Lexus GS F Doug DeMuro reviews the 2020 GSF

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
The problem with the GS F is that it truly is marketed wrong. The 5.0 engine is the successor to the GS400, 430 and 460....if they knocked off the F thing and called it a GS500 and was not trying so hard to emulate a M or AMG, this Lexus would have been received better.....if Lexus branded the LC500 (which carries the same 5.0 engine) as an F, everyone would jump on it...this is the problem with the GS-F

Kudos to Doug for calling it out and slamming it.

Last edited:
Reactions
The problem with the GS F is that it truly is marketed wrong. The 5.0 engine is the successor to the GS400, 430 and 460....if they knocked off the F thing and called it a GS500 and was not trying so hard to emulate a M or AMG, this Lexus would have been received better.....if Lexus branded the LC500 (which carries the same 5.0 engine) as an F, everyone would jump on it

I know Doug ruffled some feathers for sure, but I agree that the asking price of $90k turned away a lot of buyers to the M/AMG, etc. The positioning of the F brand has been talked about already. However, I wouldn't slam the car because I prefer it more than the RC F, but the GS F didn't capture or conquest enough buyers from Ze Germans. I think Lexus' infotainment woes made it a harder sell to the target audience that has a preference for German hot rods.

Last edited:

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Lexus designed the vehicle to be uniquely Lexus, and thus the lack of conformity is where it failed those looking for a Japanese copy of an M5.AMG. I assume that 90k price is paid to achieve not only performance but durability targets that exceed any other vehicle in that range from others hence why Demuro mentions this as a great buy used.

Reactions
Lexus designed the vehicle to be uniquely Lexus, and thus the lack of conformity is where it failed those looking for a Japanese copy of an M5.AMG. I assume that 90k price is paid to achieve not only performance but durability targets that exceed any other vehicle in that range from others hence why Demuro mentions this as a great buy used.
I wonder if he helped sell a few GS Fs today. I counted 6 on Autotempest that were under $50k.

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
The problem with the GS F is that it truly is marketed wrong. The 5.0 engine is the successor to the GS400, 430 and 460....if they knocked off the F thing and called it a GS500 and was not trying so hard to emulate a M or AMG, this Lexus would have been received better.....if Lexus branded the LC500 (which carries the same 5.0 engine) as an F, everyone would jump on it...this is the problem with the GS-F

You have a point in regards to the positioning of the GSF. This has been blatant in the articles I’ve read and the videos I’ve watched in which the GSF is compared to the Cadillac CTS-V and the high performance variants of the midsize sedans offered by German makes. In many of these reviews the Lexus is praised for its fit and finish and its high-revving V8, but gets slammed for being down on power. Although the GSF is the higher performance version of the GS, its horsepower rating is down in comparison to the V, M, and AMG sedans offered by the competition.

Personally, I much prefer the GSF over similar sized sedans from Audi, BMW, Cadillac, and Mercedes, but also understand many being attracted to the higher horsepower ratings.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Doug is a VW/Audi fanboi and his reviews are trash. Having subscribers and views doesn't mean **** to me.

The needle has moved these cars aint 70-80k anymore. A GS F loaded is 90k. I know sounds like a ton. When you compare it to other special badged cars, its cheap. The CTS-V is even 100-105k loaded. The M5/E63 S is 110-160k. That is a huge difference in price and performance. And for myself I'll be honest it is sticker shock to add a couple options to these cars and they are 130k. These cars used to be relative bargains. At that price I just can't fathom it. Their performance and tech are way above the GS F. It isn't close.

I agree maybe the "F" badge shouldn't have been used when the competition was so much more powerful. That said the GS F is one of the great all around sport sedans today and fast enough for most people.

To me the GS F is the spiritual successor to the E39 M5 sans the manual. Perfect size, beautiful sound, RWD and rather simple. I still hope to grab one.

I think Doug is stuck that a GS F is a 90k car. That is a lot of money and is not a GS F problem, it is an industry problem. Car prices are insane today. A loaded RC F is also 90k and a track edition is 105k. A C63 S is 100k with option. We are talking about a C-CLASS!!!

