No Plans for Lexus Compact Crossover Smaller than NX?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-09-28-lexus-nx-sub-crossover-400x200.jpg

According to a Motor Report interview with Lexus Australia chief executive Sean Hanley, a crossover smaller than the NX is not a priority for the brand.
View the original article post

D

DDas

This is good to hear actually. Lexus needs a three-row crossover. By adding the three-row crossover, Lexus will have an option for every type of customer looking for Luxury Utility. I personally do not think there's a huge market for Honda HR-V sized vehicles; therefore, Lexus does not need one. Lexus also needs to work on expanding their performance line. I would love to see an Audi TT competitor, a production LFLC (I know its coming but needs to hurry up), maybe a "four-door coupe" (Audi A7, BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe, and MB CLS competitor), and some more Fs. Lexus made a huge mistake canceling the ISF. Bring that back before creating a small crossover. Also, a little bit of a side note: the LF-SA is probably the biggest waste of Lexus money and time. This is not needed. Lexus does not need to join that class.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
This is good to hear actually. Lexus needs a three-row crossover. By adding the three-row crossover, Lexus will have an option for every type of customer looking for Luxury Utility. I personally do not think there's a huge market for Honda HR-V sized vehicles; therefore, Lexus does not need one. Lexus also needs to work on expanding their performance line. I would love to see an Audi TT competitor, a production LFLC (I know its coming but needs to hurry up), maybe a "four-door coupe" (Audi A7, BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe, and MB CLS competitor), and some more Fs. Lexus made a huge mistake canceling the ISF. Bring that back before creating a small crossover. Also, a little bit of a side note: the LF-SA is probably the biggest waste of Lexus money and time. This is not needed. Lexus does not need to join that class.
I agree with everything except the audi tt competitor statement. The audi tt is basically dead the last time I checked. There will be no new IS F, The GS F is already a m3 and c63(not the S model) so the IS F would be redundant. If they decide to drop a LS F that will rival the e63 and m5 then.

D

DDas

I agree with everything except the audi tt competitor statement. The audi tt is basically dead the last time I checked. There will be no new IS F, The GS F is already a m3 and c63(not the S model) so the IS F would be redundant. If they decide to drop a LS F that will rival the e63 and m5 then.
You have your sizes wrong. The GS has always been a competitor to the 5 series; therefore, the GSF competes with the M5. ISF competed with the M3 and there is still hope it will revive it later on. An LSF would compete with the SClass AMG because the LS competes with the SClass not the EClass or 5 series.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
With the QX30 on its way combined with the existing German subcompact CUV offerings, Lexus may be missing out on a market and be "late" to the party like the NX was. Personally though, something smaller than the NX would not interest me at this time.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
You have your sizes wrong. The GS has always been a competitor to the 5 series; therefore, the GSF competes with the M5. ISF competed with the M3 and there is still hope it will revive it later on. An LSF would compete with the SClass AMG because the LS competes with the SClass not the EClass or 5 series.
I know what competes with what but I said that based on specs buddy

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Right now, given the realties of today's U.S. market, I'd probably have to agree that it is a wise decision on Lexus' part not to introduce a subcompact crossover. Nissan's Juke, Honda's new HR-V, and Subaru's Crosstrek (which is only slightly larger in size) already have that market pretty well covered in the U.S., with plans by Hyundai and Toyota to introduce future competitors based on the Accent and Yaris platforms. There might be a few exceptions here and there, but most buyers (and potential buyers) of crossovers that size don't expect to be shopping among premium-nameplates........one reason why we haven't seen them here from other upmarket manufacturers. Besides, the recently-introduced compact Lexus NX and Lincoln MKX are both doing so well (with a yet-unnamed all-new, compact-size competitor from Cadillac due within 12-18 months), that it would make little sense to waste time, money and resources on even smaller subcompacts that would take attention away from them.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yeah the GS F is going to be in a weird spot being the size and supposedly positioned against the M5. E63 etc but obviously with power on par with a M3, C63 etc...it actually is down on power to the C63 S.....

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yeah the GS F is going to be in a weird spot being the size and supposedly positioned against the M5. E63 etc but obviously with power on par with a M3, C63 etc...it actually is down on power to the C63 S.....

Might also include the Cadillac CTS-V in that comparison.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
With the QX30 on its way combined with the existing German subcompact CUV offerings, Lexus may be missing out on a market and be "late" to the party like the NX was. Personally though, something smaller than the NX would not interest me at this time.
No one will take their money and buy the Infiniti qx30 just like the jx.

Might also include the Cadillac CTS-V in that comparison.
I didn't even mention that because it's two decades ahead of the GS F.

