No Plans to Build Lexus Vehicles in China

Reactions
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...us-could-take-decades-as-toyota-frets-quality
  • Import duties make Lexus cars pricier in China than BMW, Audi
  • U.S. plant became No. 2 Lexus factory outside Japan last month
Car buyers in China may have to wait decades before Toyota Motor Corp. begins producing Lexus luxury cars locally, as the world’s largest automaker wagers they’ll favor made-in-Japan vehicles as a guarantee of quality.

While BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi all manufacture in China, Lexus has stuck to shipping finished models from Japan, incurring import taxes that make its offerings more costly. The brand remains a holdout from building locally despite indications of significant improvement in China’s auto manufacturing credentials.

“There’s too much quality risk in China to produce there,” Takashi Yamamoto, executive vice president of Lexus International and an engineer who’s worked at Toyota for 33 years. The company also still has to improve the brand’s awareness and standing among consumers. “When that difficulty is gone, maybe local production is likely to be launched in China, maybe several decades later,” he said.

As long as Lexus continues to resist building vehicles in China, it prolongs pricing disadvantages relative to locally produced German luxury cars. Import duties help push up the starting price of the Lexus IS sedan to about 369,000 yuan ($58,200). That’s a premium of about 30 percent over BMW’s 3-Series, and 35 percent more than Audi’s A4, according to auto-pricing website Autohome.

Toyota rose 1.4 percent to 7,482 yen at 9:51 a.m. in Tokyo trading, matching the gain for the benchmark Topix index.

The hesitation by Lexus contrasts with data that show the quality of vehicles made in China has improved over the years to rival those in developed markets. Standards have risen as international automakers set up plants in the country and shared expertise and manufacturing processes with their local joint venture partners.

The 5 Series cars produced at BMW’s plant in Shenyang in northeastern China have won top ranking in J.D. Power & Associates’ quality award for the past four years. The same plant has also helped a South African factory raise efficiency and reduce defect rates at its paint shop.
488x-1.png
New-vehicle owners reported 105 problems per 100 vehicles in J.D. Power’s China initial quality study, released last week. The number of problems reported has fallen from 168 in 2010, and was lower than the 112 industry average for the U.S. market this year.

“It doesn’t necessarily mean that China vehicles have better quality, but it shows the competitiveness of the China-produced vehicles,” Geoff Broderick, an automotive analyst for J.D. Power, wrote in an e-mail. More experienced production line workers, increased automation and more use of standardized quality-control processes have improved the quality of vehicles built in China, he said.

Lexus has long prided itself for home-grown craftsmanship, with artisans on Japan assembly lines donning white gloves and honing years of factory experience before being entrusted to handle final inspections. Toyota’s view that quality can be better controlled from its home market contributed to the 26-year lag between Lexus first beginning sales in the U.S. and starting production in the country.

Toyota’s Kentucky factory began assembling Lexus ES sedans last month, joining a plant in Ontario, Canada, as the luxury brand’s only production sites outside Japan.

‘Common Ground’
“Americans and Canadians have a tradition, a history of building and manufacturing automobiles, so mentality-wise we have some common ground,” Yamamoto, 57, said in an interview last week at the Tokyo Motor Show. “Chinese people, their history of building automobiles is rather short, so it’s so difficult to locally build a high-quality car there.”

Higher prices have held back Lexus sales in a market that has been a source of explosive growth for BMW AG, Volkswagen AG’s Audi and Daimler AG’s Mercedes-Benz. While Lexus set an annual global sales record of 583,000 vehicles last year, less than 15 percent of deliveries were in China. BMW sold more vehicles in China than Lexus did worldwide in 2014.

Exposure to China’s auto market has been a detriment to some automakers’ share prices this year, as slower sales growth has led some companies to discount their vehicles. Lexus can better control its pricing by importing than the German companies producing millions of vehicles in China, Yamamoto said.

“Made-in-Japan guarantees quality,” he said. “If you shift to made-in-China, there could be some peripheral issues accompanied with this.”

