Is Satellite Internet Connectivity Coming to Lexus Vehicles?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-11-10-lexus-lf-lfc-broadband-internet-400x200.jpg

Toyota is reportedly working on satellite broadband Internet connectivity for Lexus vehicles, and could be introduced in the near future.
View the original article post

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
As an IT-person, I really like this.
Satellite broadband is the way to go.

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
I can see it now: "This just in... AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE except the USA. Canada and Mexico? Yes! USA? No."

Meanwhile, I am still a neglected Android user. I look forward to a Droid Turbo 2 or Lumia 950 XL as my next phone. Lexus shall remain forever Apple-biased. -__-

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
As an IT-person, I really like this.
Satellite broadband is the way to go.

As another IT person, I think it sounds good but there are issues; what happens when your car is parked:
  1. underground
  2. under shade
  3. cloudy skies
Also, I think battery use for 4G connectivity is a lot less than satellite, which leads to the next point...

I think Satellite internet will be used as a secondary connection; not a standalone one. Probably when the car is running.

Kymeta Enabled said:
Kymeta’s electronically-steered, metamaterial mTenna antenna is enabling the future of connectivity on anything that moves – from high-speed trains to the connected car and beyond.

I can see it now: "This just in... AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE except the USA. Canada and Mexico? Yes! USA? No."

Meanwhile, I am still a neglected Android user. I look forward to a Droid Turbo 2 or Lumia 950 XL as my next phone. Lexus shall remain forever Apple-biased. -__-

If this is approved by the FCC then there is no reason for it to not be implemented. :)
You have satellite radio, 4G internet on cars, why would this be any different? There are aspects that will be checked to ensure compliance with certain regulations but beyond that it's good to go. Extremely fast internet connectivity (download obviously) allowing map updates, apps, etc.. to work without hiccups. I already mentioned that I believe Lexus is planning to utilize smartphones in a previous thread. This is just proof that I'm on to something. :)

No, Lexus is not biased. It does not care what phone you use since you will connect to their servers using an App which they will launch on all platforms. You can push locations to your car, you can tell your car to start remotely, you can set the internal temperature remotely, you can find your car if you forgot where you parked. etc...

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
If a hunk a junk like Chevy can offer in car wi-fi throughout their model line-up, why is a luxury brand like Lexus lacking even the most basic connection?
I wrestled a 2015 Camaro SS convertible away from Hertz after some rental issues last week at SEMA, and I was very impressed with their One Link interface.
I even had turn by turn directions posted on the windshield via the HUD.
A little behind the competition here, Lexus.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Connectivity for me is not a high priority in a vehicle. With that said, this sounds like an interesting idea.