Not sure where this is all headed. Are you trying to tell me my 5 year old in twenty years will be paying 150k for a C63S? lol

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
You have a point in regards to the positioning of the GSF. This has been blatant in the articles I’ve read and the videos I’ve watched in which the GSF is compared to the Cadillac CTS-V and the high performance variants of the midsize sedans offered by German makes. In many of these reviews the Lexus is praised for its fit and finish and its high-revving V8, but gets slammed for being down on power. Although the GSF is the higher performance version of the GS, its horsepower rating is down in comparison to the V, M, and AMG sedans offered by the competition.

Personally, I much prefer the GSF over similar sized sedans from Audi, BMW, Cadillac, and Mercedes, but also understand many being attracted to the higher horsepower ratings.

Thanks..happy to you see my point of view.

I agree maybe the "F" badge shouldn't have been used when the competition was so much more powerful. That said the GS F is one of the great all around sport sedans today and fast enough for most people.

Remove the F, and it is just a GS500...I think that is where Lexus errored.

Doug is a VW/Audi fanboi and his reviews are trash. Having subscribers and views doesn't mean **** to me.

I don't mind Doug...he is full of it...like most YouTubers...Doug needs views....Anyone shopping for a $90,000 performance sedan will not be swayed by Dougs opinion in anyway....the people likely watching Doug are NOT those who are looking for a new $90K GSF...they are probably the people in the second-hand or third-hand buying market which is why he cleverly put in the dig for those buy used (or something like that)....

Last edited:

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
his reviews are trash.

The actual production value of his reviews is toilet water levels. It's painful to watch. His voice is also absolutely beyond grating, especially when his register keeps going up and down when he's going on quite a long spiel.

I have watched a fair few of his videos purely because he does get hold of some vehicles no one else has taken a proper look at, but he honestly barely deserves 1/10th of his following.

Look at someone like Savagegeese who must probably puts about 30 hours into each review factoring in editing and driving shots and research etc, and he's nowhere near Doug in terms of YouTube numbers. It's ridiculously annoying.

Reactions
Look at someone like Savagegeese who must probably puts about 30 hours into each review factoring in editing and driving shots and research etc, and he's nowhere near Doug in terms of YouTube numbers. It's ridiculously annoying.
Like all YTers, every reviewer does there take differently. Mark is very different from Doug, but he does a better job explaining the features of the cars to buyers, rather than just the quirks and features, and has a better knowledge of what's under the hood and can be much more technical than Doug could ever be. Doug doesn't do a very thorough drive for sure. I think Mark's review on the GS-F would probably be better for potential GS F buyers than Doug's.

However, I have heard criticism of Savagegeese and some people think he is a douche and condescending, but criticism comes with the territory of being online. Most viewers just watch a video because of the car.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
some people think he is a douche and condescending

His sense of humour is so hilariously unique that I think it genuinely goes right over the head of 30% of his audience who aren't regulars. He makes comments about how much of a pimp and a gangster he is but does it so dead-pan that people who aren't that attune with comedy would think he's being real. I think he's absolutely excellent, just a down to Earth guy who tells it like it is.

Reactions
His sense of humour is so hilariously unique that I think it genuinely goes right over the head of 30% of his audience who aren't regulars. He makes comments about how much of a pimp and a gangster he is but does it so dead-pan that people who aren't that attune with comedy would think he's being real. I think he's absolutely excellent, just a down to Earth guy who tells it like it is.
Yeah, his reviews rub some people the wrong way, but you just have to get used to it. I'll take it anyday over Scotty K. He does really do a good job analyzing the cars he drives, but this one here is the best lol.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

The needle has moved these cars aint 70-80k anymore. A GS F loaded is 90k. I know sounds like a ton. When you compare it to other special badged cars, its cheap. The CTS-V is even 100-105k loaded. The M5/E63 S is 110-160k. That is a huge difference in price and performance. And for myself I'll be honest it is sticker shock to add a couple options to these cars and they are 130k. These cars used to be relative bargains. At that price I just can't fathom it. Their performance and tech are way above the GS F. It isn't close.

To me the GS F is the spiritual successor to the E39 M5 sans the manual. Perfect size, beautiful sound, RWD and rather simple. I still hope to grab one.

I think Doug is stuck that a GS F is a 90k car. That is a lot of money and is not a GS F problem, it is an industry problem. Car prices are insane today. A loaded RC F is also 90k and a track edition is 105k. A C63 S is 100k with option. We are talking about a C-CLASS!!!

Not sure where this is all headed. Are you trying to tell me my 5 year old in twenty years will be paying 150k for a C63S? lol

At 2% inflation yes.
It would be $165k at 2.5% inflation.