krew

10 Years of Lexus F Celebration at Goodwood Festival of Speed
18-07-10-lexus-festival-of-f.jpg

Every F model in attendance.
View the original article post

JJohn341

Fan
Reactions
Cant wait to watch it. F cars and LFA are going to be the some of the best sounding and good to look at cars there.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
LFA terminated
ISF terminated
RCF to be deleted
GSF maybe not having next generation

RIP F Marque

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
One of the hardest losses for Lexus and the GS is dropping the GS F. Even if they come up with a next gen IS F, the amount of dead space between a ~$65-70k IS F and a ~$120k LS F is too much. They can't do anything with a FWD ES, unless maybe the next gen TNGA FWD platform can accommodate a much higher performance AWD system with better balance and weight distribution. That's a decade away.

At this point, I think it would make more sense for Lexus to drop the RC than the GS, and reposition the GS as a four door coupe like we've all been saying. The GS is selling 2x+ RC numbers.

IS F
GS F
LS F
LC F
... is a decent lineup, but without GS F, the whole "F" concept really means very little. One "attainable" car with IS F and then two halo $120k models at the top? There's no continuity. No consistency.

Lexus' best bet is NX F and RX F, but again, I don't think TNGA has the capacity to support high performance AWD and high horsepower applications in FWD-biased cars like Audi does.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Most of the recent reports pointed that there won't be a new RC may be just IS coupe as previous

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
You know what's even worse than an incomplete and inconsistent F line-up? Lexus manages to sell a large number of F-Sport packages even without attractive F cars. The whole point of these low-volume performance cars is to increase the average selling price of regular models through additional packages. If the packages sell themselves it just gives Lexus a very convenient excuse to not pursue a strong F lineup.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Of course. Ze Germans could end AMG and M tomorrow and the "_ Sport" packages would continue to fly off the shelves. It's as irrational as CUVs.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@mikeavelli
Do you want to say that we will see a next generation RC?

@Ian Schmidt
It's totally rational and logic, the Germans worked so hard regarding this point of super saloons, they even now changed the definition of luxury from comfort to sport

JJohn341

Fan
Reactions
Yikes... this was timely based on our discussion here. Great review IMO.

The discussion above is all based on preconception some of us have instilled by opinions based on no-owners and inexperienced reviewers. Why does an enthusiast think that a car need to have 600+ HP to be desirable? I personally find that all F cars are very misjudged. They comparative have better power-train and interiors. Every reviews mention weight but all of the cars weigh about the same in real life. One more thing most of the F owners are very enthusiastic about the vehicle they own, after-all they looked at the segment, read the reviews and yet with all the negativity they still purchased the car.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The discussion above is all based on preconception some of us have instilled by opinions based on no-owners and inexperienced reviewers. Why does an enthusiast think that a car need to have 600+ HP to be desirable? I personally find that all F cars are very misjudged. They comparative have better power-train and interiors. Every reviews mention weight but all of the cars weigh about the same in real life. One more thing most of the F owners are very enthusiastic about the vehicle they own, after-all they looked at the segment, read the reviews and yet with all the negativity they still purchased the car.

I agree. His review is garbage here. The RC F has fared well considering everything he has mentioned. I guess my glass is half full.

Let's be honest here, it could have 700hp and drive like a GT3 for 40k and people will still buy their German AMG, M etc...

For a first effort in a very tough market it is pretty damn good. Ironically my biggest gripe is not mentioned as much and that I wish it had a better interior and some of the camera features on even the RX...

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
At least it wasn't the UX. And since it caught fire in the back, it's a fuel tank or fuel pump issue probably.