Rumor: Lexus Vehicles to Get Twin-Turbo V6 Engine Option?

mikeavelli

Reactions

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think there was already general agreement that the base engine for the 5LS would have to be a forced-induction V6, so this is just a little more fuel for that idea. And sharing with the Supra means all the inevitable tuning that goes on with the Supra will largely apply to the LS.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-05-04-lexus-gs-f-rendering-2018-thumb.jpg

Autoblog reports that the new Supra could share a TT V6 with the Lexus LS & Lexus GS.
View the original article post

C.Guenther

Founding Member
Reactions
Please no further turbo engine. We in Europe use mostly the hybridversions and this is really a disadvantage to have a turbo engine

Axel

Fan
Reactions
Please no further turbo engine. We in Europe use mostly the hybridversions and this is really a disadvantage to have a turbo engine
I'm also not intrested in turbos. Instead toyota shud be taking their hybrid tech to another level

LexusTechSA

Founding Member
Reactions
I wonder why the don't go the variable drive supercharger route. I will keep just about all the characteristics of a normally aspirated large capacity engine, from a much smaller engine.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
If the new Toyota 'Supra' was a Porsche Cayman rival ( that is compact-'lightweight'-no-frills-2-seat-fun-sportscar) a supercharged 2GR V6 would be all I want, no turbos.

If I want a heavy-duty-work-horse-expedition-capabable car like Land Cruiser or Hilux, then yes I want turbo, but diesel.

As for all-round-jack-of-all-trades daily car, for me ICE is (almost) dead and just a bad short term solution until EV is 100% viable. HEV and PHEV are better, especially with a higher displacement NA gazoline ICE, so for me turbo engine have no more place in most cars especially now in this shift from ICE to FCV/EV.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
it's something like taste
but if they wanna put Turbo , i prefer Turbo Hybrids
as Gecko said
the Electric power with the Absolute High starting Torque and the Turbos in the more RPM

i am astonished why they still didn't use the Capacitors even it works amazing at the Endurance Championship

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I thought the rumor was the new Supra was going to use an I6 engine? Too many rumors out there, let's see what the actual car brings.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I always heard that I6s were inefficient compared to V6s, and that they were difficult to package due to their length, but I wonder if modern tech couldnt make a whole new case for I6s. BMW does ok with them, but it seems they hit a wall without F/I.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
That is not a rumor. It is true and is a cost saving measure.
New I6's coming per AMG CEO (but not officially confirmed by Mercedes), it's more than cost-saving measure. Many engineering efficiencies to be gained including ultimate smoothness/refinement, lower weight, less mechanical complexity (no need for balance shafts and other band aids for smoothness), offset by packaging challenges due to extra engine length.

Last edited: