2018 Lexus LS 500h Hybrid to Debut at Geneva Motor Show

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
So we have a Ls500 and LS500h what will the f be labeled? LSF or will they put numbers behind it? So far all F cars have not had any numbers behind the F.

There's no reason for them to start adding numbers now. They've decided a long time ago on the naming convention.

F-Sport for the normal vehicles with performance parts.

A single F for the their performance range of vehicles.

If they wanted to change it, they would have done so with the RC and the GS. Since they haven't I can't see them suddenly start with the LS or the LC.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I'm curious if F-Sport models are coming for the LC and LS...it sounds like they are not coming.

The more I think about it, the more excited I am about the LSh over the ICE model.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm curious if F-Sport models are coming for the LC and LS...it sounds like they are not coming.

The more I think about it, the more excited I am about the LSh over the ICE model.

That's a really good question. I highly doubt it. It wouldn't work either.

If you can afford an LS and you wanted the looks and the performance, you would get yourself an LS F.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
That's a really good question. I highly doubt it. It wouldn't work either.

If you can afford an LS and you wanted the looks and the performance, you would get yourself an LS F.
No. The F-Sport has never been about performance. It's for people who just want sporty looks and handling but not performance.

I think an F-Sport version won't come to the LC and the LS because:
1. Looks-wise, what immediately sets the F-Sport apart from the regular versions have always been that the regular versions have horizontal slats in the grilles, while the F-Sport versions have mesh grilles. Now that the regular LC and LS have mesh grilles to begin with, there's no more easily noticeable feature to tell the F-Sport apart. The regular LC and LS also both look sporty and menacing just like an F-Sport should already--the regular 5LS actually looks way more menacing than the 4LS Sport IMHO.
2. Handling-wise, the all-new GA-L platform is so rigid and sporty to begin with, it makes the "regular" LC and LS handle so well that there's no point of a sport package. Heck, they both even come with rear-wheel steering standard! The 4LS didn't handle nearly as well, so the Sport version (short of calling it the F-Sport) did make a meaningful difference to those who care.

In short, there's absolutely no point of an F-Sport version for either the LC or the LS when the regular versions of both already look and handle the part.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
prices.jpg

This is a clue that there will not be anything named F sport at least for the LS & LC

Sport pack and sport pack+

mikeavelli

Reactions
No. The F-Sport has never been about performance. It's for people who just want sporty looks and handling but not performance.

I think an F-Sport version won't come to the LC and the LS because:
1. Looks-wise, what immediately sets the F-Sport apart from the regular versions have always been that the regular versions have horizontal slats in the grilles, while the F-Sport versions have mesh grilles. Now that the regular LC and LS have mesh grilles to begin with, there's no more easily noticeable feature to tell the F-Sport apart. The regular LC and LS also both look sporty and menacing just like an F-Sport should already--the regular 5LS actually looks way more menacing than the 4LS Sport IMHO.
2. Handling-wise, the all-new GA-L platform is so rigid and sporty to begin with, it makes the "regular" LC and LS handle so well that there's no point of a sport package. Heck, they both even come with rear-wheel steering standard! The 4LS didn't handle nearly as well, so the Sport version (short of calling it the F-Sport) did make a meaningful difference to those who care.

In short, there's absolutely no point of an F-Sport version for either the LC or the LS when the regular versions of both already look and handle the part.

I disagree with the first sentence. The F-Sport while probably mainly appealing to people for the visual cues, is a performance package even without more power. As an exmaple,my LS F-Sport has these compared to regular models and it makes a big difference
-19" BBS forged allows
-Brembo Brakes
-Limited Slip Differential
-Rev Matching Automatic from the IS F
-Sportier and Lower Supension with Air
-Paddle Shifters (no other LS has paddle shifters
-Sportier seats (not that they hold you in the seat in corners but better than stock)

I do agree with the latter part of your post that the LC/LC already have F-Sport visual cues and already drive great (well we know the LC does). Still though I think its a mistake to let this package go. I would not have bought my LS if no F-Sport was offered. Not everyone can or will jump to a LS F. Then it looks weird only half the cars offer it

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
I disagree with the first sentence. The F-Sport while probably mainly appealing to people for the visual cues, is a performance package even without more power. As an exmaple,my LS F-Sport has these compared to regular models and it makes a big difference
-19" BBS forged allows
-Brembo Brakes
-Limited Slip Differential
-Rev Matching Automatic from the IS F
-Sportier and Lower Supension with Air
-Paddle Shifters (no other LS has paddle shifters
-Sportier seats (not that they hold you in the seat in corners but better than stock)
True. Indeed performance isn't just about power, and sportier seats are an important part of the sporty driving experience too. The LC and 5LS do come with paddle shifters standard though, and the standard 20" wheels on the LC and the standard 19" wheels on the LS do look very sporty already. Rev-matching is also built into the new 10-speed auto. I guess that's why the sporty upgrades are now just bundled as an optional package as maiaramdan posted, since there won't be as many upgrades as before to justify giving it a different model name.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
I disagree with the first sentence. The F-Sport while probably mainly appealing to people for the visual cues, is a performance package even without more power.

