Sony VISION-S 02 prototype

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Sony will establish an operating company "Sony Mobility Inc." in the spring of 2022, through which the company intends to explore entry into the EV market.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Sales of the first EV model from the New Company are expected to start in 2025. The New Company is expected to plan, design, develop, and sell the EVs, but not own and operate manufacturing facilities, so Honda is expected to be responsible for manufacturing the first EV model at its vehicle manufacturing plant. It is expected that a mobility service platform will be developed by Sony and made available for the New Company.

Reactions

LMAO I did not expect Honda to take the jump. I was thinking either Toyota or Nissan.

Well done Honda.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Sony is honestly one from the remaining articulated peace of art in every product they make

I can see it succeed in the automotive with Honda

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Small detail:

Sony had like nothing to do with these concept vehicles 😆

I know who they hired to do them. After the strong response they’ve been scrambling to hire an end to end vehicle production partner. Looks like Honda won out!
SHONNDAY sounds good to me

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The deal is not just for EVs but also for chips. Last year TSMC announced a new Kumamoto plant in a JV with Sony. Toyota wanted a piece of that pie and lobbied the Japanese government to include Denso in a 3-way JV. It is a big threat to the rest of the Japanese car makers since TMC is now directly involved in the chipmaking business. Nidec (pro-Nissan) in the past had already been headhunting Renesas (pro-TMC) talents for its own semiconductor project. Honda does not want to be left out so this is a very smart move.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Sony had a lot of projects even came from fans like SONY project wena which turn out to be great

Sony was the first to start the e watches from 09
Sony was the first for a lot of tech honestly
It's like a corp with RnD center in mind

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Small detail:

Sony had like nothing to do with these concept vehicles 😆

I know who they hired to do them. After the strong response they’ve been scrambling to hire an end to end vehicle production partner. Looks like Honda won out!
SHONNDAY sounds good to me
Sony needed something to showcase its automotive products -- sensors and other electronics
It wanted a pretty shell to wrap around it products so it hired someone to design a pretty car body.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Off the shelf components for folks lagging behind who either need a stop gap or want access to select parts that have better economies of scale then they can in house (never gonna be cheaper long term but hey).

MagnaS was the original builder I believe for the prototypes.
(Im surprised they didnt win the contract /s )

I guess sweetheart deal for both parties involved.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Sony needed something to showcase its automotive products -- sensors and other electronics
It wanted a pretty shell to wrap around it products so it hired someone to design a pretty car body.

What automotive products? It offers audio oem componentry in like 5 cars I know of and is <10% of of the auto optical sensor industry. They do well in the smartphone market but auto component suppliers are super competitive already.

I think people don’t realize how many products, including well known Germany luxury models were wholecloth end to end commercialized by a contracted third party. That includes Italian supercars I won’t mention.

Sony won’t have anything of substance to do with this other than driving cash burn iterating on parallel designs for consideration. And supplying a very limited portion of the componentry.

If they’re desperate to supply their own components they’ll scramble to reinvent the wheel on what other tier 1 suppliers already offer, coagulating proprietary technologies into a tech platform

They’ve got their work cut out for them if they go that route. The people and capabilities they’ll need to assemble or contract in a challenged supply chain environment won’t come easily or cheaply.

Now you’d imagine that’s where this thing with Honda comes a bit into play, but aside from maybe some leverage with suppliers, i imagine Honda is pretty he’s in reliant on third party engineering to execute on what their internal teams are targeting. This may come down to cost sharing and having an aligned partner to help deal with third party production groups intelligently.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This alliance aims to bring together Honda's mobility development capabilities, vehicle body manufacturing technology and after-sales service management experience cultivated over many years, with Sony's expertise in the development and application of imaging, sensing, telecommunication, network, and entertainment technologies, to realize a new generation of mobility and services that are closely aligned with users and the environment, and continue to evolve going forward.

Sales of the first EV model from the New Company are expected to start in 2025. The New Company is expected to plan, design, develop, and sell the EVs, but not own and operate manufacturing facilities, so Honda is expected to be responsible for manufacturing the first EV model at its vehicle manufacturing plant. It is expected that a mobility service platform will be developed by Sony and made available for the New Company.

it is not that complicated.