Toyota Faces Boycott Calls Over Donations to Republicans Who Voted Against Certifying Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions
Reactions
why dont he/she/they/them/their do the same with ford, chevy, gm? Toyota is a business. As a business owner, you do what you gotta do to protect your interests. His twitter rants are of a madlady.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
why dont he/she/they/them/their do the same with ford, chevy, gm? Toyota is a business. As a business owner, you do what you gotta do to protect your interests. His twitter rants are of a madlady.
That's not an excuse, they're right.

I am going to write mine.

Reactions

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
IMO, a boycott is not justified. First, Toyota, as a corporation, has the same First-Amendment rights to donate its money to those candidates or causes it agrees with, supports, or deems in its best interest......the Citizens United case in the Supreme Court settled that question a number of years ago. There is no difference between a corporation and an individual when it comes to freedom to donate money to PACs. Labor Unions, in that Citizen's United ruling, have the same rights as individuals and corporations....they can also donate as they see fit. Second, as far as the elections's results go, despite a lot of hype on both sides, the fact is is that we simply don't know if any real fraud took place or not, because any serious attempts to investigate it have been choked off by the powers that be and/or the courts. We have been (officially) told by the media that the election was fair and honest, and are expected, like pawns, to believe it without any question.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
IMO, a boycott is not justified. First, Toyota, as a corporation, has the same First-Amendment rights to donate its money to those candidates or causes it agrees with, supports, or deems in its best interest......the Citizens United case in the Supreme Court settled that question a number of years ago. There is no difference between a corporation and an individual when it comes to freedom to donate money to PACs. Labor Unions, in that Citizen's United ruling, have the same rights as individuals and corporations....they can also donate as they see fit. Second, as far as the elections's results go, despite a lot of hype on both sides, the fact is is that we simply don't know if any real fraud took place or not, because any serious attempts to investigate it have been choked off by the powers that be and/or the courts. We have been (officially) told by the media that the election was fair and honest, and are expected, like pawns, to believe it without any question.

Everything you just posted is misinformation, or bad faith arguments.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence. Just like in the election, decent people spoke up and bad behavior was corrected.

Take your both sides attitude and get lost. Everyone saw January 6th. Everyone knows all accusations of fraud are false and have been thrown out in courts.

Anyone still feeding the big lie should be considered complicit in terrorism like January 6th. At this point it is pretty clear what kind of person you are by how you attempt to defend the disgusting behavior of the far right.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

Toyota PAC cuts off money to lawmakers who fought Biden election certification​

Automaker defended the donations at first — then got some customer feedback​

DETROIT — Toyota has reversed itself and now says its political action committee will no longer contribute to the Republican legislators who voted against certifying Joe Biden's presidential election victory.

The move by the Japanese automaker comes after a social media backlash over the contributions, including threats to stop buying the company's vehicles.

“We understand that the PAC decision to support select members of Congress who contested the results troubled some stakeholders,” Toyota said in a statement Thursday. "We are actively listening to our stakeholders, and at this time, have decided to stop contributing to those members of Congress who contested the certification of certain states in the 2020 election.”

Last week the website Axios reported that Toyota led companies in donations to the 147 members of Congress who voted in January against certifying election results on the false grounds that the election was stolen from then-President Donald Trump.

The Axios report, based on data gathered by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, said that Toyota donated $55,000 to 37 Republican objectors this year. That number was more than double the amount donated by the second-highest donor, Cubic Corp., a defense contractor in San Francisco, Axios said.

Toyota will not seek refunds of contributions it already has made, spokesman Scott Vazin said Thursday in an email. He said the company hasn't decided if or when it will resume the contributions.

Immediately after Toyota's spending was reported, the company defended it, saying it did not believe it’s appropriate to judge legislators based only on their electoral certification vote.

The company took input from employees and government officials, Vazin said. But the most important factor was customer feedback, he said. “That really drives our decision making,” he said.

Contribution data showed that 34 companies donated at least $5,000 to the campaigns and leadership political action committees of one or more election objectors this year, Axios reported.

In addition to criticism on Twitter and elsewhere, the Lincoln Project, a group opposed to Trump, released an internet ad urging people to call Toyota to get the company to stop contributing to the GOP members of Congress.

Shortly after the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, dozens of big companies, citing their commitment to democracy, pledged to avoid donating money to the 147 lawmakers. It was a striking gesture by some of the most familiar names in business but was largely an empty one.

Six months later, many of those companies have resumed funneling cash to political action committees that benefit the election efforts of lawmakers whether they objected to the election certification or not.

Walmart, Pfizer, Intel, General Electric and AT&T are among companies that announced their pledges on behalf of democracy in the days after Trump supporters stormed the Capitol in a violent bid to disrupt the transfer of power. The companies contend that donating directly to a candidate is not the same as giving to a PAC that supports them.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Everything you just posted is misinformation, or bad faith arguments.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence. Just like in the election, decent people spoke up and bad behavior was corrected.

