Orders for New Lexus RX in Japan Exceed Yearly Sales Goal

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-12-01-lexus-japan-pre-orders-400x200.jpg

Lexus Japan have received 9,000 pre-orders for the new RX, exceeding the monthly sales goal of 500 units by 1,800%.
View the original article post

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Wow...just amazing...too bad Lexus doesn't bring the RX 200t to the U.S., Canada and Mexico. I'm sure it would sell well. Expand the RX line:

RX 200t
RX 350
RX 450h

F Sport all variants as well...

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
So the wrestling campaign worked - so much that supplying the demand and maintaining the positive PR could be a serious challenge.

Reactions: CIF

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
The fact that the NX, LX, and RX is getting so many orders is proving that Lexus is getting bigger and bigger! Too bad the ordering people have to wait for so long since Lexus doesn't like make making more cars right away.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Their sales goal is just 500 a month?? haha...

Well it's Japan, where larger vehicles like this typically don't sell in large numbers. So this is certainly a surprise, but a very welcome one!

Wow...just amazing...too bad Lexus doesn't bring the RX 200t to the U.S., Canada and Mexico. I'm sure it would sell well. Expand the RX line:

RX 200t
RX 350
RX 450h

F Sport all variants as well...

I disagree IMHO. Personally I feel the 2.0T engine is not a good fit for a vehicle with the size and weight of the RX. Some overseas markets that get this engine in the RX are mainly dictated by tax rates on engine displacement. We don't have such a system here in North America.

I personally would much rather see a V8 offered in the RX in North America, over the 2.0T engine.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
So the wrestling campaign worked - so much that supplying the demand and maintaining the positive PR could be a serious challenge.

I have nothing to back this up, but I have to think that announcing this level of demand is a PR move all on its own. There's no way Lexus doesn't know exactly how many vehicles will sell in Japan. I also think if there was so much demand it was affecting consumer perception, Lexus would just divert inventory.

But maybe you're right, maybe it was all due to the wrestling campaign! :D

mikeavelli

Reactions
I have nothing to back this up, but I have to think that announcing this level of demand is a PR move all on its own. There's no way Lexus doesn't know exactly how many vehicles will sell in Japan. I also think if there was so much demand it was affecting consumer perception, Lexus would just divert inventory.

But maybe you're right, maybe it was all due to the wrestling campaign! :D

I agree, every new release in Japan sounds the same "omg orders are 10 million billion past expectTions"..

For those that don't know the process there is completely different than here. There is no inventory and no negotiating price. You go to the dealer, order your Lexus as you want and wait for it to arrive.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I feel the 2.0T engine is not a good fit for a vehicle with the size and weight of the RX. Some overseas markets that get this engine in the RX are mainly dictated by tax rates on engine displacement. We don't have such a system here in North America.

Like it or not, even independent of displacement-taxes like we see in some countries, the upcoming CAFE standards in the U.S. are going to be (effectively) dictating the size of engines. That's why a number of mainstream vehicles are even losing V6s, never mind V8s.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I agree, every new release in Japan sounds the same "omg orders are 10 million billion past expectTions"..

For those that don't know the process there is completely different than here. There is no inventory and no negotiating price. You go to the dealer, order your Lexus as you want and wait for it to arrive.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that's how the Japanese process works. Well that certainly makes this announcement more of a clever marketing exercise then :D.

Like it or not, even independent of displacement-taxes like we see in some countries, the upcoming CAFE standards in the U.S. are going to be (effectively) dictating the size of engines. That's why a number of mainstream vehicles are even losing V6s, never mind V8s.

I don't fully buy that line of thinking. The CAFE standards are for an average that apply to categories of vehicles and entire brands. The CAFE standards do not apply to individual vehicles. Even with the new CAFE standards, some automakers will still continue to offer a wide availability of V8s.

The new CAFE standards are not a strong enough reason to be canning V8s or V6s. Frankly, I see it more as an excuse for some automakers to take the "easy" way out and stick in a smaller turbo engine in there, to take advantage of the EPA ratings, and get higher EPA ratings, and therefore higher CAFE numbers. Yet real-world fuel economy will be markedly worse, and the drivability experience for the average person won't be as pleasant. We've already seen enough evidence of this with new small turbo engines from a number of brands over the last few years.

Those automakers that are still strongly committed to offering V6s and V8s that customers want, they can still meet the new CAFE numbers through strong research and development, ingenuity, and further development and advancement of V6 and V8 engines.

A lot of people, myself included, may vote with their wallets, and refuse to buy these small turbo engine vehicles, and stick to used large engine vehicles.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Thanks for the info, didn't know that's how the Japanese process works. Well that certainly makes this announcement more of a clever marketing exercise then :D.

I don't fully buy that line of thinking. The CAFE standards are for an average that apply to categories of vehicles and entire brands. The CAFE standards do not apply to individual vehicles. Even with the new CAFE standards, some automakers will still continue to offer a wide availability of V8s.

The new CAFE standards are not a strong enough reason to be canning V8s or V6s. Frankly, I see it more as an excuse for some automakers to take the "easy" way out and stick in a smaller turbo engine in there, to take advantage of the EPA ratings, and get higher EPA ratings, and therefore higher CAFE numbers. Yet real-world fuel economy will be markedly worse, and the drivability experience for the average person won't be as pleasant. We'll already seen enough evidence of this with new small turbo engines from a number of brands over the last few years.

Those automakers that are still strongly committed to offering V6s and V8s that customers want, they can still meet the new CAFE numbers through strong research and development, ingenuity, and further development and advancement of V6 and V8 engines.

