Mazda developing new Skyactiv-X / Skyactiv-D inline 6

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Yes Mazda shaping to take the role that Xedos left

Regarding RX9 or any RX must only be rotary and Mazda already ditched that in 2018 due the new EPA and emission laws in the global market

Mazda 2 will never get the Skyactive-X 4 2.0 litre let alone the 3.0 litre

Mazda 9 if they will make it they better take the ready valid TNGA-K even there's no valid reason for both 6 & 9 especially if the 6 take Vision Coupe as the 3 take the Vision KAI

Last edited:
Reactions
Skyactiv X I6 for next gen IS :) With supercharger it will be awesome.

Great idea but no. Toyota needs to put their twin-turbocharged V6 into the mid-range IS. They already have an amazing engine and to put a Mazda engine in a car from legendary luxury brand is where we need to pump the brakes and ABS fires up. It's unfortunate that we're being reduced to this. Mazda engines???

I want a 416 horsepower IS!! It's literally the same power as the 2nd gen ISF. Get on with the twin-turbocharged V8's as well!!

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Bestcar got inside info from Toyota that they will also use these I6 engines. Mazda started development only after promise from Toyota to use them. One of Toyota models that gets the engines is 4door coupe size of Mark-X. Collaboration of these two manufacturers will affect also Lexus line up.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Bestcar got inside info from Toyota that they will also use these I6 engines. Mazda started development only after promise from Toyota to use them. One of Toyota models that gets the engines is 4door coupe size of Mark-X. Collaboration of these two manufacturers will affect also Lexus line up.
I would be ecstatic if that rumor turns out to be true. I could see a tit-for-tat exchange where the new Mazda large RWD architecture turns out to be a variant of Toyota's TNGA-N (Toyota Crown) or even (gasp!) Lexus' GA-L in exchange for Toyota/Lexus accessing the Mazda inline 6.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I would be ecstatic if that rumor turns out to be true. I could see a tit-for-tat exchange where the new Mazda large RWD architecture turns out to be a variant of Toyota's TNGA-N (Toyota Crown) or even (gasp!) Lexus' GA-L in exchange for Toyota/Lexus accessing the Mazda inline 6.

Honestly, that's the only logical step in Toyota/Mazda relationship, honestly that's also what I was waiting for in Toyota/Subaru relationship, Toyota is not from those corps that buy another company everyday as GM, Ford, VAG, etc., So it really suck the technology of any company it started to take share, as what they did with Daihatsu and it's kei car, Hino and it's ladder chassis, so the logical steps is the symmetrical AWD from Subaru and the Skyactive from Mazda, no matter where they put the tech and in which vehicles, but definitely they will use them

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I had mentioned this back in 2017, that the 6 would get a 2nd facelift, to give Mazda time to develop a production Vision as the RWD replacement. Mazda engineers have been fighting for RWD lineup, since KODO/SkyActive cars first entered production.

The slow pace Mazda has been taking, with no Mazdaspeed or expensive powertrains, had been to build up a treasure chest, to spend towards vanity projects down the road and elevate the brand after 2 model cycles of Kodo.

I've seen this approach taken by smaller OEMs, who prefer to use actual savings as against borrowing money to fund expensive projects. We've had 2 generations of CX-5, parts sharing in the CX-8 and CX-9, a long 8-year generation Atenza/Mazda6, and 2 generations of Mazda3/Axela.

They have earned enough money to be able to fund more performance oriented ventures, but let's hope the board continues to follow through and Toyota doesn't take issue (LOL).

**Please excuse any typos. Between autocorrect and voice-to-text, it's a mess!**

Last edited:

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
"このマツダとトヨタのコラボレーション企画は、さらにレクサス車にも展開が計画されているという。

来年モデルチェンジが予定されているISはクラウンで新開発されたTNGAプラットフォームをベースにしたV6エンジン搭載モデルとして開発されているが、その次のISは直6エンジンを搭載するマツダとのコラボプラットフォームを採用する。

また、このプラットフォームは2ドアクーペのRCにも展開されていくことで開発コストのスケールメリットが活かされる。

さらにこの新開発直6プラットフォームを活かしたスポーツモデルへの展開も計画されている。

レクサスの2ドアクーペスポーツは、RCの上級となるとLCまで一気に車格がアップしてしまうが、このRCとLCの間を埋めるスポーツクーペを投入することでRCユーザーの「次の1台」としてBMW6シリーズやアウディA7と真っ向勝負できるポジションを強化する。"
From bestcarweb.jp
This collaboration betweeb Toyota and Mazda will spread to Lexus line-up. IS, which has modelchange due to next year, will be based on Crown and have V6. But next IS after that will have codeveloped Mazda's platform and I6. This platform will be introduced also for next RC and new sports model filling gap between LC and RC and competing 6 series and A7. Cars with this platform are out in 2022.
My note: I understand co-operation with Mazda in low volume models, but I am bit skeptic about Mazda with Lexus since it is near premium brand. But who knows if by 2022 Mazda is transformed, like Volvo, from people mover to premium. Article contained also info for new Mazda models and Toyota 4 door coupe.
ddfd86255cadd9121d953ded485da7651-768x417.jpg
New Coupe
31a6557540fd908b830dad3041cab0452-768x403.jpg
Next RC

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The switch to I6 is not only emotionally more exciting but also logically superior. V6 has no merit compared to I6 in a longitudinal platform just from cost alone and the only reason they exist is FWD. If Lexus doesn't drop the V35A-FTS into a performance model of ES/NX/RX then it's completely wasted effort.

