Lexus Sales in Australia Have Big Jump in 2015

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-12-11-lexus-australia-sales-400x200.jpg

Lexus sales in Australia have grown 29% this year, with the brand on track to sell at least 8,500 vehicles as compared to 7,000 in 2014.
View the original article post

D

DDas

*still bothered that US had to get the ugly base NX grille and not the nice one as shown in the pic above* Stupid regulation laws in the US :/ Anyways, glad to hear sales are booming! Proud of the NX for outselling the competition as well.

Reactions: RAL

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
*still bothered that US had to get the ugly base NX grille and not the nice one as shown in the pic above* Stupid regulation laws in the US :/ Anyways, glad to hear sales are booming! Proud of the NX for outselling the competition as well.
That's because it's the front of the non-F Sport. The F Sport has the Spindle Grille design, and the no-F Sport grille has the horizontal lines. Both look pretty sporty, sometimes I like the stock grille more.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Great news coming out of the land down under!

NX has truly been a game changing product for Lexus. While RX has been Lexus' standout model in the US, I believe that globally, NX is the product that will really push growth for the brand in the future, and the news this year has proven that fact to be true.

I know that Lexus is a little slow with new product inceptions - often wanting to test the waters before going full blast - but I wish we had a few more NX models in the lineup. Specifically, a V6 model ( NX 350?) and higher performance NX F Sport model. I don't see a need for a full blown NX F, but something with standard AWD, performance touches and a 320-350hp V6 would be able to take on the X3 M Sport and SQ5. Surprisingly, I see a lot of SQ5s here in Atlanta, and that segment is hot with the Macan, F-Pace and others. I would like to see the NX 300h get the IS 300h's more sophisticated hybrid powertrain as well.

With the NX having now proven in it's place in the pecking order below the RX, I would also like to see some more interior refinement - hopefully at the model's refresh. RX interior is so luxurious and well appointed... there is a big gap between it and the NX, and some other competitors like the GLC offer much more lavish appointments. A larger nav screen, some more stitching on the dash and doors, new trim materials and more use of them... those items would go a long way.

None the less, bravo to Lexus.

D

DDas

That's because it's the front of the non-F Sport. The F Sport has the Spindle Grille design, and the no-F Sport grille has the horizontal lines. Both look pretty sporty, sometimes I like the stock grille more.
That's not what I meant. The reason we have a different grille is because the NX had to be identified as a truck due to it's fuel economy. The picture I posted shows how the rest of the world's base, NON FSPORT model has a better looking grille.

Attachments

• ever-wondered-why-the-us-lexus-nx-has-a-different-bumper-84679_1.jpg
    ever-wondered-why-the-us-lexus-nx-has-a-different-bumper-84679_1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 10

RAL

Reactions
We own a non- F Sport with the chopped-off grille bottom ... the look is okay visually when viewed directly from in front. It is the side view ... someone on this site wrote: "It looks like a catfish with an overbite!" The F-Sport front grille side view is the way it was intended to look and handsome to say the least! Really miss the automatic power folding side view mirrors (which are not available on the NX in the US) like we had on our RX ... ... I could live in Australia :)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I could live in Australia :)

Do you think you could get used to driving like this?....and on the left side of the road?

(or are you from a country with right-hand-drive, and used to it?)

Seattle-Lexus-NX-300h-F-SPORT-28-e1407165818684.jpg

I've driven a couple of right-hand drive cars in America (one of them an old Rolls-Royce)....and it is a weird feeling and perspective driving that way....even on the right hand side of the road. As a licensed pilot, I also found it more difficult flying an airplane from the right seat in the cockpit...especially side-slipping the plane into the wind on a crosswind landing.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I've driven in UK several times, including manuals. Kept me alert at least.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Great news coming out of the land down under!

NX has truly been a game changing product for Lexus. While RX has been Lexus' standout model in the US, I believe that globally, NX is the product that will really push growth for the brand in the future, and the news this year has proven that fact to be true.

