Is Lexus Planning to Develop a Mid-Size Truck?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-12-02-lexus-truck-development-400x200.jpg

According to a Motoring Australia interview with Lexus product planning manager Makoto Tanaka, the brand is currently evaluating the addition of a truck to the lineup.
View the original article post

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I say yes but base it on the Tundra to compete with the Cadillac EXT version of their luxury truck...

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
It would probably be based on the Toyota Hilux that's not sold in the U.S. I say no, they should focus more on a convertible RC and more F models.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The question of luxury-brand pickups (and experimentation on the part of automakers) has been brought up before. In general, the results have not been promising. Lincoln tried a Blackwood model, based on the Ford F-150, that had (of all things) rare polished African wood used for its bed, of all places. Almost nobody is going to buy a pickup like that for any truly functional use.....and indeed, only about 1100 or so of them ended up being made. Then Lincoln tried something else.......the Mark LT, a later version of the F-150, with more conventional Lincoln-style trim on it, and a bed that was actually usable and made some sense. Still very low sales....and a cancellation. Cadillac tried with the Escalade EXT...an upmarket Chevy Avalanche, based on the Silverado platform, with a trick multi-use bed that expanded with a drop-down rear partition behind the cabin. This one was a little more successful than the two Lincoln attempts, and remained in production from 2002 to 2013, though sales were never very impressive, and eventually tanked. I could be wrong, but I see little reason to believe that Lexus would have any more success than Cadillac or Lincoln did with this type of vehicle.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Interesting render, but I don't know if there's a market for a Lexus truck.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
My instinct says hell no but when I think about it, maybe.

Australians love their trucks, so does the southern hemisphere. There is possibly a market for it, but the introduction of the trucks wouldn't be the product that Lexus needs.

Lexus needs to focus on building its core and then branch out onto other markets once it has steady footing. Currently, Lexus has not yet wowed enough to put its name up there as the car manufacturer that a significant portion of the world looks up to.

Lexus needs to introduce a new LFA, they need to build something great. They need it now more than ever.

The new LS will do that and so will a new super car. They need to prove to the world that they can consistently build super cars, market leading power trains and dominate the luxury market.

If they don't do that they will remain as Lexus, we build reliable cars but do you remember the LFA?

LexusTechSA

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm in two minds about this. One part of me thinks it could be awesome and as a Hilux owner I love pick-ups. In South Africa we have even had customers asking if Lexus would ever make a pick-up. But it would be better if they based it off the Tundra so it could be offered with the V8s petrol and diesel. But the other part of me is not sure it would be a good idea.

@ GSCT Lamborghini makes tractors too :p

@Tinhinnh I have heard of customers in Asia asking for a luxury van, I think Lexus should maybe look into that before a pick-up

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
Some full size trucks can reach upward of $60K already, I dont think we need mfgs making luxury trucks.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Some full size trucks can reach upward of $60K already, I dont think we need mfgs making luxury trucks.

This is part of the reason I don't think it will (or should) happen. The Tacoma in Limited trim with options is already a $40k truck. A Lexus midsize pickup would have to be priced higher than that. Also, with how well the Tacoma sells, in my opinion, it wouldn't make sense for Lexus to create a truck that would potentially bite into those sales.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm in two minds about this. One part of me thinks it could be awesome and as a Hilux owner I love pick-ups. In South Africa we have even had customers asking if Lexus would ever make a pick-up. But it would be better if they based it off the Tundra so it could be offered with the V8s petrol and diesel. But the other part of me is not sure it would be a good idea.

@ GSCT Lamborghini makes tractors too :p

@Tinhinnh I have heard of customers in Asia asking for a luxury van, I think Lexus should maybe look into that before a pick-up

Porsche makes tractors as well...:p

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I really think that Lexus should make it. Mercedes has a habit of making the new luxury classes it creates popular, so if Lexus gets into the game before anybody or at least everybody except for BMW, Audi, etc. it would be pretty good. On the other hand, Lexus needs to create more F models, a CT F to compete with the A 45 AMG, a redesigned IS F, to compete with the M3, C63 AMG s, and ATS-V. An LS F to compete with the S 63 AMG, S8 and Alpina B7. Also RX, NX and LX F to compete with all the high performance SUVs and Crossovers on the market. I also doubt that sales would be high for the pickup, so I would go with more F models. Motoring Australia loves to interview Lexus, so they should really ask if they are planning on new F models.

Reactions
Lexus should skip the big trucks and leave that for Caddy and the others. Luxury and truck is like mixing oil and water. Lexus does not have follow Mercedes or BMW every whim, Lexus didn't launch a sub 30k vehicle, it's cheapens the brand, a truck would do the same, leave it to Toyota, besides Toyota makes some pretty upscale vehicles, Avalon and the Camry are now "near" luxury cars. Add the bells and whistles to the Tundra, scale that vehicle upwards.