Hyundai engine horror show

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Saw this at GTA Hyundai. My brother had his Hyundai Elantra engine replaced.
Be wary about Hyundai.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
There have been multiple Elantra engine recalls, including one in February of this year where they didn't have a fuse on the ABS so if water intruded you'd get an engine fire (on the plus side, that was for an older-generation model).

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Hyundai likes to play up it’s 100K mile (non-transferable) drivetrain warranty, but recent events do not inspire confidence even if most were handled via recalls. I personally know of 2 Sonata engine failures in 2018.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
True recalls are common enough, some more dramatic than others (as shown above).

My last Lexus (07 IS350) had over 6 recalls and one warranty enhancement, a personal best in number of recalls.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
We were looking at some cars on Sunday. We are looking to replace one of our older models. We looked at Hyundai, some nice designs and and some really nice features.

As we stroll the lotwe see more engines in the back destined for the trash.

Sad, the value and prices are right there...but then we see the engines and we say “can’t pull the trigger”
This would be the second Hyundai dealer where I have seen this.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
There's no excuse to dispose of stuff like that. If they're cutting corners there, i would be worried about what else they would half ass.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Honestly... having worked in different Toyota and Lexus dealerships, that sight is not uncommon. And it may not even be the car's fault - people do a lot of stupid things with cars.

These are from the big recall Hyundai is doing. I think it is all Elantra.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
well, they did replace a lot of leaders few years back due to unacceptable quality issues. So that has to be a step in right direction.

As a organization, they were never so much into QDR as Toyota, if at all. Completely different market and that is also fine.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Is the bar from side to side holding the engine or is that just to keep the body from twisting due to half the front end being gone?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
If you zoom in, there's a hard-to-see eye-loop it's going through that appears to be holding up the engine.

In fairness to Hyundai, I saw a YouTube video recently about replacing the trunk-mounted battery in a recent Caddy. GM's recommended procedure was to remove the trunk lid, one of the taillights, the trim on the side of the trunk, the underside of the rear window deck, and a few other things. Talk about not designing for service.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If you zoom in, there's a hard-to-see eye-loop it's going through that appears to be holding up the engine.

In fairness to Hyundai, I saw a YouTube video recently about replacing the trunk-mounted battery in a recent Caddy. GM's recommended procedure was to remove the trunk lid, one of the taillights, the trim on the side of the trunk, the underside of the rear window deck, and a few other things. Talk about not designing for service.

this is pretty common in general.

Where you see the difference is that some brands are much easier to take apart and put back, than others.
Like Toyota's are super easy to work with and to add Toyota accessory parking sensors, you had to take apart half of the car. But it was not a problem.

To do that on some other brands is really major pain in the back.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
All brands have recalls. The picture looks really bad but its part of being in the business.

Exactly. And what a lot of people forget is that is what Toyota and Lexus service bays used to look like back when the 3.0L V6s were sludging/gelling up from oil that was deteriorating from running too hot.