Uncertain Future for the Lexus GX & LX Models

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-04-03-lexus-gx-cancelled-400x200.jpg

In an interview with Autoblog, Lexus International executive vice president discusses the future of the GX & LX models.
View the original article post

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
Two off-roaders may be too much when the market has largely moved over to passenger car based cross-overs. Also,the ever tightening emission regulations are a challenge. A hybrid Land Cruiser/GX/LX would solve that issue,but is such a car more than a rumour? Does anyone know?

mikeavelli

Reactions
I particularly remember the early 2000s when Lexus came with the GX and had 3 SUVs, at the time unheard of and all the bashing Lexus got. Shows they were ahead of their time in regards to the SUV concept of becoming an integral part of luxury sales. Interesting to think they had so much success with the car based RX and never made the effort to make a larger car based SUV. Obviously the GX and LX do well for them financially and keep consumers happy.

That said today car based SUVs dominate the field and the Germans offer now even more SUVs than Lexus. There is a X7 coming and more super premium SUVs coming.

It would be great if one of the true off roaders lived on (think Mercedes G-Wagon) and one of them turn car based. Its obvious the Germans feel you can have 4-5 SUVs in your lineup so Lexus should feel the same.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Two off-roaders may be too much when the market has largely moved over to passenger car based cross-overs. Also,the ever tightening emission regulations are a challenge. A hybrid Land Cruiser/GX/LX would solve that issue,but is such a car more than a rumour? Does anyone know?

Templin's comments in the article were understandably very vague. Toyota or Lexus doesn't give out specific future product plans.

A couple of years ago or so in fact, Toyota and Ford entered into a short partnership to collaborate on a hybrid system for pickup trucks and large SUVs. The word then was that Ford and Toyota each had separate hybrid systems under development for large trucks and SUVs and wanted to collaborate. That partnership ended quickly, with both companies deciding to go at it alone working on their separate systems. I can't imagine Toyota abandoning their body-on-frame SUVs. Faced with the unique challenges of future regulations, I'm sure Toyota will step up to the challenge and provide an innovative way to deal with future regulations while still keeping body-on-frame vehicles in the lineup. This future heavy truck/SUV hybrid system would do the trick I think.

At this point I think it's likely such a system will come to production. Toyota's commercial truck subsidiary Hino, has had for many years a hybrid option on some of their models. These systems have been proven on the Hino trucks. In fact, Hino's hybrid system is available on a range of their models from trucks, to buses. It's logical to use the expertise of the Hino division to make a similar system for Toyota and Lexus. The Hino hybrid system is a diesel-electric hybrid system, but I'm sure that can be adapted to gasoline hybrids, or offer a diesel-hybrid system for select models.

Some examples of the Hino hybrids:

Hino-155h-hybrid.jpg

Hino-motors_selega-hybrid_RU1ASAR_rear.jpg

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
It needs a redesign that is the problem. People who buy these ultra premium SUVs need to feel posh. If celebrities and athletes look pass it, then it won't be a seller. I get it, seen them on the road and it put me to sleep. Last of the remaining lexus lines that you can actually say *yawn*

Toyota can cash-in with its FJ & Land Cruiser just like Merc is milking the G Wagon. To a lot it is some ugly box, to others it is that x factor that sets you apart. That thing is a straight up status symbol though, so automatically when people see you, they know wassup (BALLER!)

Lexus, back to the drawing board mates... Don't be too afraid to fail, create some out of the box SUV. Turbo's certainly will help you meet standards. but typical SLOW-AS-SNAILS to market demand.

mikeavelli

Reactions
CIF thanks for that info, I was unaware of that!

It needs a redesign that is the problem. People who buy these ultra premium SUVs need to feel posh. If celebrities and athletes look pass it, then it won't be a seller. I get it, seen them on the road and it put me to sleep. Last of the remaining lexus lines that you can actually say *yawn*

Toyota can cash-in with its FJ & Land Cruiser just like Merc is milking the G Wagon. To a lot it is some ugly box, to others it is that x factor that sets you apart. That thing is a straight up status symbol though, so automatically when people see you, they know wassup (BALLER!)

Lexus, back to the drawing board mates... Don't be too afraid to fail, create some out of the box SUV. Turbo's certainly will help you meet standards. but typical SLOW-AS-SNAILS to market demand.

I'm a self-professed Lexus fanboy but the Range Rover Sport, X5 M and even the GL 550 press the right buttons......

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
CIF thanks for that info, I was unaware of that!