I know that Lexus is a little slow with new product inceptions - often wanting to test the waters before going full blast - but I wish we had a few more NX models in the lineup. Specifically, a V6 model ( NX 350?) and higher performance NX F Sport model. I don't see a need for a full blown NX F, but something with standard AWD, performance touches and a 320-350hp V6 would be able to take on the X3 M Sport and SQ5. Surprisingly, I see a lot of SQ5s here in Atlanta, and that segment is hot with the Macan, F-Pace and others. I would like to see the NX 300h get the IS 300h's more sophisticated hybrid powertrain as well.

With the NX having now proven in it's place in the pecking order below the RX, I would also like to see some more interior refinement - hopefully at the model's refresh. RX interior is so luxurious and well appointed... there is a big gap between it and the NX, and some other competitors like the GLC offer much more lavish appointments. A larger nav screen, some more stitching on the dash and doors, new trim materials and more use of them... those items would go a long way.

None the less, bravo to Lexus.

I believe the US is actually an exceptional market relative to the others globally regarding RX sales. The RX is the best-seller in the US but in Canada for instance, we LOVE compact-class vehicles from sedans, coupes, to CUVs/SUVs which is why to no surprise, the NX is neck-and-neck with the RX in sales. And I suspect that the NX hasn't overtaken sales of the RX YTD simply because of the better deals on '15 RX making it almost the same cost as the NX. But come Jan '16 onwards, with the significantly higher price of admission (+5K) on the new RX versus the prior one, the NX shall easily be the Lexus sales volume leader in Canada. I believe other markets globally seem to also have a preference for compact versus midsize SUVs which should put the NX on center stage of the Lexus brand.

I have DarthNX for 1 year now (already!) and agree on some additional interior refinements like the lower plastics on the dash and doors, but it's "ok" (to me) for the price of admission. My pet peeve with the NX is the engine. I'd focus on refining the 2L Turbo's responsiveness and low rpm vibrations. This CUV would be close to a perfect 10 with these improvements or better yet, with a small V6, even the detuned 3.5L V6 in the IS 300 AWD would be awesome!

That's not what I meant. The reason we have a different grille is because the NX had to be identified as a truck due to it's fuel economy. The picture I posted shows how the rest of the world's base, NON FSPORT model has a better looking grille.

Yep, CAFE reasons, but what's a mystery to me is the RX got away with a full bumper on regular models yet it outsells the NX almost 3-to-1 in the US. o_O

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
I could live in Australia :)

Do you think you could get used to driving like this?....and on the left side of the road?

(or are you from a country with right-hand-drive, and used to it?)

Seattle-Lexus-NX-300h-F-SPORT-28-e1407165818684.jpg

I've driven a couple of right-hand drive cars in America (one of them an old Rolls-Royce)....and it is a weird feeling and perspective driving that way....even on the right hand side of the road. As a licensed pilot, I also found it more difficult flying an airplane from the right seat in the cockpit...especially side-slipping the plane into the wind on a crosswind landing.
It's great to see another pilot here. Fixed wing and considering rotary.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It's great to see another pilot here. Fixed wing and considering rotary.

Congratulations on your wings....and good luck in your additional training. :) It's tougher than ever in today's highly-restricted post-9-11 airspace and tightly-regulated environment.

I'm retired from the FAA....33 years.

Always did like the aviation world (and I was once a tour guide at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.). But, as you might guess from being on a forum like this, my first love (presumably like yours) is cars ;)....especially nice comfortable cars. ;)

Last edited:

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
Congratulations on your wings....and good luck in your additional training. :) It's tougher than ever in today's highly-restricted post-9-11 airspace and tightly-regulated environment.

I'm retired from the FAA....33 years.

Always did like the aviation world (and I was once a tour guide at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.). But, as you might guess from being on a forum like this, my first love (presumably like yours) is cars ;)....especially nice comfortable cars. ;)

Perhaps it's time to step it up a notch and do a Virgin Galactic experience.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

I actually prefer the US grille personally.

Reactions
In Australia, the Land Cruiser Prado is sold there as a Toyota, like it has for years. What if Aussie Lexus dealers were to have the LCP in its portfolio as the GX? I would bet it would be even more popular than here.