2018 BMW 5-Series & M5

Reactions
landscape-1476303311-5er-lede.jpg

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a31146/2018-bmw-5-series-first-look/
Shrink down a 7-Series, install BMW's newest engines and you get a new 5er.

We've seen prototypes running around the Nurburgring for a few months, and even got a glimpse of it this morning, but now, officially, we have the low-down on the 2018 BMW 5-Series. Visually it looks somewhat like the last-generation 5-Series (and a lot like the new 7-Series), but this is an all-new car. Essentially, BMW's taken the tech from the 7-Series and paired it with the new engines that made their debut in last year's facelifted 3-Series.

gallery-1476305742-5er-rear.jpg

For the U.S. launch, BMW will offer two engines for the 5-Series, a 2.0-liter four-cylinder in the 530i, and a 3.0-liter inline-six in the 540i. All-wheel-drive is optional with either engine, but unsurprisingly, a manual transmission won't be available. BMW also released pictures of a model wearing an M550i badge, and we assume this will receive some sort of V8.

gallery-1476305829-5er-side.jpg

The new 5-Series rides on a slightly longer wheelbase than its predecessor but front and rear track lengths remain the same. BMW says the chassis is lighter and stiffer than before, and interestingly, will offer an anti-roll system that uses electric motors, rather than hydraulics. Four-wheel steering is optional on both rear- and all-wheel-drive models.

gallery-1476306077-5er-again.jpg

BMW says the new 5-Series weighs up to 137 lbs less than its predecessor, thanks to a greater use of aluminum, high-strength steel and magnesium.

gallery-1476306257-p90237208-highres.jpg

Like the new 7-Series, the 5-Series gets all sorts of semi-autonomous features and futuristic tech in the interior. There's active cruise control, lane departure warnings, lane keep assist, traffic jam assist, and a system that can autonomously perform evasive maneuvers at speeds of up to 100 mph. The interior gets the same gesture controls as the 7-Series and a remote-control parking feature.

gallery-1476306298-p90237203-highres.jpg

The 5-Series faces stiff competition in the new Mercedes E-Class, Volvo S90, Jaguar XF, and others. All the tech in the 7-Series is quite nifty, and we're big fans of BMW's new engines, especially the 3.0-liter six in the 340i. Is it a recipe for success? We'll find out when we drive it.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I have always been a 5 Series fan (aside from maybe the E60) and I really want to like this car, but I don't much at first glance.

BMW gets a lot of flack for their "same sausage, different lengths" design philosophy and this new 5er just looks like a 7 series body with a 3 series front and rear grafted on... it doesn't seem unique to me at all. I really dislike the unnecessary vent cover thats just after the front wheels, and for some reason, the headlights look very bug-eyed to me.

Interesting, but I'm not surprised that the V8 models seem to be dropped (aside from M5). Lexus and Audi did it first, Mercedes and BMW seem to be the latest ones to follow.

I was hoping for a little more weight loss than "up to 137lbs" with the Carbon Core construction. That still puts it around 4klbs, which is not terrible but not great for this segment either.

This entire segment has become so boring... GS refresh is "blah," XF redesign was a joke, E looks just like a shrunk down S Class, 5 Series now looks just like a 3 and 7, etc.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Edit: M550i X-Drive seems to be the dedicated V8 model under M5. Glad to see it as an option!

article said:
BMW will offer two engines for the 5-Series, a 2.0-liter four-cylinder in the 530i, and a 3.0-liter inline-six in the 540i.

Notice that the 530i is now a turbo 4 and the 540i a six. I can remember when the 530i had the 3.0L six and the 540i had a N/A 4.0L V8. Just one more example of classic engine downsizing and/or adding force-feed....and how the numbers in a BMW's designation once actually meant something. ;)

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The headlights look weird, and there's more surface area for air intakes than for the actual grille. I think they're trying to visually imply a large S-Class or Lexus-style grille with all that busywork, but to me it ruins the BMW-ness of the car.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm curious if the new 5 series will continue to dominate in its class, or will the E class be new class leader in sales...

mikeavelli

Reactions
I will always respect the 5 series but seeing it look barely changed again really makes it seem like the staid player of the class. Just 20 years ago as a teen I thought the 5 series was head and shoulders above everything else, the 1998 GS 300/400 changed that a bit and then the E55 but the manual and M5 always was the trump card.

Today, I just don't feel that same way about the 5. I'm sure it will be utterly fantastic but I guess feelings have changed for me...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
. Just 20 years ago as a teen I thought the 5 series was head and shoulders above everything else,

Well, in some ways, 20 years ago, from a chassis point of view, it was head and shoulders above its competition. I remember my first test-drive of a 540i (E39, I think) and was amazed at how the steering and handling felt. The Lexus GS, though, clearly had it beat for build-quality and refinement.;)

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Spied: F90 M5 interior - automatic transmission, red start button, startup video

attachment.php

attachment.php

mikeavelli

Reactions
Edit: M550i X-Drive seems to be the dedicated V8 model under M5. Glad to see it as an option!

