Big Changes Coming to Lexus Vehicle Development

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-03-26-lexus-ct-manufacturing-process-400x200.jpg

Toyota announced a massive restructuring of its vehicle manufacturing strategy today as part of the company's switch to a new modular development platform.
View the original article post

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
Toyota has done an amazing job with platform sharing while differentiating its products. To take on Audi and Jaguar, Lexus should try incorporating carbon fiber for easy to manufacture and invulnerable body parts, even on the lower-end models! Blank buttons for base models should at least be solved with a nonexistent button rather than a fake one! Besides the LS, Lexus should also produce another model with an entirely clean sheet. I am certain that hybrids can be packaged even better. This model does not have to be a sedan or hatch. It can even be an SUV!

Osu

Reactions
Slightly concerned about this sentence: "in a major change, Toyota also will use more components designed, engineered and manufactured to global standards instead of proprietary Toyota specifications". I fear that this will lead to a downgrade in quality.

Anyways, this was just a matter of time. Even small brands such as Volvo Cars has its SPA technology to propel them forwards. The major downside with it is when something does occur it will take a certain amount of time to sort out. Apply that to Toyota and its reputation will be under consideration. Such a thing must be thwarted at any cost.

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
Slightly concerned about this sentence: "in a major change, Toyota also will use more components designed, engineered and manufactured to global standards instead of proprietary Toyota specifications". I fear that this will lead to a downgrade in quality.

Anyways, this was just a matter of time. Even small brands such as Volvo Cars has its SPA technology to propel them forwards. The major downside with it is when something does occur it will take a certain amount of time to sort out. Apply that to Toyota and its reputation will be under consideration. Such a thing must be thwarted at any cost.
The Toyota Production System is a bit slow to react to problems that are likely shared with many models, but I feel that it is easily solvable; I am pretty sure Toyota already did. Sharing parts is supposed to help solve problems more quickly. Of course, should there be a problem, the scale would be tremendous, and news channels love another fear mongering report.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
At the end of the day, from a consumer standpoint, it's the product (and price) that count and if this new manufacturing process results in improved quality (and implied reliability), fuel economy, and tech, it's a win for us!

Did anyone catch the note about the the C-segment cars debuting later this year, with the mention of the CT alongside the Prius (and Corolla)? Can we be possibly looking at the next gen CT as early as MY 2016??? That makes the current gen on a 5-year run which is typically 1 year short of the Lexus minimum run, so I'm skeptical but wishful.

Ray99

Founding Member
Reactions
Mazda has adopted this strategy and it delivers good result. Skyactive is the code name for Mazda. All its lineup receive improved transmissions, better body structure (lighter yet stronger), impressive exterior design, and better engine performance which leads to improved fuel mileage. Mazda sales worldwide hit all time record.

The same thing could happen to Toyota and Lexus. With TNGA, we could expect better products from Toyota corp.

Next week, All new RX will be announced. Could RX be the first Lexus model that adopts TNGA? If RX turns out not to be the first TNGA, the next generation LS will certainly take the first spot. That's just my opinion.

Reactions
Known is (thejetengine),,,,,Hello Krew, I want to congratulate you on the amazing job you have done with the website..
I just want to mention that all this new hybrid tech and overall new tech is thanks to the ongoing WEC lmp1 program, from this year and on we are going to start seeing all of this new tech trickle down to the new Toyotas and Lexus model,, so everyone should be very exited and supportive of the Toyota Ts040 program, specially lexus fans, since lexus has all the sports (racecar LFA,RC F,LF C,etc) at the moment.

RAL

Reactions
ToyotaTs040Lpm1, I see you are a new member . . . and would like to say: "Welcome" to our community! You might want to add a thread to our 'Member Introductions' forum and introduce yourself to everyone. Glad to have you!

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
Even though that there has been an overall increase around the world in sales of hybrid cars here in Europe especially in Czech Republic it is not considered to be so effective as in other countries. For example from my personal experience husband of my sister really likes Mercedes and he went to try out the new S-class. He aked them about the hybrid engine and they said that it is not the engine he would like to have in his future car. I am not really suprised with this since Mercedes does not really know how to make hybrids compared to Lexus.

