Motor Trend: Lexus LC 500 & LC 500h Instrumented Test

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-05-02-lexus-lc-500-lc-500h.jpg

When it comes to the new Lexus flagship coupe, the numbers don't really matter.
View the original article post

mikeavelli

Reactions
Wow, that was one of the best written articles I've seen. Very fair, very detailed and gives a great picture of the LC.

The comparison to the LS hit home lol
The LC 500’s 4,370-pound and LC 500h’s 4,471-pound curb weights (as-tested) certainly play a part. The last Lexus LS 460 sedan tipped our 4-corner scales at 4,466 pounds.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I agree, this is a very thorough, detailed, fair and Strong review. It confirms what I think anyway. The LC is clearly a unique car that will be thrilling to drive.

I don't care at all that it takes 4.8 s rather than 4.4 s to go from 0-60. The difference between 0 - 60 mph in 4.4 versus 4.8 is meaningless to me. I did not order the car for the 0 - 60 stats or the torque for that matter. The car's stats are extremely good in my book. I ordered the car because of the reviews of the quality and exciting nature of the ride, the high end luxury, its incredibly stunning looks, and the uniqueness of the car. The sound is awesome as well.

as for the Remote Touch Interface criticism, we've all heard that before. However, I think they over-stated the problem. Once you get used to the interface and, perhaps, turn down the sensitivity of the touch pad, it is manageable. I am looking forward to see how they have improved the voice activated controls though.

Pretty soon there will be no new NA engine cars as well. The LC is unique in that way too. I like that Lexus stuck with that engine for now. The LC-F should be awesome though. Looking forward to seeing that as well.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
There are two big trends happening right now in the market (IMO):

- People want cars that look sporty, fast and unique but drive somewhat more calmly.
- People want CUVs that look like tough, body on frame SUVs.

Lexus capitalized on #1 in a big way. I think one thing Lexus does better than many other brands is builds cars that truly suit people's everyday lives and ownership habits. They do a nice job of building vehicles that surprise in the long term instead of disappoint, or that you might grow tired of.

0-60 in 4.8 vs 4.4 is imperceptible in the real world. Smooth, composed driving manners are easier to live with every day than a jarring ride that results from stiff suspension and oversize wheels and small tires. You see where I'm going.

The LC looks the part, and really is 8/10ths "the part." The remaining 2/10ths won't be attainable for the average consumer on every day roads, so a car that looks drop dead gorgeous, sounds downright mean, drives composed and sure-footed, and feels second to none in terms of assembly and quality is spot on the money. Lexus nailed it.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
There are two big trends happening right now in the market (IMO):

- People want cars that look sporty, fast and unique but drive somewhat more calmly.
- People want CUVs that look like tough, body on frame SUVs.

Lexus capitalized on #1 in a big way. I think one thing Lexus does better than many other brands is builds cars that truly suit people's everyday lives and ownership habits. They do a nice job of building vehicles that surprise in the long term instead of disappoint, or that you might grow tired of.

0-60 in 4.8 vs 4.4 is imperceptible in the real world. Smooth, composed driving manners are easier to live with every day than a jarring ride that results from stiff suspension and oversize wheels and small tires. You see where I'm going.

The LC looks the part, and really is 8/10ths "the part." The remaining 2/10ths won't be attainable for the average consumer on every day roads, so a car that looks drop dead gorgeous, sounds downright mean, drives composed and sure-footed, and feels second to none in terms of assembly and quality is spot on the money. Lexus nailed it.

Well said, Gecko!!!

BTW: I do plan on taking it to a track to get a little of the last 2 10ths. I am less interested in a 0 - 60 test and more interested in driving around a track and getting the most out of the handling / ride experience. However, I have to stop thinking about it and get back to work!!

mikeavelli

Reactions
From what I've gathered I think its going to sell on looks alone. Totally unbiased, it makes everything else in this class look old. The LC looks exotic. Some might think its too much but I think for 100k this is what people want.

Now there are those that will want more power, the German turbos on top their V-8s are ridiculously swift and you can tune them. The sad part about the LC is it will be pretty impossible to tune. The same thing with exhausts and intakes.

