The Lexus LF-FC Concept: First Impressions

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-10-30-lexus-lf-fc-hero-400x200.jpg

Initial impressions of the Lexus LF-FC concept along with full live photo galleries.
View the original article post

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Man, this is the first Lexus that got me excited since the LFA. The headlights are a sight to behold. The material used in the interior is perfect. This car is as Japanese as it gets and as bold and luxurious as cars get.

The stance is perfect and the rims are defined. If this is a glimpse of the next "6 series" Lexus, count me in.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Excellent styling write-up and the best pictures of this beautiful design so far.

Super example of how good a 4 door sedan can look, Lexus has still got it. The key will be getting something close to this as possible for production.

Axel

Fan
Reactions
It looks way too European, Aston Martin look alike boring but I'm confidence LS will come out looking like a lexus

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Krew - great pics.

although I am sure interior will have plenty of buttons, as it should... when I am driving, i dont want to wave my hand in the air to change radio station or raise temperature. Ergonomics and usability have to be #1 as always with Lexus.

Reactions: CIF

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
Nice Krew. Great pictures and even better written impressions. I hope this concept makes it on to the North America tour, I'd love to see it with my own eyes.

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
It would be the BEST if the next generation of LS would take over most of this great looking concept.

RAL

Reactions
Thanks Krew for always going the extra mile for us!
I applaud how the pendulum is swinging back from severe body lines toward Lexus signature L-Finesse. The look is dynamic yet refined.

All of it works! ... the fractal mesh in the grille, the sculpted metallic trim, the grand sweep of the entire car, even the deep blue metal-flake paint, and on and on ... It is LS ... It is LC ... It is FLAGSHIP!
And too ... I hope the minimalist interior with high end materials quality (that beautiful wood!) signals the direction the production interiors will take.

Bravo Lexus!

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Krew - great pics.

although I am sure interior will have plenty of buttons, as it should... when I am driving, i dont want to wave my hand in the air to change radio station or raise temperature. Ergonomics and usability have to be #1 as always with Lexus.

I forgot to reply to this, but I fully agree with you. There is definitely such a thing as being too minimal, and past a certain point, a minimalist approach becomes counter-intuitive and regressive, instead of progressive. Lexus should simply continue being Lexus; offer buttons and tactile controls for proper ergonomics and usability of important features. There is no need to chase the Germans to see who can be the most minimalist, and who can hide the most controls deep within sub-menus.

Also a little bit of interesting trivia/context here. In other non-automotive industries, many super-luxury items have a common theme; they have extremely well thought out tactile and physical controls and buttons. With so many automakers these days desperately trying to race each other to be more minimal, it truly feels like a luxury whenever a brand firmly sticks with very intuitive and ergonomic tactile controls and buttons. I mean I'm not completely opposed to new technology; sure Lexus can throw in a hologram interface eventually if they want, but I also would like them to still keep the buttons.

The GS, NX, RX interiors all strike a perfect balance between new technology, design, and ergonomics/intuitiveness to me. I really appreciate the 4RX interior having the buttons that it has, yet it is not overwhelming.

Last edited:

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
According to DigitalTrends.com, after speaking with Lexus of Europe boss Alain Uyttenhoven, the all-new 2017 Lexus LS500 and LS600 will land next year. The Lexus LC500 production model is set to be shown in Detroit, and I highly doubt both cars will be shown at the same show, so I'd expect the LS to be shown in New York in April.

According to this information, the 5.0 V8 will make 465 HP, not much different from what it makes in the RCF, but hopefully, they can get more torque out of it. The hybrid will be V8/electric, not V6/electric, and make 535 HP, which makes some sense given they also say the future LSF sedan will be a turbo V8 making an even 600 HP. The hydrogen version comes a year later, and has a range of 239 miles (such an exact number also lends credence to the sources).

Also the TX full-size crossover is being rushed to market. Sounds like the reveal may come next year at this time and should hit dealers in early 2017. It is being described as "a second flagship" model.

Outside of a lack of torque in the V8, the LS looks like a winner, and 2016 looks like it will be a very big year for the top of the Lexus lineup.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2017-lexus-ls-hybrid-news-rumors-specs/

BD

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
According to DigitalTrends.com, after speaking with Lexus of Europe boss Alain Uyttenhoven, the all-new 2017 Lexus LS500 and LS600 will land next year. The Lexus LC500 production model is set to be shown in Detroit, and I highly doubt both cars will be shown at the same show, so I'd expect the LS to be shown in New York in April.

According to this information, the 5.0 V8 will make 465 HP, not much different from what it makes in the RCF, but hopefully, they can get more torque out of it. The hybrid will be V8/electric, not V6/electric, and make 535 HP, which makes some sense given they also say the future LSF sedan will be a turbo V8 making an even 600 HP. The hydrogen version comes a year later, and has a range of 239 miles (such an exact number also lends credence to the sources).

Also the TX full-size crossover is being rushed to market. Sounds like the reveal may come next year at this time and should hit dealers in early 2017. It is being described as "a second flagship" model.

Outside of a lack of torque in the V8, the LS looks like a winner, and 2016 looks like it will be a very big year for the top of the Lexus lineup.

BD
If I were Lexus, I'd look at detuning the V8 a little, and adding a small turbo to fill in the torque deficit. The V8 currently is a little too high-strung for luxury car duty. The engine needs some more beans down low, and a small turbo would solve the problem.
BD

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Stunning! Well done Lexus hope they do not change much into production. Rear maybe should be toned down a little.
A suggestion why do they not weight the L motif in the wheels so that is always upright a la Rolls Royce, it is this kind of detail that Lexus are so good at.
A bold and wonderful design that will shake the competition into the future!

Reactions: RAL

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

BD

i am having hard time understanding in what world the base engine with 465hp is lacking anything. Although I dont think it will have 465hp, but rather be tuned to have more torque below but a lower redline. In LS, you dont want to rev to 6500 rpm when passing someone. LS is not going to be significantly slower than GS-F with same engine.

What Lexus needs to do is offer multiple different engines for different markets, including what is today 3.5l V6, 450h, 500 and 600h. Heck, offer it with new 2.0t for markets with taxes over 2.0l engines. Rest of the world is not so limited in luxury thinking that it requires its base vehicles to go 0-60 in mid-high 4's. For instance, in China and Japan, LS is usually bought to be chauffeured in, so it needs lower cost of ownership and not million hp for base engine.

Another thing is that Japanese rumors say that hybrid will be based on V6 and have well over 400hp (430-440hp).. if those rumors are true, that would be V6 Turbo hybrid. LS will likely herald new era with Lexus, and introduce a lot of new features, technologies, engines and brand new platform that will be basis for Lexus RWD offerings.

Reactions
this looks a little too simple, and soft. I liked the hard edge design of the RX, especially the side profile, it had a lot going at the doors, floating roof. This one on the other hand is too plain, rounder, feminine. This can easily be confused with infiniti. Also the proportion seems off, the front end is too low, and long, making the rear look bulky. still a good effort, 100 times better than the current LS.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I think Lexus is doing the right thing with styling on this sedan. IMHO SUV/RX styling is not appropriate for this class of vehicle.

The relatively simple and clean lines of this car with excellent proportions/stance is expected for a top tier super premium sedan.