No Plans for Lexus RX F High Performance Crossover

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-11-26-lexus-rx-f-sport-400x200.jpg

Motoring Australia spoke with Lexus RX product planner Makoto Tanaka about the possibility of a high-performance RX F.
View the original article post

Reactions
I think they will eventually make it, ever since the FSport version came out, I've seen more of those than the regular RX's around the city!! And if they make the F model, for sure there will be buyers, customers want options and things that stand out from the crowed.

TripleL

Premium Member
Reactions
Not surprising, but slightly disappointing nonetheless.

As already stated there will be plenty other F cars in the near future.

Reactions
I think Lexus will make an RX F but not for this generation. As from a previous interview, Lexus has no plans to make any of its FWD cars/SUV's into an F version. So what I see is Lexus making an RX F on the next generation RX because by that time the F brand will be the next generation engines with turbo chargers and to a possibly RWD RX

Reactions
I think Lexus will make an RX F but not for this generation. As from a previous interview, Lexus has no plans to make any of its FWD cars/SUV's into an F version. So what I see is Lexus making an RX F on the next generation RX because by that time the F brand will be the next generation engines with turbo chargers and to a possibly RWD RX
Yes, I agree. 4wd based on rwd RX is something possible in future. But all I want from F brand are lightweight RCF, GSF with more HP, quick and luxury LCF/LSF, and maybe a LEXUS VERSION super "supra" .lol

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
Well... That's disappointing...
It's a very lovely car, at least they should offer something like RX 460 or something, giving it more hp and torque.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It's a very lovely car, at least they should offer something like RX 460 or something, giving it more hp and torque.

Its basic design and chassis doesn't seem to be set up for a V8 and FWD. Besides, Lexus, to my knowledge, has never done a purely FWD vehicle with a V8 simply due to torque-steer concerns....though modern drivetrain an steering engineering can deal with that to some extent. Even if they tried an AWD V8 version, though, you still might have issues with fitting an engine that size up front in a transverse (sideways) layout. Cadillac tried some sideways/V8/FWD designs in the past with the similiar-sized 4.6L Northstar engine, and there were several problems with it.

Last edited:

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions

Its basic design and chassis doesn't seem to be set up for a V8 and FWD. Besides, Lexus, to my knowledge, has never done a purely FWD vehicle with a V8 simply due to torque-steer concerns....though modern drivetrain an steering engineering can deal with that to some extent. Even if they tried an AWD V8 version, though, you still might have issues with fitting an engine that size up front in a transverse (sideways) layout. Cadillac tried some sideways/V8/FWD designs in the past with the similiar-sized 4.6L Northstar engine, and there were several problems with it.
Yes you are right, But that would not be an issue if they had already planned for it to carry a V8.
The car just needs more power.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes you are right, But that would not be an issue if they had already planned for it to carry a V8.
The car just needs more power.

They are (probably) saving that for either the next-Generation GX or LX (if one of those two models are not dropped in the American market). Right now, there seems to be more of a demand in the RX for a 3rd-row seat (or a similar 3-row crossover SUV) than for a V8. But, of course, your opinion (and desires ) noted. :)

mikeavelli

Reactions
From my understanding all F products will start with a RWD platform..that said I would have gone for a RX F no questions asked....300hp or so is very ten years ago and some of us want higher performance SUVs. Obviously the Germans figured this out quite sometime ago and even Land Rover with their first ever SUV aimed fully at sport with the SVR.

The wife really likes the new RX a ton, I am forced to choose between the same 3.5 V-6 I've had in some form or another for over 8 years and a 450h I had in a GS form 6 years ago. Its not compelling anymore though the 450h power/rating is impressive.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I would have gone for a RX F no questions asked....

.....RWD, with a V8? Like Alshamsi and I were discussing, that would probably require a complete platform re-design. They might (?) be able to integrate a full-F package, twin-turbo V6 into the basic design.....I'm not sure.

The wife really likes the new RX a ton,

Well, hopefully, since Hubby heads a Lexus forum, she won't have to wait in line like everyone else is doing LOL. :D;)
(j/k)

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Being based on the Camry architecture (and surely TNGA in the next generation), I doubt we'll ever see an RX F because of the investment it would require to reengineer components to accommodate 400-500hp. You're talking frame reinforcement, differentials, braces, driveline components and much more.

This is one of the main reasons I'm hoping Lexus has plans somewhere for a CUV based on the GS or RWD TNGA architecture. That's our only hope for getting an "F" CUV from Lexus.

mikeavelli

Reactions
.....RWD, with a V8? Like Alshamsi and I were discussing, that would probably require a complete platform re-design. They might (?) be able to integrate a full-F package, twin-turbo V6 into the basic design.....I'm not sure.

Well, hopefully, since Hubby heads a Lexus forum, she won't have to wait in line like everyone else is doing LOL. :D;)
(j/k)
To clarify, what I meant is from what I've been told, any Lexus F will start from a RWD platform. So yeah a RX F is wishful thinking.

As for the wait, we will see :)

mikeavelli

Reactions
Being based on the Camry architecture (and surely TNGA in the next generation), I doubt we'll ever see an RX F because of the investment it would require to reengineer components to accommodate 400-500hp. You're talking frame reinforcement, differentials, braces, driveline components and much more.

This is one of the main reasons I'm hoping Lexus has plans somewhere for a CUV based on the GS or RWD TNGA architecture. That's our only hope for getting an "F" CUV from Lexus.

I think there is a huge opportunity here. The Cayenne, X5, RRS prove it.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Agree 100%. GS-based CUV with an F model would majorly ruffle feathers!

Any F model SUV would instantly be in our household. I'm sure there are a lot of people like me. Infiniti came somewhat close with the FX but there was no utility and no true high performance model.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Any F model SUV would instantly be in our household. I'm sure there are a lot of people like me. Infiniti came somewhat close with the FX but there was no utility and no true high performance model.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 fulfills that role to an extent, though, unlike the RX, it is a hit-or-miss-bet on reliability.