2023 Honda HR-V

mikeavelli

Reactions
Competition is high, but this might be the single most uninspiring new vehicle release I've seen lately. Every single thing about it is completely nondescript.

This could have debuted 20 years ago it’s that bad. They had an ad during the Finals game last night and it’s just horrible. Thing is it will sell like crazy and clog the fast lane. sigh…

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I do hear that if you switch out the factory air in the tires for those green-nitrogen filled tires, pinstripes, resistall, and underbody oiling complete protection package the 0-60 improves.
/s

The folks that buy these things will go crazy by just having a vehicle that works without requiring maintenance. 0-60 is irrelevant.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I do hear that if you switch out the factory air in the tires for those green-nitrogen filled tires, pinstripes, resistall, and underbody oiling complete protection package the 0-60 improves.
/s

The folks that buy these things will go crazy by just having a vehicle that works without requiring maintenance. 0-60 is irrelevant.
Why not just stick a VTEC badge on it. Seems much easier than all of this. ;)

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I think Honda USA must consider introducing 1.5T engine for HR-V just like ChDM version.....
According to Autoblog's review, the blame must go to the most-likely buyers of HR-V, which, allegedly, is different from the buyers of the Civic.

And no, the 2023 HR-V doesn’t offer the Civic’s available 1.5-liter turbocharged inline-four that produces 180 hp and 177 lb-ft. That still wouldn’t be up to the base Mazda CX-30 or Ford Bronco Sport engines, but it’d be in the ballpark, along with the Subaru Crosstrek and Kia Seltos optional upgrades. The question must be asked, then: why is that turbo engine not at least available on the HR-V?

According to senior product planner Quincy Tam, it comes down to demographics and existing customer expectations. First, the turbocharged Civic trim levels are more likely to be purchased by male buyers, whereas about 70% of buyers in the HR-V’s segment are female. Perhaps that element is related to the next bit, perhaps not. Either way, research groups indicated that existing and potential buyers were looking for “sufficient power without waste.” Cost is a concern, and they don’t want to pay for something they aren’t going to use. Tam and his team asked if research group participants wanted more power, and were surprised to find that they did not. Apparently, HR-V buyers are different from Crosstrek buyers, since Subaru researchers found the exact opposite.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Why not just stick a VTEC badge on it. Seems much easier than all of this. ;)
Well you do know that putting unauthorized, non dealer installed accessories may invalidate the factory warranty from Hondue?

/s

larryren

Follower
Reactions

mikeavelli

Reactions
I saw a couple of Fits yesterday and it’s just sad how that was a popular entry level car and people are forced into a larger cuv. I think only the Versa is left in that space but that isn’t a hatch and nearly as fun.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Saw the first one yesterday at grocery store. Agreed, bland enough to qualify as a rolling appliance but still looks better than last version. Likely gutless as ever.
I bet if someone rebadged this as corolla cross no one would notice.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
It's funny that the real new gen HR-V(the one developed Honda Japan) can be optioned with a more powerful engine, the 1.5L turbo, despite being smaller and lighter than the US HR-V.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
It's funny that the real new gen HR-V(the one developed Honda Japan) can be optioned with a more powerful engine, the 1.5L turbo, despite being smaller and lighter than the US HR-V.
You mean that "Vezel" in Japan? 2nd gen are using 1.5NA with 118PS or 1.5 iMMD hybrid. Didn't have 1.5T

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
You mean that "Vezel" in Japan? 2nd gen are using 1.5NA with 118PS or 1.5 iMMD hybrid. Didn't have 1.5T
Malaysian and Indonesian versions have the 1.5T lol.

I swear the average Japanese consumers don't have much demands on engine performance, it's like as long as it can move, even just barely, and use very little fuel it's good enough for them.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
Malaysian and Indonesian versions have the 1.5T lol.

I swear the average Japanese consumers don't have much demands on engine performance, it's like as long as it can move, even just barely, and use very little fuel it's good enough for them.
Ahh, I forgot the ASEAN version.... CHDM version only get NA 1.5L and starting 132k RMB to 152K RMB, that's quite expensive.
1.5T more need on new generation because still heavier than last gen.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Ahh, I forgot the ASEAN version.... CHDM version only get NA 1.5L and starting 132k RMB to 152K RMB, that's quite expensive.
1.5T more need on new generation because still heavier than last gen.
Damn, that sucks.