What's Up at Lexus Southern Area?

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
With some time to kill this afternoon, I decided to drive over to Lexus' Southern Area office in Alpharetta, GA to get a better picture of what the behind the scenes looks like. I expected to see a lot full of the latest products, mostly for press/fleet use. I was very surprised to see that this was not the case.
IMG_9995.JPG
For some odd reason (perhaps one of you can explain), there were approximately 7 or 8 pristine 2007-2009 era ES350's outside. What's even more strange-- not a single one of them had a complete interior. All seat bottoms were missing, most had missing interior trim pieces, rear deck lids, glove boxes, etc. All were rather well equipped models with navi etc, and all were in immaculate condition (like stepping back in time! No headlight fade or wear anywhere on the interior or exterior). One ES featured a warning label on the dash that read "WARNING: Knee Airbags Deactivated" Are these ES's possibly serving as test mules for the Takata Airbag recall? Training vehicles for technicians? So peculiar.
IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_9996.JPG IMG_9997.JPG IMG_9998.JPG IMG_9999.JPG

That being said, a handful of GS-F's (all white!) were on hand with distributor plates, likely press vehicles along with the small selection of IS's, GS's and RC's on hand. I was surprised to find may Lexus products from a decade ago as well- several 2007era LX's and GS's.

Anyone know anything about those ES's?

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hey Brooks, I've been there a couple of times this year, really amazing crew there at Lexus Southern. Those ES's are probably for training as MP stated, inside they have a huge air-conditioned garage used as training, including "chimney's so they can leave the cars on and let the exhaust out. The office area is not huge and many employees do quite a bit of traveling.

I agree the first time its not quite what you expect, rather low key and not a bunch of modified Lexus around :D

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Hey Brooks, I've been there a couple of times this year, really amazing crew there at Lexus Southern. Those ES's are probably for training as MP stated, inside they have a huge air-conditioned garage used as training, including "chimney's so they can leave the cars on and let the exhaust out. The office area is not huge and many employees do quite a bit of traveling.

I agree the first time its not quite what you expect, rather low key and not a bunch of modified Lexus around :D

Very much low key and not what I expected! Would love to get to know more of the behind the scenes work these guys do.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Very much low key and not what I expected! Would love to get to know more of the behind the scenes work these guys do.

Truly, it's not particularly interesting or glamorous. It's the southern area HQ for things like customer satisfaction, sales, parts, service, distribution and training.

About the most exciting thing that happens is when new models show up for training demos.

Other than that, it's fairly humble!

Reactions
giphy.gif

mikeavelli

Reactions
As an update we will have a meet here in the near future...maybe not in 2016 but spring 2017...or maybe around the LC launch :)