Details on the Next-Generation Lexus Infotainment System

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-06-04-lexus-enform-system-400x200.jpg

This week at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Toyota announced an agreement with Ford to use the SmartDeviceLink platform in future versions of their infotainment systems.
View the original article post

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
Anything to upgrade the pathetic experience on both Toyotas and Lexus screens. I get why they partnered with Ford, its about keeping control but having the ability to connect with CarPlay. Sh*t is so confusing but my understanding is I will be able to use my iPhone/CarPlay when it is activated/paired. This is not something Toyota/Lexus can take their precious time developing. It needs to be on the market yesterday.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
From what the Jalopnik article says in the corrections section, the Ford standard doesn't preclude supporting Android Auto or Apple's CarPlay; Ford themselves are going to support both apparently. I'm good with the connectivity options in my '15 LS except for the lack of CarPlay.

And although I'm mostly OK with the current feature set, I'd like to see a new hardware platform with at least double the pixel density, a significantly faster processor, and a touchscreen instead of the stupid joystick thing. Toyota/Lexus chose to abandon touchscreens right as they became ubiquitous in daily life, and I keep waiting for them to realize it was a dumb idea.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
there is so much annoying confusion with media doing most of it. This has nothing to do with carplay or android auto... this is common interface for app makers to use to write apps for Toyota, Ford vehicles... QNX signed up for this, which is base for both Toyota and Ford infotainment. QNX is adding support for Car Play and Android Auto, hence Ford is getting it and likely Toyota as well.

It is not a fight against Car Play or Android Auto which are very poor in features right now (but it is good for future proofing), it is to support billion smart phones that dont have ability to do Car Play or Android Auto.

Reactions
I find that younger folks with iPhones want CarPlay, so it will be interesting to see if this sways buyers away if this were not offered. Popcorn at 10.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I find that younger folks with iPhones want CarPlay, so it will be interesting to see if this sways buyers away if this were not offered. Popcorn at 10.

From site sponsor Beatsonic :)

Beat-Sonic announces development of the all new OEM Connected Interface to operate Apple CarPlay in Lexus vehicles.

La Mirada, CA, January 2, 2016– Beat-Sonic USA is pleased to announce development of the all new OEM Connected Interface to operate Apple CarPlay in Lexus vehicles with factory navigation system.

Leveraging over 20 years of experience in stereo and multimedia interfaces, Beat-Sonic has developed the all new OEM Connected Interface to provide cutting edge smartphone connectivity standards such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for vehicles that do not have native OEM support. Product launch is estimated for June 2016 with initial production units designed for current Lexus GS and soon to be expanded to suit RX, IS, NX, GX, LX and more.
The new OEM Connected Interface enables Apple CarPlay to be seamlessly integrated into the vehicles factory multimedia system and is operated using OEM equipped functions including, but not limited to, the multimedia screen, pointing device, speakers and microphone. Designed for fast and easy installation, the interface is completely plug and play without the need for cutting or splicing the factory wiring harness.

A working prototype will be displayed and demonstrated during 2016 CES in Las Vegas at the Beat-Sonic booth located in the North Hall, booth number 3325 from January 6-9.

Last edited:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Dammit, I really want Android Auro, because I love my android phone, and even if there was a better alternative, I wouldn't want it without material design. See what material design is here: https://www.google.com/design/spec/material-design/introduction.html