If this partnership really goes through, then we also have reason to believe they will consolidate future Dynamic Force and Sktactiv into a single program. Toyota and Mazda are already converging on tech choice for their 45%+ efficiency engines, it only makes sense for them to not waste effort and money engineering separate engines.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Did you read that somewhere?
Sorry forgot to include link

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Sorry forgot to include link
Just ran that MotorFan article through Google Translate. It's a very interesting mixed bag. On the one hand, it includes very feasible specifications for the future SkyActiv-X inline 6, plus its rationale as something with performance specs just above the ever-common 2-liter turbo inline 4s but with the unparalleled silky smoothness of an inline 6.

On the other hand, color me deeply skeptical of their claims that the CX-5 and CX-9 crossovers will migrate to a RWD/longitudinal engine platform.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It is really interesting to see two opposite approaches to next-gen ICEs from different manufacturers:
1) Mazda with their Skyactiv-X concept that focuses on boosted lean-burn, trading power density for absolute efficiency. In fact using this approach they will regress in hp/L. Hybridization is used to compensate for the lost power. The most obvious drawback of this strategy is that it could not be used in utility vehicles: hybridization won't give extra payload or towing capacity since the bottleneck is the output of the ICE.
2) Europeans that focus on maximum downsizing. BMW and friends are chasing a 0.5x downsizing factor, meaning that a 2.0L Inline-4 will replace what used to be a NA 4.0L V8, compared to the current 0.66x downsizing factor (2.0L I4 replacing 3.0L V6/I6). I'm talking about regular engines not performance engines of course; there are already engines with <0.5x downsizing factors out there but they do that by trading efficiency and drivability. Combined with 48V mild hybrid this route gives a "purer" ICE experience. But the obvious drawback is being significant down on MPG.

A company as big as Toyota will likely employ both strategies, having two lines of ICEs optimized for different purposes.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
The problem is what you said , they are two world different strategies,

The Germans doing that because of there own sporty history, so if they start doing somewhat dull engines, there own heritage and there own market recognition allowing them for that which is totally different for the Japanese whom keep making dull cars from the end of 90s except few examples here and there, so now the Japanese need to do performance to shake there own market recognition towards the luxury and sporty line

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
So they will make the 3 / CX5 / CX30 FF
6 / CX7 / CX9 FR ?
Not exactly. The MotorFan article implicitly suggests the following:

Small Architecture (transverse engine layout - FF):
Mazda2, Mazda3, CX-3*, CX-30, CX-4*
*if these models see next-generation successors

Large Architecture (longitudinal engine layout - FR)
Mazda6, rumored flagship sedan and/or coupe, CX-5, rumored CX-7, CX-8, CX-9

Here's the Google-translated conclusion of the MotorFan article:

⇒Mazda's CX-5 and above all have 6 cylinders as the standard engine.

CX-5, CX-8, CX-9 SUV, Mazda 6, and upcoming advanced coupes, sports cars, and other standard engines for rear-wheel drive vehicles that use Mazda's Large architecture will be 3.0 straight 6SKYACTIV-X It is assumed that it becomes. How about it?

I'm still very skeptical that CX-5 will move to the longitudinal Large Architecture and somewhat skeptical of CX-7, 8 and 9 doing the same. Mazda's transverse-engined sedans and crossovers already sacrifice space efficiency for swoopy, almost RWD-like styling. Throw in an engine compartment long enough for an inline 6, and you only compound the problem. Even BMW gave in to this conundrum and moved the 1-Series, most 2-Series, X1 and X2 models to its UKL transverse-engined platform.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I think Mazda also have the naming problem that it will solve with the next problem

For example
2 - CX2 as the current CX3 successor
3 - CX3 as the current CX5 successor
6 - CX6 as the current CX8 / CX7 successor
9 - CX9

That way it will be clean and expressive which car in which category

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The problem is what you said , they are two world different strategies,

The Germans doing that because of there own sporty history, so if they start doing somewhat dull engines, there own heritage and there own market recognition allowing them for that which is totally different for the Japanese whom keep making dull cars from the end of 90s except few examples here and there, so now the Japanese need to do performance to shake there own market recognition towards the luxury and sporty line
It has nothing to do with sportiness. It's just about the approach to hybridization and reducing emissions.

Having a higher specific output doesn't suddenly make the engine sportier. By your logic the 2UR-GSE is a dull engine because it 'only' makes 94hp/L. Yes 400hp from 2.0L sounds impressive but it is no more capable (If not less capable) than a 3.0L with 400hp.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Let's please try to keep discussion here to the potential Mazda inline 6 and RWD architecture. Posts on the Mazda e-TPV EV with rotary range extender have been moved to a separate Garage thread discussing the latter.