Lexus LS Receives Minor Update for 2016 Model Year

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-09-29-lexus-ls-2016-400x200.jpg

The fourth-generation Lexus LS sedan may be entering its ninth year of sales, but that hasn’t stopped Lexus engineers from making some improvements.
View the original article post

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
A 10 year cycle before a completely new model. Make that 12 by the time the new LS is sold mass market. I don't know how they are going to kill anything with that kind business model.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Nice to see continued updates, curious if the chassis is really any more solid b/c of the new super glue. That was a feature first used in the new IS which helps with chassis rigidity. Curious to see Atomic Silver too...

Also an opportunity to post mine :D Though it might be around much longer.
Lexus_LS_VFS1_976.jpg

Ray99

Founding Member
Reactions
A bit dissapointing to have another minor updates. Maybe Lexus want to make sure the next LS to have more world first features.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Chassis rigidity in premium brands is a big deal for many reasons, good that Lexus is giving it extra attention. Mercedes seems to be the master of this attribute most consistently over the years for top tier brands.

Mike - What's your opinion of chassis rigidity currently with LS (versus the leader in this category, S-class)?

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
Nice to see continued updates, curious if the chassis is really any more solid b/c of the new super glue. That was a feature first used in the new IS which helps with chassis rigidity. Curious to see Atomic Silver too...

Also an opportunity to post mine :D Though it might be around much longer.
Lexus_LS_VFS1_976.jpg
That's one sexy car buddy!

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Krew, it is strange to me. Atomic Silver is already available on 15' LS, isn't it? I saw one LS in F-Sport trim last Saturday.

Reactions
Does anyone know if the update can used on a 2013 to have Nav utilize the entire screen. Always taught from the beginning that the Nav should of covered the entire screen. The same can be said about the GS.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Does anyone know if the update can used on a 2013 to have Nav utilize the entire screen. Always taught from the beginning that the Nav should of covered the entire screen. The same can be said about the GS.

Good question, I'll try to find out. If not OEM maybe something from Beatsonic!

Onelog

Follower
Reactions
Good question, I'll try to find out. If not OEM maybe something from Beatsonic!
Hopefully the Beatsonic guys can make it happen, because I know that at least to date, no nav system has ever been able to be upgraded to the next generation through official Lexus means. Any and all updates to the system are only in adding roads and POIs to the maps themselves. It's too bad really, but that's how they decided to do it.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Not available on the '15
Thanks for the comment. I realized that atomic silver is not available in 15' LS for USA region. So the announcement makes sense as it refers to what happens in US market.

However, Canadian market already has atomic silver available for 15' LS. I must say that the color looks stunning in real person. I was at the back of a 15' LS in atomic silver in an underground parking and the the color looks sharp and blends well with the taillights.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Thanks for the comment. I realized that atomic silver is not available in 15' LS for USA region. So the announcement makes sense as it refers to what happens in US market.

However, Canadian market already has atomic silver available for 15' LS. I must say that the color looks stunning in real person. I was at the back of a 15' LS in atomic silver in an underground parking and the the color looks sharp and blends well with the taillights.

Yes I've also seen a 2015 Atomic Silver LS here in Canada, but this is indeed news for the US market.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
There should've been some minor cosmetic changes for the 2016 LS, considering that the 5LS may be introduced for 2018 model year. It is reportedly planned for JDM in May 2017, which is over 4.5 years after the facelift went on sale. That is a long run for a facelift. A 4-5 year run, will still need some additional changes in between to be sustainable.

The next LS has to be the S class killer, not competitor.
Absolutely. I pretty much like and respect all of the contenders in this segment, but to see something different for once. We all always expect the S-Class to bring its A-game, but it does get "boring" after a while. We have been waiting for a new embodiment of Lexus' best all-around (not just performance a la LFA), since 2009 (first LS facelift), if not longer than that.

I halfway do not trust Lexus to fully deliver on that front, in terms of obliterating competition from MB and BMW. I come from a BMW family (maternal side), but I am not fully impressed with the new G11. I am on a development team for a 7er (G11)/5LS (200B) competitor, but do try to take an active and objective interest in various offerings in this class.

I think that they will indroduce a concept of the new LS generation in Tokyo Motorshow this year if I am not mistaken.

You got it! ;)

Fingers are crossed for the next LS as MY '17.

Likely not happening, as a concept will be shown in Tokyo. It will likely be a 2018 model year in North America or mid-year 2017 model. May 2017 is the date that keeps being pointed to for 200B (LS programme), for 5LS production and November 2016 for 1LC production. Japanese media pointed to August 2014 for the 1NX, which it did indeed arrive by then.

The LC will go on sale before the LS does, so that theory does compute. Something tells me that 5LS development could've been affected by the recession in 2008, LFA programme, and also halted until work on the XF40 Mk.3 was advanced enough.

Last edited: