Lexus RC Convertible to be Released in 2016?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-07-07-lexus-lf-c2-2016-convertible-rc-400x200.jpg

Motoring Australia has a new timeline for the Lexus RC convertible.
View the original article post

D

DDas

Not the biggest fan of calling it the "RC-C." I would've preferred to just call it the RC convertible or something simple like that. Other than that, this is great news and the IS-C needs to be replaced badly. I'm excited for it!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Hopefully the back doesn't look as hideous as that of the IS C.

The giant hood bulge from the roof was the biggest flaw with the IS-C -- liked it better with the top up than down.

Reactions: CIF

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Never a fan of convertibles but this rendering shows the RC was made for topless production.
Why not build it? Another competitor for the BMW 4 series won't hurt Lexus.
Anything has to be more attractive than an IS C.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Although I'd be more in the market for a smaller ~ 175" length roadster a la Z4, the RC C will look hot if it's 99% the concept!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Previous reports of its demise were obviously fake to me since they made complete platform heavier to make convertible possible... it is going to look a lot better tha IS-C as well.

The idea that Lexus would accept deadweight on the RC platform was pretty hard to believe, though I do believe North American dealerships were unhappy that a convertible had priority over a three-row crossover.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Bring it. I agree that the aging IS-C has to go. Does it even really sell anymore?!

I reviewed an IS-C few years ago, but it doesn't seem to sell in the D.C. area in significant numbers. What DOES sell is the IS250AWD...everybody and their brother (or, often, sister) ;), has one.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Convertibles are popular in California and a IS-C common enough to go almost unnoticed. But current IS-C was never near top of list for desirability. I'm looking forward to new IS convertible.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The idea that Lexus would accept deadweight on the RC platform was pretty hard to believe, though I do believe North American dealerships were unhappy that a convertible had priority over a three-row crossover.

Story was that they were unhappy with RC vs TX, but in the end they have nothing to do with each other except for the timing as different teams worked on them... it is not as if they are transferring engineers between those projects, each took 4-5 years to complete. Quite possibly TX had to wait for new platform, who knows... while RC was obvious.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Convertibles are popular in California and a IS-C common enough to go almost unnoticed. But current IS-C was never near top of list for desirability. I'm looking forward to new IS convertible.

For those who could afford it, the now-discontinued SC430 retractable hardtop had a far nicer interior than the IS-C (IMO one of the best interiors that Lexus has ever done), and, of course, a nice V8 up front. I wasn't a fan of its Audi-TT styling, though, and its rear "seat" was even smaller and tighter than that in the IS-C...essentially just a padded shelf for small packages. Of course, one usually does not by a small convertible to get a roomy rear seat.

That's one reason why the mid-size Chrysler LeBaron/Cirrus/Sebring convertibles were so popular for so many years, despite their questionable build-quality and fit/finish. It was one of the very few affordable convertibles that offered room in the back seat for more than little kiddies. The affordable Pontiac G6 retractible-hardtop also had reasonable room in the back, but it also had so-so build quality, cheap poorly-done interior trim, and wasn't in production very long before Pontiac itself folded.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
That's one reason why the mid-size Chrysler LeBaron/Cirrus/Sebring convertibles were so popular for so many years, despite their questionable build-quality and fit/finish. It was one of the very few affordable convertibles that offered room in the back seat for more than little kiddies.

Not that it really applies here on this thread, but Lebarron/Cirrus/Sebring seemed popular but a big percentage were rental cars. Mustang GT convertibles were the preferred choice of buyers needing back seat for little kiddies in affordable domestic 'vert. I owned a GT 'vert but used the back seat only a couple times.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
They really better commit to that, as there are a few people that I know with the IS-C and they are eyeing other brands. My older sister, soon to be replacing her RX400h with 4RX (450h), is very tired of her '11 IS350C and almost considered the RC. Unfortunately to her chagrin, it only comes as a hardtop. I showed her the LF-C2, but clarified it's just a concept and like what I've shown her at Whitley of Jaguar (in regards to development), it exists, but not due for launch yet. I am hoping Lexus makes an LC cabriolet by the summer of 2017, as unlike me, she'd can afford to shop in that category outright and is more in love with the LF-LC, than the RC.

I have suggested, that IF the "RC-C" launches by summer 2016, she trade in her IS350C for an RC350C :)confused:) and then move onto an LC500hC in 2017. Lexus really needs to speed up the launch of variants, as BMW introduced the 4-Series coupe and cabriolet within a very short gap of time.

Previous reports of its demise were obviously fake to me since they made complete platform heavier to make convertible possible... it is going to look a lot better tha IS-C as well.
Story was that they were unhappy with RC vs TX, but in the end they have nothing to do with each other except for the timing as different teams worked on them... it is not as if they are transferring engineers between those projects, each took 4-5 years to complete. Quite possibly TX had to wait for new platform, who knows... while RC was obvious.

Thank you, I remember how you jumped to that wise conclusion and debunked that frivolous Motor Trend report. It is the belief I've held, (despite gullible doomsday chatter) especially after how you reported that Toyota doesn't respond to rumours. The RC was a 4-year development (styling freeze in mid-2012) through 2014, that started development right after the IS-C was launched. The TX (like the LC coupe) was held back by the new modular RWD platform, especially in how Toyota is phasing out N platform and "New N". The fact that the RC and TX platforms are entirely different, makes for much lesser influence/effect between the two. The new RX will be the last Toyota redesign on the K platform, probably seeing a shorter lifecycle of 4.5 to 5 years, with 5RX debuting in 2020.

Never a fan of convertibles but this rendering shows the RC was made for topless production.
Why not build it? Another competitor for the BMW 4 series won't hurt Lexus.
Anything has to be more attractive than an IS C.

That is not a rendering, but an actual photo of the LF-C2. Somehow, I think the LF-C2 is a topless version of the original concept design for the RC (XC10), which was proposed back in late 2011 as a digital CAD file and then clay model in early 2012. Does anybody notice this?

Some aspects and dimensions of the RC design had to change between XC10 Concept Proposal in late 2011/early 2012 and XC10 Final Production Proposal in mid-2012. It's almost like the LF-C2 in hardtop form, IS the original RC design before being watered down and represents the designer's original vision for it.

That story seemed so iffy to me, that I am also glad how spwolf called it a bluff last November. Lexus resources are not that limited, where it has to be one-or-the-other. I think that the rejected GT-86 cabriolet and LFA roadster has allowed for ire-drawing rumours to fester against any Toyota/Lexus cabriolets in the cards. Lexus personnel have been shown a prototype of an RC cabriolet since last year, that is more than likely production representative and not the LF-C2. A lead time of 18-24 months for a variant of a complex vehicle, like the RC cabriolet, makes sense. Sign-off in 2014 (mid-stage), launch in 2016. Where are the prototypes is the question?