Which Model GX460 to Choose for Off-Roader

Reactions
I'm going to buy a CPO GX 460. Problem is I don't know if I absolutely need the Luxury version for off-roading. I do a fair amount of desert and mountain crawling now in my Land Rover. And I also never tow.
Do I need to buy the Luxury version for it's limited air suspension, or can I essentially do the same off-roading with the Base or Premium models? Thanks!

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
If you plan to lift or do a suspension swap avoid the rear air. If you overland, id go pre 14

Reactions
As an option, you may wish to consider a Toyota 4Runner (but NOT the Limited), as some models are superb off-roaders right from the factory, such as the TRD Off-Road, or the TRD Pro. We had a 2014 Trail (same as TRD Off-Road) that was great off-road. Be sure to get one with the KDSS suspension option, which is absolutely fantastic. But totally forget any running boards, as they WILL scrape on taller rocks. Ask me how I know this.

Or, look at some used Land Cruisers as they are even better off-road than any 4Runner, and equipped as nicely as a Lexus. The LC also has the KDSS suspension standard, which isn't available on any U.S. Lexus.

Last edited:
Reactions
As an option, you may wish to consider a Toyota 4Runner (but NOT the Limited), as some models are superb off-roaders right from the factory, such as the TRD Off-Road, or the TRD Pro. We had a 2014 Trail (same as TRD Off-Road) that was great off-road. Be sure to get one with the KDSS suspension option, which is absolutely fantastic. But totally forget any running boards, as they WILL scrape on taller rocks. Ask me how I know this.

Or, look at some used Land Cruisers as they are even better off-road than any 4Runner, and equipped as nicely as a Lexus. The LC also has the KDSS suspension standard, which isn't available on any U.S. Lexus.
Thanks. But I'm pretty set on the GX. I've test riden the 4runner. Not as plush. And as much as I like the LX, its way bigger than I'll ever need.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
No, no plans for a suspension lift. Just wanted to know if I really needed that feature of the Lux version.
To be fair then anything is good. The rear air wont help on travel, it will however bring AVS, adaptive shocks which can react to the road conditions. To be fair though, you would need to td both back to back to notice a difference if any, as these are really old tech v1 compared to whats available now with magnaride, air ride etc that work really effectively in terms of ride quality.

Reactions
Especially if you are buying used don't worry about vehicle having AVS/RAHC. Many have removed now on GXOR and other than a possible adjustment to the right rear leveling sensor it can be done without any lights or errors. I find the extra options of a '10-'13 Premium or '14+ Luxury worth it. You do have to leave the air compressor in place even though it isn't used. I'm sure a better solution will come with time.