Will Lexus Make a Convertible Version of the LF-LC Production Model?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-09-01-lexus-lf-lc-convertible-400x200.jpg

In a recent interview with CarAdvice, Lexus Australia chief executive Sean Hanley makes the case for a convertible version of the Lexus LF-LC coupe:.
View the original article post

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
"No plans to launch the LC anytime soon", somewhat disappointed but at least it's coming. The LF C2 concept would definitely be a great addition to the lineup, the IS C did nothing for me.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
LC is coming, it was spied. But Lexus needs a LC F with twin-turbo V8 (+hybrid eventually).

Reactions
"No plans to launch the LC anytime soon", somewhat disappointed but at least it's coming. The LF C2 concept would definitely be a great addition to the lineup, the IS C did nothing for me.
i loved the ISC when it first came out, but now if someone buys it i feel sorry for them its so outdated and the only car in the lexus lineup to not be updated... maybe this means something great is around the corner? so they are keeping the ISC until that new convertible comes possibly very soon?

Reactions
It should be a soft top convertible.
luxury automakers don't really use soft tops unless its an entry level convertible... and even then that still doesn't seem to happen don't expect to see a soft top on a lexus especially.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
i loved the ISC when it first came out, but now if someone buys it i feel sorry for them its so outdated and the only car in the lexus lineup to not be updated... maybe this means something great is around the corner? so they are keeping the ISC until that new convertible comes possibly very soon?
I liked the IS C also, but after seeing the RC it no longer had my attention. The RC's chassis is already strengthened to accommodate the mechanism for a convertible, so it's just a matter of time before we see the RC T (Topless).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It should be a soft top convertible.
luxury automakers don't really use soft tops unless its an entry level convertible... and even then that still doesn't seem to happen don't expect to see a soft top on a lexus especially.
I don't know why you come to such conclusion. Hardtops are usually cars with small roofs, and usually entry level cars. Here a list:

Hard top (including stopped production):
Peugeot 207 CC (no more successor)
Peugeot 308 CC (no more successor)
Nissan Micra C+C (no more successor)
Renault Wind (no more successor)
VW Eos (no more successor)
Mazda MX-5
Ferrari California
Mercedes SL (successor with soft top)
Mercedes SLK (successor likely with soft top)
BMW Z4 (successor likely with soft top)
BMW 4er Convertible (successor with soft top)
Lexus IS C
Volvo C70 (no successor)
Opel Astra Convertible (no more hard top)
Ferrari 488 GTS
McLaren 650

Soft-top
BMW 2 Series
BMW 6 Series
Audi TT Roadster
Audi A5
Mercedes C Convertible
Mercedes E Convertible
Mercedes S Convertible
Porsche 911 Convertible
Bentley Continental GTC
Rolls Royce Drophead and Gost Convertible

Hard-top or soft-top does not indicate premium or not. On a longer roof, soft top looks better, on a short roof, hard-top is more practical but also heavier.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
IMO the Maserati GranCabrio has much better proportions and styling than the S Cabrio.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The new S-class convertible is a soft top. Looks amazing.

Might compete, to an extent, with Mercedes' own SL folding hard-top convertible. But the S-class convertible seems to offer more size, more room inside, a taller stance for easier entry/exit for tall people, and, of course, at least something of a rear seat for small persons or for carrying things.

The main question is whether it would have the same structural rigidity as the SL. The SL was designed from the start to be a droptop.....it has one of the world's most rigid convertible frames.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Lexus is too far behind the competition. This looks amazing! Come on Lexus, what's going on in the camp?

Another one, of course, probably wouldn't hurt. But, right now, looking at general sales figures. Lexus already seems to be doing quite well without adding another convertible besides the RC.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
the first question we need to ask what will be the production LF-LC
is it going to be R8 or the long waited A9 coupe , in other words is it S class coupe / cabrio or AMG GT
for me if Lexus want really to enter with the top guys Maserati GT, Bentley continental GT, MB S coupe / cabrio, etc they must be classic some how and the LF-LC concept will need to tone down a lot and get more length to have bigger wheelbase,, sharing the LS not only with Engines & wheelbase but also with approximately the interior and most of the exterior lines , needs to be seen as related but in the same time not the same exactly , so the next LS need to be more sporty and the LC need to be more toned down to meet at a certain point

mikeavelli

Reactions
I am unsure of positioning as well. The RC is pretty clear. The LC not sure what it's aimed for aside its above the RC.

A SC would be great too :D

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
I am unsure of positioning as well. The RC is pretty clear. The LC not sure what it's aimed for aside its above the RC.

A SC would be great too :D
We're getting the LC- Luxurious Coupe
We already have the RC- Radical Coupe
It wouldn't hurt to have a SC- Sexy Coupe?