Fifth Gear Comparison: The Lexus RC F vs. BMW M4

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-11-29-lexus-rc-f-bmw-m4-400x200.jpg

Tiff Needell and race car driver Karun Chandhok compare the Lexus RC F and BMW M4 in this enjoyable three-part video series from Fifth Gear.
View the original article post

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Wow, a great comparison! I haven't seen a comparison this entertaining in a long time!

Kudos to Fifth Gear for highlighting in a lighthearted way, the different ownership experiences both vehicles give, even though this was only a performance comparison. In the first part, all the problems that the BMW was giving just for launch control to work was very indicative of the general ownership experience. To do a lot of seemingly straightforward tasks on the BMW, requires highly complicated procedures. Also it was not surprising that the launch control was ineffective on a damp track for the BMW. BMWs are often built and tuned for narrow performance windows, whereas the Lexus cars tend to do well in a larger variety of conditions. This test was evidence of that. The BMW in damp conditions had very snappy and twitchy handling, while it made no difference to the RC F. It remained composed and stable.

Kudos for Fifth Gear for doing the test in less-than-perfect conditions, on a damp track. This reminds of a few years back when the LFA came out. There were a couple of media outlets that tested the LFA in cold or damp conditions. I recall one test on a very cold day where the LFA managed to set a lap record on a particular European track (can't remember which one). More importantly it outperformed, in the same cold conditions, a much higher-powered car, it might have been a GT-R, or something else. Then I remember another comparison on a wet track, where the LFA achieved a better track time than many higher-powered exotics it was compared against.

Now in this overall comparison, the only reason the M4 won was due to the double points awarded for the last part of the comparison. Objectively speaking, the RC F beat the M4 in the first part, they tied in the 2nd, and the M4 won the last part. So technically it should have been a tie. No points were given for engine sound, and also nothing was mentioned about all the time wasted trying to figure out the M4's launch control. They should have taken away some points for the M4 regarding the problematic launch control, and also the fact that they actually called a BMW engineer about it.

This just reinforces the results of other fairly objective tests and comparisons that involved the RC F and M4, and specifically the focus on ownership experience. Regardless of the small performance differences between the two, the big difference is that with the RC F you can just get in, and go, and drive it with confidence in a variety of conditions. The M4 though, you need to go through complicated steps for certain settings, and you also need to be very careful and aware of the weather conditions. The M4 seems to be very temperamental and touchy with the road conditions, in contrast to the RC F that remains very stable. If you look at the goal Lexus had with the RC F, they achieved it. The RC F gives the average driver plenty of confidence in lots of conditions. To feel confident in the M4, you need to be a pretty good driver in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions
The next RCF replacement will eat the BMW for breakfast.

But Lexus should really start using more composite materials to shed some weight. They could make good use of the carbon fibre know-hows they learnt from making the LFA.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Fifth gear is always fair. Remember guys even the LFA was bashed when it came out even by Jeremy Clarkson until Tiff drove it.

Yes, they're usually known as the more fair of the two between Top Gear, and less 'exaggerated' comedy.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
The M4 seems to be very temperamental and touchy with the road conditions, in contrast to the RC F that remains very stable. If you look at the goal Lexus had with the RC F, they achieved it. The RC F gives the average driver plenty of confidence in lots of conditions. To feel confident in the M4, you need to be a pretty good driver in the first place.

The M4 looked so twitchy in this video -- all fine and dandy for race car drivers, but I would probably have a heart attack and then crash.

The thing I remember from an RC F/M4 comparison, and I don't remember which one, is that the RC F is so easy to drive but feels like you're at the limit of the vehicle. There's more room at the top end of the M4, but you have be experienced to get there.

Reactions: CIF
Reactions
Fifth gear is always fair. Remember guys even the LFA was bashed when it came out even by Jeremy Clarkson until Tiff drove it.
He did? I thought he said it's his fav car on TG is the LFA?

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
The M4 looked so twitchy in this video -- all fine and dandy for race car drivers, but I would probably have a heart attack and then crash.

The thing I remember from an RC F/M4 comparison, and I don't remember which one, is that the RC F is so easy to drive but feels like you're at the limit of the vehicle. There's more room at the top end of the M4, but you have be experienced to get there.

Yes, so twitchy in fact, that the professional race car driver in the video still managed to easily spin out with it. I'm exactly the same way. I'm not a professional or race car driver by any means, and I totally agree with you. I'd probably lose confidence quickly in the M4, because as a personal preference I like cars with a stable feel.

Ultimately I like the RC F and what Lexus is doing with F cars because it gives choice in the marketplace, a choice which is different than the rest of the competition.

If I recall correctly, initially Jeremy Clarkson bashed the LFA when it first came out, but later came to love it.

VooDooXT

Premium Member
Reactions
M4 with around 12,000 pounds option, 200 kilios lighter and faster than RC-F only .5 second. For me RC-F is winner here.

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
Great review! I for one am pleasantly surprised at how well it performed in comparison to the M4. Even if the outcome may have been slightly different in completely dry conditions, the RC F appears to be the logical choice for everyday driving. Would love to see it pitched against the new C63 AMG as well.

Now if only Lexus in South Africa would show that they're taking the South African market seriously by making it available for ordering (such a shame that we don't have it - yet?)

Axel

Fan
Reactions
Lol the first time the LFA did a hot lap on top gear Jeremy Clarkson refused to drove claiming it was pointless and over price it was very similar to what he did to the RCF. He changed when everybody was praising the LFA, he had to change otherwise he was going to loose all credit