F SPORT Models Make Big Impact on Lexus Sales in USA

Reactions
AR-310269986.jpg&MaxW=700&cci_ts=20151023194202

F Sport packages vary from model to model but largely involve cosmetic features and some hardware upgrades. They proved so popular that Lexus added F Sport availability to the redesigned 2016 RX 450h hybrid crossover.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20151025/OEM03/310269986/f-sport-trim-works-wonders-for-lexus-image
If Lexus finally reclaims the U.S. luxury sales crown this year after a four-year drought, its acceptance speech ought to include a special thanks to its F Sport models.

F Sport trim packages are available on nearly every model Lexus sells, and they're putting an exclamation point on the automaker's dramatic turnaround -- not just in image but in performance, too.

Customers are eating it up.

Through September, 71 percent of all RC coupe buyers this year opted for the F Sport package. About half of GS buyers and IS buyers checked the F Sport box.

And it's not limited to performance-oriented cars either. Lexus sells 30 percent of its NX compact crossovers with the F Sport kit and 34 percent of its CT 200h hybrid hatchbacks with it.

Based on that success, Lexus threw caution to the wind on its redesigned 2016 RX midsize crossover and added F Sport availability on its hybrid model for the first time.

V2-310269986.jpg&MaxW=700&cci_ts=20151023194202

All told, 77,495 Lexus models have rolled out of dealerships this year wearing the tiny F Sport badges.

The popularity of F Sport vindicates Lexus' decision several years ago to give its products more styling and performance chops. The effort began in 2011 when Lexus debuted the 2013 GS midsize sports sedan. It was the first model to wear the "spindle grille," which -- love it or hate it -- soon spread to the entire lineup.

Each subsequent model progressively dialed up the aggressive styling but also mixed in worthwhile performance credibility.

The wholesale reinvention of once-bland Lexus was done to match or beat the German luxury brands at their own game -- brands that are presumed to be performance-oriented simply because of where they come from.

H3-310269986.jpg&q=80&MaxW=135&cci_ts=20151023194202

Bolain: Easier to market

"Lexus' focus on performance makes a lot of sense given the inherent performance angle of the Germans," Tom Libby, analyst at IHS Automotive, told Automotive News. Lexus "needs to do that because brands like Audi and BMW already have a less-subdued image."

The shift is currently paying dividends in the hotly contested luxury sales race in the U.S. Lexus has made no secret of wanting to be back in the top spot, which it vacated in 2011 after 11 years of domination.

Lexus' 247,445 sales through September put it just 2,511 vehicles behind BMW and 2,445 vehicles behind Mercedes-Benz (not including its Sprinter vans).

Lexus also has been able to use its F dedicated performance subbrand for a trickle-down effect. Though the upgrades to the current RC F and forthcoming GS F were done almost entirely without input from the teams on the F Sport models, marketing them side-by-side elevates the latter's street cred.

Unlike the F variants, F Sport packages do nothing to increase the vehicles' power.

F Sport packages vary from model to model but largely involve cosmetic features (flashier wheels, more aggressive bumpers), plus some hardware upgrades (a sport-tuned suspension, a more aggressive Sport+ drive mode and an adaptive suspension on some models).

Pricing for the packaging also varies, from $1,730 on the CT 200h to $8,350 extra on the LS.

The packages not only bring more profits for Toyota's luxury division but also manage to attract a generation of younger customers, a feat any automaker would envy.

Take the full-size LS sedan. It's not exactly a millennial's dream ride, with the median buyer age sitting at around 65 years old. But the F Sport version accounts for a quarter of LS sales so far this year, and those buyers are on average 12 years younger, according to Lexus.

Actually having dynamic models in the lineup also has made it easier to market Lexus.

"The marketing only works now because we have the product to back it up," Brian Bolain, Lexus' marketing manager, told Automotive News at the press launch for the 2016 RX in September. "For years we tried to do interesting marketing, but it's a bit disingenuous until you have a product that makes good on it."

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
As an owner of two F Ssports (a CT and GS) I am hopelessly biased, but I can see why they are so successful. With better looks (especially on the new RX and the NX), better seats and better handling for a relatively small premuim what's not to like?

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Lexus F-Sport, I think it's a similar (good) trend to what's going on with Mercedes. For example at Mercedes most of the C and E class sedans are "sport" models with AMG body kits, versus "lux" style with traditional grill and standup hood ornament.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Doesn't surprise me most of the IS and RC I see are F sport. I think the RX and NX will add to that number. Well worth the price increase makes the car look much more elegant and aggressive all at the same time

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
I thought the GX would have received the FSport treatment, since the spindle touch up we have seen an increase in sales. I remember our first FSport car, obsidian IS 250, followed by the Nebula GS FSport, then the lovely USB IS F and finally the molten pearl RC (not F). F/FSport is definitely the way to go.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The F-Sport program is one of the best moves in their history. I can't wait to see how it continues to evolve.

Reactions: CIF

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
For some cars, I would only get F-Sport version - for instance, RC looks really bad to me with regular front, and amazing with F-Sport... IS is bearable standard and great F-Sport... NX looks great regardless as well as new RX... I think they found medium where both versions look good now with latest vehicles.

Reactions
The Weird thing is that in Australia, the F Sport package is the 2nd highest tier, with Sports Luxury at the top and Luxury at the Bottom.

mwyf

Founding Member
Reactions
The Weird thing is that in Australia, the F Sport package is the 2nd highest tier, with Sports Luxury at the top and Luxury at the Bottom.
I agree with you. It's quite strange a strategy. I think Lexus should do a F-Sport+ model to sit on top of Sports Luxury. Got the goodies of the Sports Luxury, with the performance tune and packaging of the F-Sport.

Lexus should also bring the F-Sport Parts and Accessories Downunder. Let people personalise their cars.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Night and Day. I traded a 2014 Matador Red Mica IS250 for a 2015 Matador Red Mica IS250 F Sport (color adds more speed!) and the way these two cars drive is so different.
I had a 2012 UBM IS250 F Sport and it was no comparison to the speed, the agility, the ability to just dump everyone behind you at a light. The wheels and tires coupled with suspension makes the IS F Sport.
I wavered from my signature Matador Red Mica / Beige interior combo with a gray on my 2015 with carbon fiber trim and it's so much better than what the all black with suede seating was on the 2012.
Somehow, the IS line seems "incomplete" without the F Sport package.
Now about returning to those dirty, dirty brake pads again....WHY?

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
Night and Day. I traded a 2014 Matador Red Mica IS250 for a 2015 Matador Red Mica IS250 F Sport (color adds more speed!) and the way these two cars drive is so different.
I had a 2012 UBM IS250 F Sport and it was no comparison to the speed, the agility, the ability to just dump everyone behind you at a light. The wheels and tires coupled with suspension makes the IS F Sport.
I wavered from my signature Matador Red Mica / Beige interior combo with a gray on my 2015 with carbon fiber trim and it's so much better than what the all black with suede seating was on the 2012.
Somehow, the IS line seems "incomplete" without the F Sport package.
Now about returning to those dirty, dirty brake pads again....WHY?
Next will be a 2016 IS200t, Nebula with red interior?

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Are you asking me? I will never buy a Campbell's Soup Red IS nor tolerate a 4- cylinder engine. Killing Matador Red Mica in the IS line-up most likely ended my IS purchases. I've got a pair of '15's right now (IS and ES) and love them both. But I've also got a pushrod V8 muscle car and I'm all about that RWD normally aspirated engine.
Hate 4-cylinders. If you can't afford the gas, don't buy the car.