Take your both sides attitude and get lost. Everyone saw January 6th. Everyone knows all accusations of fraud are false and have been throw out in courts.

Anyone still feeding the big lie should be considered complicit in terrorism like January 6th. At this point it is pretty clear what kind of person you are by how you attempt to defend the disgusting behaviour of the far right.

With all due respect, I am neither posting misinformation, nor is it defending far right behavior to state that corporations, unions, and individuals all have the right to donate as they please. That is simply the law and the Constitution....and as it should be.

And, for that matter, I'm not that big a fan of Toyota as a corporation. But I respect their rights....as I would want my own rights to be.

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
With all due respect, I am neither posting misinformation, nor is it defending far right behavior to state that corporations, unions, and individuals all have the right to donate as they please. That is simply the law and the Constitution....and as it should be.

And, for that matter, I'm not that big a fan of Toyota as a corporation. But I respect their rights....as I would want my own rights to be.
This is embarrassing.

Nobody believes you. The world is moving on. People are smart enough to see through attempts at plausible deniability.

Your last comment cemented everything people need to know. Your intent spoke volumes.

Done with this. Thank God for demographic trends and younger people being open minded and civilized.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Done with this. Thank God for demographic trends and younger people being open minded and civilized.

I simply stated the law.....Citizen's United. Unless overturned, It is, and will remain, the law, regardless of who's done with what and so-called "demographics". And that's all I have to say about it, too. I don't think the moderators would want us going on and on...that's why some forums don't allow posts and threads of a political nature.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I simply stated the law.....Citizen's United. Unless overturned, It is, and will remain, the law, regardless of who's done with what and so-called "demographics". And that's all I have to say about it, too. I don't think the moderators would want us going on and on...that's why some forums don't allow posts and threads of a political nature.

Slavery used to be legal too, so congrats I guess on your argument. So is executing lgbtq people in extremist government countries.

"It is legal" is how you end up defending horrendous stuff.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Why doesn't this forum have a popcorn emoji?

I guess this is as good as it gets... 🍿

mikeavelli

Reactions

Mike, there is very minor “fraud” every election. The matter is, was it enough to change the results? After I believe 60 court challenges even the Supreme Court said there was no fraud at that level and the arguments for fraud were so piss poor it was a laughing stock.

I find it really peculiar that when one side wins, the election is fine but when the same side loses, suddenly there is mass fraud. No it’s just mass bull crap.

Did you forget the horse crap 2000 election and the Florida votes going missing? Or that’s fine because the side you vote for won?

The very people screaming USA and Democracy at every turn are destroying it by trying to insult and delegitimize free elections and implementing voter suppression.. That is very very scary and a play out of Putin’s book.

I am glad Toyota changed their stance.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Mike, there is very minor “fraud” every election. The matter is, was it enough to change the results? After I believe 60 court challenges even the Supreme Court said there was no fraud at that level and the arguments for fraud were so piss poor it was a laughing stock.

I find it really peculiar that when one side wins, the election is fine but when the same side loses, suddenly there is mass fraud. No it’s just mass bull crap.

Did you forget the horse crap 2000 election and the Florida votes going missing? Or that’s fine because the side you vote for won?

The very people screaming USA and Democracy at every turn are destroying it by trying to insult and delegitimize free elections and implementing voter suppression.. That is very very scary and a play out of Putin’s book.

I am glad Toyota changed their stance.

Actually, I don't represent most of those views....nor am I necessarily opposed to them. I am a political independent. I just respect the right of Toyota to donate its money as it sees fit, which is the law. If you, or I, or anyone else, doesn't agree with them, well, that's life....certainly, IMO, not a reason for a boycott.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Actually, I don't represent most of those views....nor am I necessarily opposed to them. I am a political independent. I just respect the right of Toyota to donate its money as it sees fit, which is the law. If you, or I, or anyone else, doesn't agree with them, well, that's life....certainly, IMO, not a reason for a boycott.

Sorry, do you think people are boycotting toyota because they are making political donations, or because of who they are donating to?

You know what you're doing, what you're arguing. I've dealt with you people my entire life. Nobody buys it. You could defend slavery with the "it was legal at the time" defense. In fact, I've seen plenty of older folks do just that to defend people who owned slaves.

What a reprehensible bad faith argument to make. If this isn't reasonable to boycott nothing is.

Imagine defending attempted overthrow of government and companies donating to its proponents, and arguing "its legal to donate" like that's what people are upset about.

Hit the bricks, society is moving on whether you like it or not, and people who don't look like you get to exist too. Anyone pretending not to know what those people waving Confederate and trump flags on Jan 6 were all about is playing dumb, and should be assumed to be a sympathizer to those views.

No room for debate on this. Totally justifiable boycott.
Toyota agreed and took action.
It's over.

Will1991

Reactions
Hey guys, I'm locking this thread.

I will leave here TMC's official answer, and, since we're here to talk about our passion towards Lexus, let's try to avoid politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.