NX Back Door Rattle

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
Any other NX owner experiencing severe rattling when listening to bassy music?

In my wife's NX the rattle comes from the plastic cover on the inside of the back door, where the woofer is located. With the back door open and the music playing, when I press against the plastic cover the rattling noise subsides slightly.

Testing with the same music and bass levels in an IS (without Mark Levinson audio) no rattles are heard.

RAL

Reactions
I had the same problem with bassy music . . . rattle coming from the same location subsiding slightly with pressure applied. We'd had the NX only a few days when this started.
Then it stopped and I haven't heard it since! Go figure? . . .

There was a glasses case in the front right passenger's door . . . in the space for a water/soft drink bottle. I can only guess that the case was wedged in such a way that vibration from the speaker in the door may have caused the noise. But, that doesn't explain why the rattle seemed to be coming from that back speaker . . . :confused:

I hope the rattle doesn't return. And I hope yours goes away too. :)

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I haven't heard any in mine. If your Lexus dealer may not be able to help, consider a DIY to install Dynamat or equivalent sound deadened. Good luck.

RAL

Reactions
Update:

Difficult to locate the source of this LOUD strangely intermittent vibration recurring in our NX lift gate. Believe it or not . . . it was coming from the license plate!

Though the plate was securely mounted, certain pitches in bassy music reverberated from the speaker mounted in the lift gate through to the license plate . . .
even at moderate bass settings and volumes.

Glad to report . . . all-weather stripping on the back of the plate eliminated it.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Update:

Difficult to locate the source of this LOUD strangely intermittent vibration recurring in our NX lift gate. Believe it or not . . . it was coming from the license plate!

Though the plate was securely mounted, certain pitches in bassy music reverberated from the speaker mounted in the lift gate through to the license plate . . .

Glad to report . . . all-weather stripping on the back of the plate eliminated it.

Great to hear it was just that and I'll look into mine as well. Thanks for the update.

Reactions: RAL

SamT

Fan
Reactions
Depending on volume level, a subwoofer at the back will certainly produce rattle or vibration.

Reactions
Update:

Where did ya get the all weather stripping? i kinda have the same problem with my music.

Reactions: RAL

RAL

Reactions
Where did ya get the all weather stripping? i kinda have the same problem with my music.
I bought it at a local hardware store. I would think you could get it at Lowes or Home Depot. It comes in various widths and thicknesses. I used half inch wide by quarter inch thick. I applied it around the outer perimeter of the plate. Remove the white backing and apply the adhesive side to the back of the plate. Hope it works for you.

DSC01990_2.jpg

RAL

Reactions
I notice you are a new member as of today johnny99. Let me say 'welcome' to our community . . . glad to have you!

Reactions
I bought it at a local hardware store. I would think you could get it at Lowes or Home Depot. It comes in various widths and thicknesses. I used half inch wide by quarter inch thick. I applied it around the outer perimeter of the plate. Remove the white backing and apply the adhesive side to the back of the plate. Hope it works for you.

View attachment 482

oh great! gonna head to Home Depot today haha. thanks for the info and thanks for warm welcome! :)