What isn't great is right now the car market is trending down so it isn't launching in the best sales climate.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Looks will definitely sell this car, but also the combination of nice handling, great sound, and incredible interior look and luxury comfort will sell it as well.

So, will Lexus change their 0-60 number (4.4s) on their website for LC specs, will they contest MT's numbers? or just ignore the discrepancy? (I wonder how many LC prospective buyers follow / read MT)

Reactions
The LC 500h actually outperformed the GS 450h, which is 359 pounds lighter than the LC. It might be the 10 speed that boosted the gap, but that also suggests that the GS 450h has the lesser tranny. I'm pretty sure that the LC 500 and LC 500h may achieve faster times, but the experience is what really matters. According to the article, the LC 500 felt much lighter than it was, probably because the power-to-weight ratio matched the more powerful and quicker SL550; a car with 429 horsepower. A fast grand tourer. I like that.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I don't understand why everyone compares this to the two-seater SL. The S-Class Coupe is much more of a competitor. Everyone complains about the numbers this car puts down but not the S550 which has very similar straight-line performance.

RAL

Reactions
Lexus' 'YET' philosophy ... designing vehicles that are meant to be ... Luxurious YET Sporty ... or ... Sporty YET Luxurious
It's about giving Lexus drivers cutting-edge design and exceptional performance (in a daily driver) along with the uncompromising luxury and reliability they expect.
The new LC and LS set this new high bar ... to which Lexus will raise the entire fleet.

Reactions
i seen full episode review Lexus LC .

I agree with everything they said >>> it a great or best Lexus Flagship Luxury GT Coupe and it not a sportcar!!!

but i always want to see LC F , it need more Power tomake a fun "GT Car" Engine need more POWER , Transmission need more AGRESSIVE

if LC F come with V10+Hybrid System it 'll be so special car , OK V8 is so great but Lexus V10 is so insane !

-----------------------------------------

i seen Jason Camisa Review in MT, FERRARI GTC4LUSSO ,GT Car With Hi Revving NA is SO COOL!!!!!

Ferrari put ENZO Engine in the GT Car and it 's a great result , if lexus put V10 to production again ok it not cheap but it will be a Truly Special Car

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
i seen full episode review Lexus LC .

but i always want to see LC F , it need more Power tomake a fun "GT Car" Engine need more POWER , Transmission need more AGRESSIVE

The Lexus LC500 will be a very fun GT to drive as it is. Sure a V10 or a TT V8 will make it faster, but faster is not essential for "more fun." It goes very fast already and it corners/handles extremely well and will be exceptionally fun to drive. I definitely want to see the LC F eventually, but the LC already is enough car (for me at least). Note: the LC F will be a lot more expensive and if you put a V10 in the LC it would increase cost substantially as well. I like the NA engine and that is part of the Lexus performance experience for now and, I like that part. For me, Lexus has a very bright and interesting future across the board of their lineup.

Reactions
If
I don't understand why everyone compares this to the two-seater SL. The S-Class Coupe is much more of a competitor. Everyone complains about the numbers this car puts down but not the S550 which has very similar straight-line performance.
If you read the entire article, you will see that Motor trend compared it the Mercedes SL550 and the BMW 650i, cars of comparable price and mission that the Lexus LC straddles. The S-class coupe starts at around $120,000 dollars and is much larger than the Lexus. There's no competition here, the Lexus LC is 30K cheaper and is overall the better car. Just restating what Motor trend said.

Reactions
The LC is rather a Japanese Aston Martin. It's plenty quick, but is easy to live with every day and is for those who enjoy driving. That's just one way to put it.

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
I don't know...beyond nice camera work and excellent sound it really was the usual automotive journalism nonsense where the reporter puts Lexus "on trial" for being bland/lacking identity/lacking character/lacking heritage/being derivative/being too different from the Germans and so on. Then the reporter alternates between being the prosecution and the defense and finally judge and jury,usually handing out a suspended sentence of essentially "not bad for a non-German car brand". I continue to not get along with the automotive press...