A lot of people, myself included, may vote with their wallets, and refuse to buy these small turbo engine vehicles, and stick to used large engine vehicles.

Thank you. We've never had more v-8s and 300/400/500/600/1000 hp cars.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

If I'm in the market for a V8 GS in the future and can't afford a GS F...2GS here I come :D (unless Lexus adds the V8 back to the regular GS lineup).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

True.....for now. I won't contest that. But my point was that I don't think it is going to last. There are already some ominous signs of that....and, in mid-size sedans, even the disappearance of V6s.....Fusion, Sonata, Optima, Malibu, etc.....

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

The new CAFE standards are not a strong enough reason to be canning V8s or V6s. Frankly, I see it more as an excuse for some automakers to take the "easy" way out and stick in a smaller turbo engine in there, to take advantage of the EPA ratings, and get higher EPA ratings, and therefore higher CAFE numbers. Yet real-world fuel economy will be markedly worse, and the drivability experience for the average person won't be as pleasant. We've already seen enough evidence of this with new small turbo engines from a number of brands over the last few years.

Actually, I'm with you on the pros and cons of the issue. I just see it a little more coming from governmental actions....that's all.

Installing turbo-fours instead of N/A V6s is not necessarily cheaper. Turbos are generally more costly to produce, because of the added hardware required....turbo housings, rotor/impellers, compressor blades, ductwork, wastegates, turbo-boost-gauges (if equipped), larger radiators, and, on the newest ones, coolant-housings to absorb heat. Plus, they often require the use of more expensive full-synthetic oil.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
True.....for now. I won't contest that. But my point was that I don't think it is going to last. There are already some ominous signs of that....and, in mid-size sedans, even the disappearance of V6s.....Fusion, Sonata, Optima, Malibu, etc.....

None of those are top sellers. I'd also imagine once more and more people experience the driveability of those small turbo engines, as well as the maintenance many of them require, they'll think twice about purchasing such engines.

The segment leaders in the midsize sedan class; the Camry, Accord, and Altima all significantly still offer a V6 option.

Actually, I'm with you on the pros and cons of the issue. I just see it a little more coming from governmental actions....that's all.

Installing turbo-fours instead of N/A V6s is not necessarily cheaper. Turbos are generally more costly to produce, because of the added hardware required....turbo housings, rotor/impellers, compressor blades, ductwork, wastegates, turbo-boost-gauges (if equipped), larger radiators, and, on the newest ones, coolant-housings to absorb heat. Plus, they often require the use of more expensive full-synthetic oil.

That's exactly the point, they're not cheaper. Often the small turbos are more expensive to produce than the V6 engines. Yes also another point about premium fuel being a requirement much of the time. Furthermore, maintenance costs are often higher than with a simple V6 engine.

So cost is not the reason, and CAFE rules are an easy excuse, but not a good enough reason for certain brands to be dumping V6s and V8s. As I said, the real reason, in my opinion, as that it is an easy, or lazy way to increase CAFE numbers. It's well known now that those small turbos tend to do really well on the EPA test, but get noticeably worse fuel economy in real world driving conditions. That's besides all the other factors already mentioned.

Sure, some drivers might like these turbo engines, who are performance-minded or of a tuner mentality. Most regular drivers though probably don't prefer them over a naturally aspirated engine.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
None of those are top sellers. I'd also imagine once more and more people experience the driveability of those small turbo engines, as well as the maintenance many of them require, they'll think twice about purchasing such engines.

The segment leaders in the midsize sedan class; the Camry, Accord, and Altima all significantly still offer a V6 option.

.........for now. ;)

That's exactly the point, they're not cheaper. Often the small turbos are more expensive to produce than the V6 engines.

Yes also another point about premium fuel being a requirement much of the time. Furthermore, maintenance costs are often higher than with a simple V6 engine.

I think you misread my previous post. I did state, as you are stating here, that turbos were sometimes more expensive to produce then N/A V6s. The newest generation of turbos, though, from several automakers, can run on 87 Octane. But they still generally require full-synthetic oil.

Sure, some drivers might like these turbo engines, who are performance-minded or of a tuner mentality. Most regular drivers though probably don't prefer them over a naturally aspirated engine.

If you mean a naturally-aspirated engine in the same max-power range, I'd agree....most drivers would take the power without the complexity and added maintenance. Some people, though, just either want (or need) power, for various reasons, and will take it any way they can get it.

I, personally, would far prefer a N/A V6 to an (equivalent or better) turbo four, but then, I'm not a particularly aggressive driver, and I tend to like comfort, refined engine characteristics, and smoothness. ;)

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Well it's Japan, where larger vehicles like this typically don't sell in large numbers. So this is certainly a surprise, but a very welcome one!

I disagree IMHO. Personally I feel the 2.0T engine is not a good fit for a vehicle with the size and weight of the RX. Some overseas markets that get this engine in the RX are mainly dictated by tax rates on engine displacement. We don't have such a system here in North America.

I personally would much rather see a V8 offered in the RX in North America, over the 2.0T engine.

This is really true -- the previous RXs didn't sell in large numbers in Japan. When my friend in Tokyo knew I was going to buy a RX a few years ago, he thought it is really a big SUV. On the other hand, the luxury minivans (Toyota Alphard, Nissan Elgrand, etc) are popular there.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions

Yes, no price negotiation and no inventory. I was surprised when I learned about this.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yes, no price negotiation and no inventory. I was surprised when I learned about this.

I was shocked going to my first dealer there. There were no cars! Just a few in the showroom and in the repair bay.