Are these upcoming Lexus model news LEGIT?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions

Toyota/Lexus are looking to drop the V8 engine in vehicles that cost less than $90,000 and will introduce a new twin-turbo V8 in 2022 in the LC-F.

Speaking of Lexus, the 2022MY will bring a facelift for the LS and ES sedans, while the GS is going to be retired. Apparently, the Mirai and ES are seen are replacements for the aging sedan, but it is believed Lexus dealers were shocked when the fuel cell rear-wheel-drive sedan was introduced with a Toyota badge rather than a Lexus. As for the IS, the next-gen model is said to arrive during the 2021 calendar year.

On the SUV side, the entry-level UX will be facelifted during the 2021 calendar year for the 2022MY. The same model year will see the introduction of an all-new NX slated to come out in the fall of 2021 on the TNGA-K platform with five different powertrains, including a 2.5-liter plug-in hybrid with 40 miles (64 kilometers) of electric range. The NX is said to use a newly developed infotainment system with a 14-inch touchscreen as part of a “unique cockpit.” Some of the other tech will include a cloud-based navigation system and remote parking using a smartphone app, while the F-Sport model will offer 20-inch wheels. We’re being told it will have a “strikingly avant-garde design with revolutionary tech.”

Another model bound to ride on the TNGA-K platform will be the 2023 RX due to arrive in the 2022 calendar year as a “much better executed three-row family vehicle.” The current GX will remain in production until 2022, with a replacement currently in development for a 2023 launch.

The next LX will reportedly represent a “huge departure” from the current model. It’s said to become far more luxurious and “an entirely different vehicle” compared to the outgoing LX, with a twin-turbo V6 hybrid underneath the hood and a diesel outside of the United States. The next-gen LX is slated to come out sometime in 2022 and will be more along the lines of a Bentley Bentayga rather than a luxed-up Land Cruiser.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I have a feeling the refreshed LS could get a V8 option. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but ToMoCo is going to need more use cases for this new V8 engine to rationalize building it, and LS needs that engine as an option. I don't care if it's called LS 550, LS 600, LS F Sport or LS F, I would just love to see 8 cylinders under the hood and think it would go a long way towards improving the LS.

Use cases could be:
LC (standard, new detuned version to replace 5.0L V8)
LC F (standard blown F V8)
LS (optional over TT V6)
LS F (standard blown F V8)
LX (optional over TT V6)
LX F (standard blown F V8)
LQ (optional over TT V6)
LQ F (standard blown F V8)
Tundra (optional over TT V6)
Sequoia (optional over TT V6)
Land Cruiser (optional over TT V6)

James

Founding Member
Reactions
How much substance can we put on this? Isn't Lexus notoriously quiet? This seems like a lot of information on a lot of different models? Also, nothing on LF1? Is that what the LX is going to become? Love all the information and god do we need it but I'm wondering on the validity of all this before I get too excited...

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Lexus definitely needs to make more news. Now that they report their sales quarterly there's nothing to chat about regarding sales for 8 months of the year...Lexus needs to bring in a few new models (LF-1 (LQ)) as well as new variants of existing models (RC vert/4 door coupe, LS F, IS F)...we won't be getting the UX 300e or LM 350/300h, we don't have the IS 300h or RC 300h, etc...

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Toyota/Lexus did it all wrong for the Supra. Toyota should have developed inhouse a straight 6 motor (3JZ-GTE). That very same motor would go into the IS and RC to spread the development costs but instead we got the BMW Supra and very little excitement for the IS and RC...

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Toyota/Lexus did it all wrong for the Supra. Toyota should have developed inhouse a straight 6 motor (3JZ-GTE). That very same motor would go into the IS and RC to spread the development costs but instead we got the BMW Supra and very little excitement for the IS and RC...

Honestly it feels like there was a snap to electrification on a tighter timeline, and it feels like some plans got compromised to facilitate changes.

It's an uninformed guess, but that's what it feels like to me, especially with the gs -> mirai.

Will1991

Reactions
Honestly it feels like there was a snap to electrification on a tighter timeline, and it feels like some plans got compromised to facilitate changes.

It's an uninformed guess, but that's what it feels like to me, especially with the gs -> mirai.

Which, given how much know-how Toyota has from electrification, it's really close to unacceptable to Lexus or Toyota to be caught off guard.... It really shows lack of proper product planing...

I won't go further (read BEV's) than this, Lexus got it's first Hybrid around 2005, 15 years later and we can't buy a Lexus PHEV... They went from pioneers for back of the pack... While clearly having the best technology around!

Toyota is also bad, but not as bad since we can have a Prius Prime which is incredible economical (maybe as much as some BEV's) and we already officially know RAV4 Prime's specifications which are promising.