I'm a self-professed Lexus fanboy but the Range Rover Sport, X5 M and even the GL 550 press the right buttons......
Because they're not rebadged Toyotas.

Ray99

Founding Member
Reactions
just add TX as crossover in Lexus SUV line up, you will do fine Lexus. Don't kill LX and GX just yet. IMHO, both SUVs are the best in their own category.

In certain part of the world, smooth roads are luxury. This is why Land Cruiser, LX, Prado, GX and other Toyota SUV models dominate.

mikeavelli

Reactions

I've actually been in the Prado overseas and gasp it's not a rebadge since the interiors are totally different. The body is the same.

The LX and LC are also different inside and out. This was not the case 15 years ago.

D

DDas

It's so confusing to me to be honest. The updated GX did very well and boosted sales a lot. The LX may not do well but probably because it is on a what 7+ year design? And what happen to the updated LX coming this year we heard about two months ago (https://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/02/05/updated-lexus-lx-coming-this-year/). The GX may become a three row crossover or be replaced by one still, or be kept as is. I really don't want to see them go especially the LX.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
The GX is doing VERY well since the facelift, but when the TX arrives, its sales will be cut in half.

Lexus needs a high-end SUV, so the LX will stay long-term.
2017 will be the last year for the GX.
BD

Reactions
I say lexus sells it like this:
a crossover below the NX (to compete with the gla, and the X1), NX, RX, TX, & LX.

I see the LX as a must for lexus. It's something lexus has to be able to compete with he QX80 escalade and the GL or GLS and the Range Rover. But the only way the LX can stay is that if it has a MAJOR update inside and out. A new engine starting with the diesel, then a v6, and for the top of the line put a new/or revised v8 in the LX.

I know this is a long shot but lexus should make an LX F to be able to compete and expand the F brand itself to not just sedans but to SUVs as well.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions

I've actually been in the Prado overseas and gasp it's not a rebadge since the interiors are totally different. The body is the same.

The LX and LC are also different inside and out. This was not the case 15 years ago.
Lets be honest here, they are basically the same with just some tweaks here and there to disguise it. Its not the same as the RX and HL for example where they look completely different inside and out.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I like the GX since the Spindle refresh but I'm ok for it to go replaced by the TX. Keep the LX though.

Reactions: RAL

RAL

Reactions
I like the GX since the Spindle refresh but I'm ok for it to go replaced by the TX. Keep the LX though.
I think you are exactly right. To have both the GX and TX would seem to me to be somewhat redundant . . . as long as there will be a totally redesigned LX to be the king of the hill, both figuratively and literally! ;) Remember the commercial of an LX climbing the side of a skyscraper!

Last edited:

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
I say lexus sells it like this:
a crossover below the NX (to compete with the gla, and the X1), NX, RX, TX, & LX.

I see the LX as a must for lexus. It's something lexus has to be able to compete with he QX80 escalade and the GL or GLS and the Range Rover. But the only way the LX can stay is that if it has a MAJOR update inside and out. A new engine starting with the diesel, then a v6, and for the top of the line put a new/or revised v8 in the LX.

I know this is a long shot but lexus should make an LX F to be able to compete and expand the F brand itself to not just sedans but to SUVs as well.
Templin and others for Lexus said they won't go low and sell on price like the Germans, so I don't see a X1 competitor.

The Germans NEED to do that to increase sales, and cover CAFE considerations with the government. Lexus sells plenty of hybrids to get fleet MPG average up, so they don't have to fight for scraps at the bottom of the market. And that would undermine the very successful NX.

Lexus wants to start at $35k, and build their brand strength from above the Germans. This is the best strategy long-term. They are selling right with the germans with higher brand starting prices, fewer stores and fewer incentives.

There is nothing below the IS/NX that Lexus needs, or wants.

The Germans aren't greedy. They're just needy!
BD

Reactions
Templin and others for Lexus said they won't go low and sell on price like the Germans, so I don't see a X1 competitor.

The Germans NEED to do that to increase sales, and cover CAFE considerations with the government. Lexus sells plenty of hybrids to get fleet MPG average up, so they don't have to fight for scraps at the bottom of the market. And that would undermine the very successful NX.

Lexus wants to start at $35k, and build their brand strength from above the Germans. This is the best strategy long-term. They are selling right with the germans with higher brand starting prices, fewer stores and fewer incentives.

There is nothing below the IS/NX that Lexus needs, or wants.

The Germans aren't greedy. They're just needy!
BD

There is rumors about lexus and toyota creating a model below the RAV4/ the NX.