Onelog

Follower
Reactions
At the end of the day, from a consumer standpoint, it's the product (and price) that count and if this new manufacturing process results in improved quality (and implied reliability), fuel economy, and tech, it's a win for us!

Did anyone catch the note about the the C-segment cars debuting later this year, with the mention of the CT alongside the Prius (and Corolla)? Can we be possibly looking at the next gen CT as early as MY 2016??? That makes the current gen on a 5-year run which is typically 1 year short of the Lexus minimum run, so I'm skeptical but wishful.
haha, as a CT owner who has a lease ending in July, that definitely caught my attention! :) Honestly though, from what little "insider" knowledge I get working for a dealership(which really isn't all that much, believe me), I haven't seen the CT on any radar for this year. I'm guessing the MY16 Prius will debut at the end of this year, and Lexus will play it cautious as they usually do, testing out all the new tech and engine specs in that before it ends up in the CT, likely MY17. The second half of this year for Lexus is going to be riding the turbo wave, with the IS, GS, and RC somehow coming to the dealerships with the new drivetrain(I never got a timeline on that). Plus the refreshes(ES-Aug, LX-Sept, RX-Oct, GS-Nov), I just don't see where they would fit a major CT refresh in there too.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I am no engineer but I do recall reading an article that Toyota had a breakthrough with "thermal efficiency" and thus their new engines would be much more efficient. Reading the article makes me feel it is all related.

Known is (thejetengine),,,,,Hello Krew, I want to congratulate you on the amazing job you have done with the website..
I just want to mention that all this new hybrid tech and overall new tech is thanks to the ongoing WEC lmp1 program, from this year and on we are going to start seeing all of this new tech trickle down to the new Toyotas and Lexus model,, so everyone should be very exited and supportive of the Toyota Ts040 program, specially lexus fans, since lexus has all the sports (racecar LFA,RC F,LF C,etc) at the moment.

This is awesome news!! Thank you.

Reactions: CIF

Osu

Reactions
As the industry is somewhat conservative, in Scandinavia, Lexus is considered as an overpriced Toyota. Even the car magz contribute to his belief. My empirical studies shows the same, at least in the western part of the world. What kind of marketing value does TNGA add to the corporation and to the Lexus brand?

I mean, even now when you look at an A3, Golf, Seat Leon and Skoda Fabia they're all basically the same. However, the A3 has a higher brand value. I am not too sure that the same will apply to Lexus as far as attracting new costumers from, say, other german brands (Opel not included). At the same time, employing such a strategy is nowadays of great importance for survival.

Does anyone else share this concern?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
To take on Audi and Jaguar, Lexus should try incorporating carbon fiber for easy to manufacture and invulnerable body parts, even on the lower-end models!

Have to agree with you, not making more use of carbon fiber in all the Lexus performance models feels like a missed opportunity to me. All the hype built around the LFA and the giant custom loom, it would have been great to see some high-priced but functional CFRP parts for the IS & GS.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

It's all speculation, but I have to think Toyota will give the Prius a healthy headstart before introducing the other C-segment models. I also don't see Lexus cutting the CT lifecycle, especially with every other model going well past six years.

(Plus I don't want my CT to be dated so soon after getting it! Haha.)

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Next week, All new RX will be announced. Could RX be the first Lexus model that adopts TNGA? If RX turns out not to be the first TNGA, the next generation LS will certainly take the first spot. That's just my opinion

From the article, it doesn't look like it -- the Prius/Corolla/CT will be the first wave for the new modular platform.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

It's greedy, but I really wish the the TS040 had been branded a Lexus and not a Toyota. Would have been a huge boost to the performance brand.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

Yes, that quote from the article does concern me too. One big reason why I like Toyota/Lexus products is specifically because of their proprietary specifications, which leads to such stellar quality and reliability. I hope that quote is simply out of context, and I hope that Toyota and Lexus aren't backing away from their quality traditions.