2018 Lexus LS 500h Hybrid to Debut at Geneva Motor Show

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-02-14-lexus-ls-500h-full-thumb.jpg

Expect the LS hybrid to share the LC 500h powertrain.
View the original article post

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
Just watch. It will be a twin turbo I4 "multi-stage" hybrid. That cabin will be roaring with rancorous noises as the engine struggles. :sob::sob::sob:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
That black colour with the chrome trim looks very luxurious and classy. Gives a very limousine-like look.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Ah, finally. It is rather early, seeing as Geneva isn't for a few more weeks.

Funny thing about it is that I was shown this LS500h in the UK a few months ago, hoping that the LS500 would be a petrol V8. My hosts were adamant, yet still reserved in telling me that to their knowledge there was no LS350 as the TTV6 alternative and it would be designated LS500, plus that I would not be allowed to disclose that information (NDA) until January without fear of prosecution. I ignored them of course and learned the hard way last month, like all of us did. I do hope an LS-F trademark is coming like LC-F, as that is a definite yes from what I heard too.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
What I didn't understand yet , is that they already take the LC chassis and the LC hybrid engine, so why they didn't take the V8-5.0L engine with it also

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Just watch. It will be a twin turbo I4 "multi-stage" hybrid. That cabin will be roaring with rancorous noises as the engine struggles. :sob::sob::sob:

A twin turbo I4 with plug-in hybrid is not impossible, given the 7 Series plug-in version, which is better at its task than the S Class plug-in. But we'll soon find out.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
I'm willing to bet on the drivetrain being the same as LC500h given that the nomeclature is reduced from 600h to 500h, and that the 3.5 hybrid system in the LC500h is completely new with the 4 speed auto. Reviews of the LC500h indicate that the 3.5 hybrid has enough pickup, but they prefer the song from the V8 of the LC500.

Reactions
Historically speaking, the Hybrid LS has always been more powerful (bigger engine, with more horsepower & torque) than the non-hybrid LS, and was always positioned as the top-of-the-line LS, as it was exclusively available in long-wheelbase and included options not available on the non-hybrid LS, and was the most expensive LS you can get.

With the 2018 LS the roles are somewhat reversed (pricing aside as it is currently not available). The LS 500h is less powerful than the LS 500. Does this mean the LS 500 is the halo LS (apart from the rumored LS F of course)?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Historically speaking, the Hybrid LS has always been more powerful (bigger engine, with more horsepower & torque) than the non-hybrid LS, and was always positioned as the top-of-the-line LS, as it was exclusively available in long-wheelbase and included options not available on the non-hybrid LS, and was the most expensive LS you can get.

With the 2018 LS the roles are somewhat reversed (pricing aside as it is currently not available). The LS 500h is less powerful than the LS 500. Does this mean the LS 500 is the halo LS (apart from the rumored LS F of course)?

I think we are seeing hybrid power become more of a mainstream option, just as it has become for NX, RX, RC, IS, ES, LC, etc. This is a smart move by Lexus. LS F will surely be the halo vehicle.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions

No. The fact that the new LS hybrid is named with the same numeric designation as the LS500 means they're positioned at the same level, marketing-wise, just like the LC500 and the LC500h--both are "entry"-level, pending the arrival of the F version. Pricing-wise, the LC500h is more expensive than the LC500, and the same will likely be true with the LS500h and LS500, so in that sense one can probably say the gasoline versions remain the "entry"-level models.

Last edited:

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
500h in LS is all about fuel efficiency and diesel countering in EU and other diesel strongholds. This goes head to head with 740d

mikeavelli

Reactions
The initial concept of the LS 600h was a hit, they initally sold every one and it got outdated and became special order only. However, let us not forget when it debuted it was a technological marvel. That said it seems Lexus feels it makes more sense this time to aim for fuel efficiency instead of more power, an abrupt turn. I do think it will work and again a LS 500 getting (my guess) 30 MPG average is hugely appealing to people, especially if it keeps an 18-20 gallon or so tank. If performance is like the LC 500h, which is nearly on par with the V-8 its a true win win.

I do like this change in execution. For me since the LS 500 is a ttV-6 and not a V-8, I would get the 500h without question.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
So we have a Ls500 and LS500h what will the f be labeled? LSF or will they put numbers behind it? So far all F cars have not had any numbers behind the F.