Well said. Performance isn't all about power.

To expand on maiaramdan's post ...

Standard LC
Vehicle features
  • Lexus Safety System+ consisting of: Adaptive Cruise Control, Pre Crash Safety, Lane Keep Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition, Sway Warning System, Auto High Beam
  • Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS)
  • Semi-Aniline Leather upholstery
  • Heated and ventilated front seats
  • Lexus Premium Navigation with 10.3" display, 12 speakers, 1x DVD and remote touch controller
  • Glass roof with sunshade
Sport Pack
Vehicle features

• Sport Seats - Alcantara upholstery with leather bolsters
  • 21" forged alloy wheels (run flat tyres, front: 245/40 & rear: 275/35)
  • Carbon fibre roof
Sport+ Pack
Vehicle features
  • Four wheel active steering
  • Torsen Limited Slip Differential
  • Carbon fibre scuff plates
  • Carbon fibre roof
  • Retractable rear spoiler

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions

Standard LC
Vehicle features
  • Lexus Safety System+ consisting of: Adaptive Cruise Control, Pre Crash Safety, Lane Keep Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition, Sway Warning System, Auto High Beam
  • Lexus Premium Navigation with 10.3" display, 12 speakers, 1x DVD and remote touch controller
Sport Pack
Vehicle features

• Carbon fibre roof
Sport+ Pack
Vehicle features
  • Carbon fibre roof

But since this is about the LS ... I can't see many of those parts going into the LS.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
I disagree with the first sentence. The F-Sport while probably mainly appealing to people for the visual cues, is a performance package even without more power.

Standard LC
Vehicle features
Sport Pack
Vehicle features

• Carbon fibre roof
Sport+ Pack
Vehicle features
  • Carbon fibre roof

But since this is about the LS ... I can't see many of those parts going into the LS.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly as LS is just long 4 doors LC , so I think the same will happen with the LS

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Honestly as LS is just long 4 doors LC , so I think the same will happen with the LS

Sport Pack
Vehicle features
  • Carbon fibre roof
Sport+ Pack
Vehicle features
  • Carbon fibre roof

You think so? The Carbon Fibre roof and the retractable rear spoiler? That would definitely be a world first .. and no, we're not comparing the LS to the Panamera unless that's the plan for the LS and that would be F'ing awesome lol.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Yes
That's exactly what I want to say
You may see the carbon fiber roof in near selling time frame

And by carmaker1 words
There maybe another car built on the LF-FC to go with the Maybach, Bentley and others

This is for me means that the LS is for sport

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Yes
That's exactly what I want to say
You may see the carbon fiber roof in near selling time frame

And by carmaker1 words
There maybe another car built on the LF-FC to go with the Maybach, Bentley and others

This is for me means that the LS is for sport

Highly doubt it. When have you seen the S class or the 7 series or the XJ or the A8 go that crazy?

There will be an LS, an LS Sport Pack and maybe an LS Bespoke model in the future to compete with the Mayback and the likes.

LS is not for Sport unless you meant something else and I misunderstood you.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
The thing is, in the LC 500h Multi-Stage Hybrid, it still had a double exhaust (and two fake ones too). I can't tell if the picture of the LS 500h Multi-Stage Hybrid has two real exhausts like the LC 500h did, or if they are fake double exhausts like the ones found in the RX and a single exhaust hidden behind it.

Den

Fan
Reactions
Today I was at my local dealer. Talked with the sales manager and she told me in confidence that the LS will be very interesting options for the interior trim such as items of glass and rare wood. She even showed me some pictures. The glass elements look just incredible :thumbsup:I'll try to beg her several photos of these elements

mikeavelli

Reactions
Today I was at my local dealer. Talked with the sales manager and she told me in confidence that the LS will be very interesting options for the interior trim such as items of glass and rare wood. She even showed me some pictures. The glass elements look just incredible :thumbsup:I'll try to beg her several photos of these elements

Nice! I heard the glass didn't make it to production so something must have changed. Let's just say my favorite color made it too :)

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
The thing is, in the LC 500h Multi-Stage Hybrid, it still had a double exhaust (and two fake ones too). I can't tell if the picture of the LS 500h Multi-Stage Hybrid has two real exhausts like the LC 500h did, or if they are fake double exhausts like the ones found in the RX and a single exhaust hidden behind it.
Never mind, saw the LC 500h in person yesterday at CIAS, and even the hybrid has quad exhausts but it is made to look like only two since I guess since it is not an F car. (But then, I don't see the point of the fake two exhausts to make it look like it has quad pipes even though it does have quad pipes)

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Never mind, saw the LC 500h in person yesterday at CIAS, and even the hybrid has quad exhausts but it is made to look like only two since I guess since it is not an F car. (But then, I don't see the point of the fake two exhausts to make it look like it has quad pipes even though it does have quad pipes)

Not quite sure I understand what you're saying ... lol