At this point we just to play that waiting game to see how the GS F will perform. Based on the GS F specs my conclusion is that there will be NO new IS F.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
I was talking to an employe at the local dealership recently about a sub-NX cross over,and he felt rather certain it would happen as the market is very hot for compact luxury cars.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I was talking to an employe at the local dealership recently about a sub-NX cross over,and he felt rather certain it would happen as the market is very hot for compact luxury cars.

Are you refering to a Norway dealership where you live? In the U.S. it may be a different case.

True, both compact (NX, MKC, etc...) and subcompact-sized SUVs/crossovers are hot in today's American market, but those who shop for and buy vehicles in the subcompact range (Nissan Juke, Honda HR-V, Jeep Renegade, etc....) usually aren't looking for something with a luxury/premium nameplate on it. For subcompact crossovers, people usually want to keep the price down (who's going to pay $30-35K, for example, for an Acura version of the Honda HR-V?). Infiniti, though, may (?) be trying a luxury version of the Nissan Juke in other non-U.S. markets...it will be interesting to se how that one does, if applicable.

mikeavelli

Reactions

There is no denying how hot the segment is but what car would it be based off? Mind you the BMW x1 already is in its second generation and has grown. I assume the Q3 and GLA are selling well in Europe, they don't sell in huge numbers here.

I think part of the issue is those brands are clearly more established with more top heavy cars (cars over 100k) whereas Lexus doesn't have but one car over 100k. So the Germans can risk going downmarket more.

To me Lexus is probably also scratching their heads at this point over what luxury is? Cause a lot of these cars with luxury badges don't really feel like traditional luxury cars at all. The GLA feels more Corolla than Mercedes for example but people desire it.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
My assumption that Lexus will be typically slow to react in this segment, and has higher priorities elsewhere right now.

More important: 3 row crossover, LS, LC, CT, GX

I think we'll see Lexus wait to see how Toyota's C-HR does before they make a decision on going sub-NX. I do expect it to happen, though.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
There is no denying how hot the segment is but what car would it be based off? Mind you the BMW x1 already is in its second generation and has grown. I assume the Q3 and GLA are selling well in Europe, they don't sell in huge numbers here.

Don't you think, though, that, at least for luxury/premium-nameplate crossovers, the compact-sized entries like NX/MKC/Q3 make more sense than subcompact ones? Yes, subcompact crossovers DO in fact sell with lower-level nameplates like Honda, Jeep, and Nissan, but, as I see it, who's going to pay a substantial premium for a premium nameplate in that very small price/size class? I may be wrong (and I've sometimes been wrong before).........but I just don't see it.

Reactions: CIF

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
Are you refering to a Norway dealership where you live? In the U.S. it may be a different case.

True, both compact (NX, MKC, etc...) and subcompact-sized SUVs/crossovers are hot in today's American market, but those who shop for and buy vehicles in the subcompact range (Nissan Juke, Honda HR-V, Jeep Renegade, etc....) usually aren't looking for something with a luxury/premium nameplate on it. For subcompact crossovers, people usually want to keep the price down (who's going to pay $30-35K, for example, for an Acura version of the Honda HR-V?). Infiniti, though, may (?) be trying a luxury version of the Nissan Juke in other non-U.S. markets...it will be interesting to se how that one does, if applicable.
I should've specified my loacation:I live in Norway and here (and I believe in Europe in general) there is a move towards smaller luxury cars. In North-America a larger than RX cross-over seems to be in much more demand.

Reactions: Joe

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
I should've specified my loacation:I live in Norway and here (and I believe in Europe in general) there is a move towards smaller luxury cars. In North-America a larger than RX cross-over seems to be in much more demand.
Exactly. X1, Q3 and GLA are selling big time here in Europe. If Lexus wants a bit more volume (without therefore becoming too big) it should definitely add a smaller SUV in the line-up. But it should absolutely remain more premium than its competitors (especially in interior finish). Won' be easy to combine with the right price tag.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Exactly. X1, Q3 and GLA are selling big time here in Europe. If Lexus wants a bit more volume (without therefore becoming too big) it should definitely add a smaller SUV in the line-up. But it should absolutely remain more premium than its competitors (especially in interior finish). Won' be easy to combine with the right price tag.

I agree that in Europe a smaller-than-NX Lexus SUV might make some sense....but not here in the U.S. In the U.S., most buyers don't expect premium-nameplate brands to produce subcompact-sized vehicles.....that's why Mercedes has not brought over their A and B-class, for example. Buick did succeed with the subcompact Encore SUV, which is selling well, but Cadillac probably could not have done so under its own more upscale nameplate.

Reactions: Joe