I was playing around and built one... had no idea it is rated at 0-60 in 3.9 seconds....that is INSANE for a non M model....

mikeavelli

Reactions
Looks really butch compared to the current model, wow. Love the engine cover lol....

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Pretty much exactly what I expected. The AWD system on this car is really incredible... BMW deserves major kudos.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Pretty much exactly what I expected. The AWD system on this car is really incredible... BMW deserves major kudos.

I wish it stayed RWD :(.....

Makes me wonder will the next generation F models go AWD ala Germans

supra93

Expert
Reactions
ENGINE / EXHAUST
0-60 mph in 3.2 seconds
0-124 mph in 11.1 seconds
4.4-liter V8 engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology
600 hp from 5,700 to 6,600 rpm
553 lb-ft peak torque from 1,800 to 5,700 rpm
M Driver's Package hits 189 mph (155 mph standard)
Efficient, Sport and Sport Plus settings
Twin-scroll turbochargers with 24.46 psi boost
Maximum injetion pressure of 350 bar (up from 200 bar)
Oil pan with a small front sump and new indirect charge air cooling units which are 20% smaller than predecessor yet more effective.
Oil supply system uses fully variable, map-controlled pump
Optimized cross-bank exhaust manifolds
Exhaust reduced 11 lbs (by way of fitting a Helmholtz resonator)
Flap-controlled exhaust system controlled by selected driving mode
New M Sound Control button allows independent control of exhaust flaps

TRANSMISSION / M XDRIVE ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE
Front wheels only deliver power when rear wheels are not able to transmit any more torque to the road and additional tractive force is required.
Active M Differential
3 DSC Modes: 4WD, 4WD Sport, 2WD
4WD gives maximum traction while still allowing some slip at rear wheels
4WD Sport sends more torque to the rear and rear wheel slip is increased allowing for more oversteer and slip angle
2WD = pure rear-wheel-drive mode
8-speed M Steptronic transmission
Torque converter lock-up clutch fully engages, proving instantaneous response
Shift mapping controlled with Drivelogic rocker switch
In manual mode, no automatic upshifts at rev limiter

CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
M-specific Variable Damper Control (Comfort, Sport, Sport Plus modes)
M Servotronic steering (incl. three driving modes: Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus)
Chassis tuned to achieve neutral steering behavior with linear build-up of transverse loads across the full range of lateral acceleration
M-specific double-wishbone suspension front axle with increased track width (64.02 in. versus 63 in. on standard 5 Series)
M-specific five-link rear suspension
Firmer anti-roll bars and new toe links with stiffer rubber mounts
M5-specific elastomer bearings on rear axle mounts
Steel X-brace and an aluminum transverse strut at rear axle
Aluminum tower-to-bulkhead and tower-to-frontend strut braces

WHEELS / TIRES / BRAKES
275/40R 19 front and 285/40 R 19 rear tires are specially homologated for the new M5
Standard 19-inch five-double-spoke cast light-alloy wheels in polished Orbit Grey (front: 9.5x10, rear: 10.5x19)
Optional 20-inch seven-double-spoke wheels in black or polished black (front tires: 275/35 R 20, rear tires: 285/35 R 20)
Standard M compound brakes are significantly lighter than conventional cast iron units
15.55 x 1.41 in. perforated, inner-vented 6-piston fixed calipers
14.96 x 1.10 [in] perforated, inner-vented single-piston floating calipers
Optional M carbon ceramic brakes with front 6-piston fixed calipers (15.74 x 1.49 in.) and rear single-piston floating calipers (14.96 x 1.10 in.)
Ceramic brakes reduces unsprung weight by 50.7 lbs

EXTERIOR
Carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) roof
Aluminum hood
Rear diffuser, side skirts, the M rear apron, M exterior mirrors and M rear spoiler
Hexagonal central front air intake (incorporate oil cooler)

INTERIOR / TECHNOLOGY
Red starter button
Two red-painted M1 and M2 buttons next to gearshift paddles
M1/M2 buttons configurable to control M xDrive, DSC, engine, transmission, damper, steering and M view in HUD
Extended merino leather standard
Race style bucket M multifunction seats with illuminated M5 logo
Aluminum trim with carbon-structure
Standard with all driver assistance systems featured in standard 5 Series

LIMITED BMW M5 FIRST EDITION
"First Edition" special-edition model
Limited to 400 examples worldwide (50 for the U.S.)
Available starting Spring 2018
Frozen Dark Red Metallic paintwork
Individual high-gloss Shadow Line trim
Kidney grille, M gills and four tail pipes come in high-gloss black
20-inch seven-double-spoke light-alloy wheels in black
Piano Finish Black interior trims
Plaque on center console indicating the car's production number ("M5 First Edition 1/400")
Available with full-leather upholstery in Smoke White with red contrast stitching

http://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1414257

P90273025_highRes.jpg

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
:praise::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:

I have been waiting for this for a very long time. Was not happy with the F10 M5er at all. It was so bloated, heavy, un-atheletic, lazy. Ample power but the weight was a killer.