Lexus RC F Torsen or TVD

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hi there, Would you opt for TVD or stay with Torsen and why?

TVD...at SEMA Paul Williamson a Lexus actually had one cut and brought to be reviewed and it is quite the piece of engineering and I was sold on it. I can't explain it as a techie like he did but I found this article to be pretty good on explaining the differences.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/the-torque-vectoring-differential-on-the-lexus-rc-f-explained/

I feel pretty confident that TVD will be faster in all applications and make a novice driver better. Drawbacks are weight (I think it adds 80 or so lbs) and some reviews say it feels "artificial" but I don't see them complaining about Torque Vectoring on other cars lol.

Reactions
Thanks for replying!

My knowledge could be limited but as I know the TVD's the only LSD in the world that uses electronic motors to gain outside wheel speed by 4-5%. I don't know how exactly it works so I assume it could be twitchy or "artificial" like you mentioned while the motors kick in. According to some press (Autocar, Top Gear mag.. etc.), RC F could be tricky to drift. Since all the press cars came with TVD, I wonder it's the reason to blame...

I want to skip TVD because it only comes with an expensive optional package in my country. But what really worries me is the Torsen if it's not enough to make the car oversteer so Lexus brings up the TVD to aid.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
TVD is an open differential with electronic actuators distributing torque to the outer wheels of a turn. It's not intrusive at all but you definitely feel a different sensation when you're hustling through a slalom or tight turns.

It's easy to get the car to oversteer in either TVD or standard Torsen LSD as long as you have the traction control disabled. TVD is better if you plan to track the car and are looking for consistent lap times. If you're just interested to get the rear end out, stick with the standard Torsen LSD model.

Reactions
Thanks for replying!

So, TVD is open differential!? I thought it'a a clutch type LSD plus actuators/motors... If it's open differential then it's a enhanced version of brake based torque vectoring system that I would definitely ignore.

Reactions: CIF

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
Thanks for replying!

So, TVD is open differential!? I thought it'a a clutch type LSD plus actuators/motors... If it's open differential then it's a enhanced version of brake based torque vectoring system that I would definitely ignore.

It's an open diff with electrical motors on each side that help apply the torque to the outer axle in a turn. There is no help from the brakes.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
Here's the TVD unit disassembled. This was on display at SEMA, LA Auto Show and Detroit:

IMG_1172-XL.jpg

Here's how it works:
10698582_10152581083548731_1372720935723299136_n.jpg

Reactions
The TVD is not twitchy at all, and there is no real perception of when the torque is transferred to the half shaft through the electric motor. All that I experience is remarkable cornering as if the car were on rails.

In effect, the driver dials in the amount of desired oversteer using the accelerator.

The RCF was designed for the TVD. It works extremely well. Fear not.

Thanks for replying!

My knowledge could be limited but as I know the TVD's the only LSD in the world that uses electronic motors to gain outside wheel speed by 4-5%. I don't know how exactly it works so I assume it could be twitchy or "artificial" like you mentioned while the motors kick in. According to some press (Autocar, Top Gear mag.. etc.), RC F could be tricky to drift. Since all the press cars came with TVD, I wonder it's the reason to blame...

I want to skip TVD because it only comes with an expensive optional package in my country. But what really worries me is the Torsen if it's not enough to make the car oversteer so Lexus brings up the TVD to aid.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Car and Driver ran a long-overdue comparison between an RC F with the Torsen LSD and one with the TVD. It first appeared in the October 2015 print edition of the magazine just over a month ago and finally made its way to their website ( http://www.caranddriver.com/features/whats-the-diff-we-put-torque-vectoring-to-the-test-feature ). I added some related commentary on curb weight and equipment packages in a Kaizen Factor story ( http://kaizen-factor.com/tvd-or-not-tvd-that-is-the-question/ )

mikeavelli

Reactions
After driving a LSD equipped RC F and a TVD equipped GS F, the TVD is the way to go without a doubt.

A problem some people might have is do they want to go to the Performance Pack on the RC F for it whereas its standard on the GS F

Reactions
According to Motor Trend, the TVD "track mode" setting was too twitchy on their famous figure-eight. The Slalom setting seems to be the best for many handling courses. It's too bad the RC F is far heavier than it should be.....and low on torque. The TVD could've been even more useful with these changes.