Lexus to Reveal "Progressive Luxury" Concept Car at Tokyo Motor Show

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-10-09-lexus-logo-tokyo-400x200.jpg

Lexus will debut a new concept car at the Tokyo Motor Show on October 28th.
View the original article post

D

DDas

I think it's the new LS. They're probably not releasing a teaser (at least not yet) do to the whole "revolutionary design" for the LS. They announced a while back that the next LS would be, something along the lines of, a well-worth waited design. But what gets me the most, is the title "progressive luxury." What does that necessarily imply?

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Next gen LS.... has to be!

@DDas, my take on "progressive luxury" is it will be "modern, non-traditional luxury". Imagine a Tesla Model S on the extreme end left-end of the "progressive luxury" scale with no wood trim, modern, clutter-free interior, while a Rolls Royce is on the other "traditional luxury" right-end of the spectrum with all the wood and lazy-boy creature comforts and buttons galore. Next LS to fit closer to the Tesla-end like where Jaguar fits in these days perhaps... we'll see.

D

DDas

@DDas, my take on "progressive luxury" is it will be "modern, non-traditional luxury". Imagine a Tesla Model S on the extreme end left-end of the "progressive luxury" scale with no wood trim, modern, clutter-free interior, while a Rolls Royce is on the other "traditional luxury" right-end of the spectrum with all the wood and lazy-boy creature comforts and buttons galore. Next LS to fit closer to the Tesla-end like where Jaguar fits in these days perhaps... we'll see.
Im good with it being close to the Tesla side! The next LS needs a modern, yet futuristic interior design and something drastic for the exterior. If Lexus get this right, it could possibly dominate its class. As long as it doesnt have any interior resemblances of a Jaguar. Those interiors are straight hideous.

Reactions
I too think it is the next LS. It will have the most luxurious interior of any vehicle at any price. It will blow the competition out of the water. Am I dreaming? I hope not. We waited long enough for the new LS and I am sure Lexus will deliver.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I agree with everyone it has to be the next LS. With the new S class being out for what a year and now the new 7 series is out the LS needs a bang. Both the S and the 7 look great and have risen the bar for luxury sedans but fingers crossed that Lexus blows by it! Hopeful for a faster LS as well as I saw the 7 can go to 60 in 4.3 and I'm sure the S class in under 4 w the AMG version.

Reactions
I agree with everyone it has to be the next LS. With the new S class being out for what a year and now the new 7 series is out the LS needs a bang. Both the S and the 7 look great and have risen the bar for luxury sedans but fingers crossed that Lexus blows by it! Hopeful for a faster LS as well as I saw the 7 can go to 60 in 4.3 and I'm sure the S class in under 4 w the AMG version.
The new S-Class has been out 2 years now. By the time this new LS launches next year it will be 3 years of total domination by the S-Class. Hope Lexus was taking its sweet time to make it unbelievable!!

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
Definitely the next gen LS. I'm confident it will be worth the wait, and with the LC coupe driving around with camo I know Lexus means business.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I agree with the broad consensus that we'll see a concept predictor for the next LS, but will go a step further and suggest that said concept will feature a fuel cell powertrain. Bear in mind that there have been prior rumors of a production fuel cell version of the next-gen LS due around the end of the decade.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Bear in mind that there have been prior rumors of a production fuel cell version of the next-gen LS due around the end of the decade.

Production of hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles, though, does little good, even if people are willing to buy or lease them, if we lack an adequate refueling infrastructure for them....which is generally the case outside of some parts of California.

Spunky D

Founding Member
Reactions
My sales manager at Lexus,Melbourne Australia has indicated that the new LS will not be available on sale in Australia till 2018.
Methinks the new LS will not be shown in Tokyo and will be the concept mentioned afore

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
"Progressive Luxury" sounds like marketing jargon for a small car, or something outside of Lexus' standard realm.

If it is indeed an LS concept, I'd have preferred something like, "Next Generation Flagship Luxury Vehicle."

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

That would be very unlike Lexus and why in the world would they need to copy Tesla interior for LS? Thats the worst part of any Tesla (well exterior design too).

LS competes with S class, so it will get yacht-like interior I hope, and we can leave cheap interiors for ES.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Agreed, a Tesla S interior is no match for Benz S-class (or E-class or C-class) interior in terms of luxury, style and premium materials/finish. Tesla interior is best not copied by Lexus (or Mercedes or BMW).

I do like Tesla exterior.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
If this is happening in Japan, it sounds like Lexus will be another dud at SEMA again. Last year was a huge disappointment. Sigh...

Reactions
"Progressive Luxury" sounds like marketing jargon for a small car, or something outside of Lexus' standard realm.

If it is indeed an LS concept, I'd have preferred something like, "Next Generation Flagship Luxury Vehicle."
I agree. I would love to see a glimpse of a new LS but the words "progressive luxury" suggest to me that it's something more entry level. There's not been much talk of a new CT but that would be my guess...maybe a CT200T.

Reactions

I agree. I would love to see a glimpse of a new LS but the words "progressive luxury" suggest to me that it's something more entry level. There's not been much talk of a new CT but that would be my guess...maybe a CT200T.