Motor Trend Video: Behind-the-Scenes Development of the Lexus LC 500

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-01-12-lexus-lc-500-motor-trend-400x200.jpg

Ron Kiino of Motor Trend and pro racer Randy Pobst had the chance to drive three Lexus LC 500 prototypes over the course of a year, and the result is an excellent look at the development of the new Lexus coupe.
View the original article post

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
An interesting question might be if Buick's Avista concept coupe is being targeted against the LC?;)

buick-avista-concept-live-1_653.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Meth Jayasekera said:
Actually, it is targeting the RC given it's proportions

Yeah, thanks, I think you are right. In fact, I was just getting ready to revise my post when you replied. :)

The LC also seems somewhat more hard-core and sport-oriented than the RC.

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
has anybody noticed ? lexus-int.com website mentioned that the 0-60 time is below 4.5 seconds, and in Lexus.com they said the time is 4.2 seconds ?

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
I see the Avista as a Camaro for those of us who don't want the Camaro imagery (can you say midlife crisis?) but love the performance. I can't see it as a true alternative to an RC or LC though - it's still a Buick.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
has anybody noticed ? lexus-int.com website mentioned that the 0-60 time is below 4.5 seconds, and in Lexus.com they said the time is 4.2 seconds ?

Lots of factors can affect the 0-60 time....altitude, air density/temperature, tire-compound/traction, road surface, vehicle weight/load, levelness of the road, skill of the driver, amount of engine break-in, etc.... If different testers, under even similar circumstances, come up with figures a few tenths off, that's considered normal.

Reactions
An interesting question might be if Buick's Avista concept coupe is being targeted against the LC?;)

buick-avista-concept-live-1_653.jpg
Actually since the Buick was shown at the show I dont think they developed the car with the Buick in mind.

If you look at the HP and 0-60 of the Mercedes SL, its right on par with the LC. Same goes with the BMW 650i coupe as well. Impressive considering both those cars have twin turbo V8s.

I think there will need to be a more powerful engine option soon with Lexus, really wondering what it'll turn out to be. Turbo 4 some odd liter engine like Zee Germans, or something else.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I think there will need to be a more powerful engine option soon with Lexus, really wondering what it'll turn out to be. Turbo 4 some odd liter engine like Zee Germans, or something else.

With many automakers, both bread-and-butter and premium, the 2.0L turbo four is rapidly becoming the mainstream engine for their mid-sized vehicles, with V6s (sometimes turbo V6s) on the higher-level ones and smaller turbo fours on the base/entry-level ones. V8s seem to be reserved, now, more and more, for the very top-levels, purpose-designed high-performance cars, and heavier-duty work trucks.