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Lexus is sufficiently concerned with the quality of vehicles coming out of Chinese plants that they have ruled out (at least for now) any production inside that country.....even if tariffs work against them. That, despite J.D. Power figures that show the average Chinese-built vehicle to be more reliable than the average U.S.-built one. (one reason, perhaps, why I generally put more stock in Consumer Reports for reliability than I do J.D. Power).

(Interesting, too, considering that Buick has enjoyed enormous success in China, including the manufacturing of vehicles there).

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/62526/lexus-says-no-to-chinese-manufacturing-on-quality-grounds

Kez Casey | Nov 6, 2015

Despite huge import tariffs that put imported vehicles at a disadvantage in the Chinese market, Lexus has declared that it won’t be producing cars there anytime soon, owing to questions over the quality of Chinese manufacture .

Luxury competitors, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Audi have all established joint-venture production facilities with Chinese auto makers, to cater to what is seen as a pivotal market globally.

The majority of Lexus production currently occurs at one of six factories in Japan, with two North American facilities for North American delivered RX and ES (shown at top of article) models.

In a recent interview with Bloomberg, a Lexus senior executive indicated that production would remain in Japan to ensure that production quality would be maintained.

That’s despite a pricing chasm that sees imported Lexus vehicles priced some 30-percent higher than equivalent vehicles built within China.

Executive vice president of Lexus, Takashi Yamamoto, commented that there was “...too much quality risk in China to produce there.”

While Lexus is unsure of China’s production ability, industry analyst J.D. Power’s 2015 China Initial Quality Study shows that quality is improving.

Measuring quality on 'reported problems per 100 vehicles', J.D. Power’s results showed an industry average of 105 problems per 100 vehicles in China, compared with 112 problems per 100 vehicles in the US.

Lexus fears quality won't match vehicles sourced from more experience car building markets

The rankings also split problems between Chinese domestic brands, at 120 problems per 100 vehicles, and international brands, including international joint ventures, at a below average 98 problems per 100 vehicles.

Despite the Chinese industry’s rapid quality turnaround, Yamamoto thought it might be several decades before Lexus established a production point in China.

By 'sticking to its knitting' with its existing production facilities, Lexus is saved the high cost of the investment that would be needed to establish Chinese facilities.

While European brands have enjoyed massive growth in China in recent years, the slowing Chinese economy has put the brakes on vehicle sales over the last few months.

The forecasts for the Chinese economy indicate it may fall to its lowest point in almost two decades, dragging sales of automobiles and consumer goods down with it.

Manufacturers that rely heavily on the Chinese market have been forced to reduce output, and have seen share prices drop in line with falling profit forecasts in China.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Not surprised, makes sense to me. Likely the worry is supplier quality, if I had to guess.

Reactions
I guess quality is one of Lexus' convenient excuses not to build its cars in China, but my guess is that Lexus simply does not want to share its hybrid know how with a 50% local joint venture partner as the Chinese government only allow foreign manufacturers to produce locally via partnerships with Chinese manufacturers who in return get insight into the complex manufacturing processes and technologies of western car makers - in a decade Chinese manufacturers will be as successfull as Hyundai/Kia are now-they'll learn quickly this way. Basically Lexus don't want to hand over their know how in manufacturing and hybrids to China!

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
I feel that there is a lot of personal reasoning involved in this decision, and some reasoning might have a materially monetary value.

Is this a good decision? Not really. Is it bold? Yes. Is it wrong? Not really, either.
Lexus should focus on the Kentucky for now, but as soon as the plant can be managed autonomously, all energy should be on China.

In just recent history, Toyota's manufacturing in the US has had its ups and downs, and I trust Toyota to be able to find the sweet spot in China.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
If it's for local consumption only, I don't care. If Lexus started to import Made In China automobiles for the US market, I would respond with my wallet.
To qualify my last paragraph,
I am an American born with Hispanic heritage, and I trust in both of my Japan built 2015's based on a decade of Lexus ownership.
The jury is still out on US built vehicles for me.