Tesla HQ moving from California to Austin, TX.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Tesla HQ moving from California to Austin, TX.

Elon Musk announced today that Tesla would be the latest automaker to pack up and move their HQ out of California. They are relocating, as Toyota of America did, to Texas.....this time in Austin instead of Plano.

The immediate reasons he stated were the state's vaccination policies, shelter-in-place, and production-limits, but I suspect that there is a lot more to it than that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...7HR9TyhuOVxPVATechnology

Elon Musk announces Tesla is moving its headquarters from California to Texas​

The announcement came at Tesla’s annual shareholder meeting on Thursday.​

Listen to article
50 sec
By Faiz Siddiqui
Today at 6:32 p.m. EDT

SAN FRANCISCO — Tesla will move its headquarters from Palo Alto, Calif. to Austin, CEO Elon Musk announced at the company’s annual shareholder meeting Thursday.

Musk has hinted for months that a Texas move could be imminent. He himself began living in the state, where Tesla has ramped up a factory in Austin and where many of his aerospace firm SpaceX’s operations are based. Musk lashed out last year at California’s restrictive shelter-in-place measures and their effect on the company’s ability to operate its largest production facility in Fremont, Calif.

Tesla files suit in response to coronavirus restrictions after Musk threatens to relocate operations

“We’re excited to announce we are moving our headquarters to Austin, Texas,” Musk said.

“This is not a matter of Tesla leaving California,” he added.

Musk said Tesla has approached the limits of its capacity in California, though it will continue to grow in the state.

Musk threatened last May that a Texas move could be imminent amid California’s shelter-in-place orders.

“Tesla will now move its HQ and future programs to Texas/Nevada immediately,” he wrote on Twitter in May 2020, though a move did not follow then. “If we even retain Fremont manufacturing activity at all, it will be dependen[t] on how Tesla is treated in the future.”

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
A lot has changed since May of 2020. And that Austin facility will be amazing, I plan to check it out later.
The reality is that expansion and hiring in California is happening today at a high rate, especially in greater Bay Area.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
And that Austin facility will be amazing, I plan to check it out later.
What do you plan to do, Steve? Drive or fly to Austin and personally look at it? Or just try to find some info or images on-line?

Actually, if you DO travel to Austin, I think you might like the city. Culturally, it's different from most other parts of Texas (especially rural or small-town Texas), and is much like your part of California....perhaps because so many people have moved there from California. It is in a somewhat picturesque setting, on the Colorado River, with the Western part of the city in the Texas Hill Country (with some nice views from the hills) and the Central and Eastern part of the city in the Texas Gulf-Flatlands. I lived there myself many years ago, before the population and industrial-boom hit.

True, the whole company is not leaving, but Musk does appear to be relocating the HQ. Perhaps not surprising.....several other automakers, including Toyota or America and Nissan of America, have also relocated their HQ. Toyota went to Plano, TX, and Nissan to Tennessee.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I plan to fly maybe next year to Austin. Looking forward to the visit. I’ve only been to areas around Dallas and Houston years ago. (I’ve toured Fremont factory before COVID)
Yes several automotive HQs in Texas, and all major automakers including Tesla employ hundreds of engineers in CA, mostly in Bay Area.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I suspect that the move is due to taxes, specifically the lack of state income taxes in Texas. Texas has no state income tax whereas California has the highest state income tax.