The Lexus ES Manufacturing Plant in Kentucky

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-04-11-lexus-es-inspection-1024x640.jpg

The ES manufacturing plant in Kentucky is the first time a Lexus has been manufactured in the USA.
View the original article post

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Great read, thanks for sharing Kevin! I would love an opportunity to tour a manufacturing facility one day. What really stood out to me was the attention to detail during the whole process and the pride in their work the team shows.

Reactions
I toured the Kentucky plant a couple months ago. It was pretty impressive but at that time, we werent allowed to see the Lexus plant. They told me that at some point in the future, they hoped to extend the tour to the Lexus plant in the near future.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Being in Canada, I believe you said you've toured the Cambridge plant...does their public tour only show you the Toyota lines?

The public tour in Cambridge does both sides, but quickly. There is a Lexus owners tour that's very cool, but it's only open to Canadians. That said, if people were interested, I'm sure something could be arranged.

RAL

Reactions
I've enjoyed touring the Corvette plant in Bowling Green ... The Georgetown plant is about 90 minutes away, but I'm not interested until the ES tour is available. You are a privileged man Kevin ... and deservedly so!

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
Awesome Krew! In one of my recent Lexus classes we discussed this plant with great enthusiasm. Our instructor, who also had an amazing slideshow of the Toyota museum in Japan, talked about the months and months of training required to meet the Japanese level of perfection. He said how the plant had been running at or near full speed for nearly 1 year prior to the official opening. And during that time the cars were coming off the line with varying failures. But the Japanese supervisors would not divulge where the car failed, the Kentucky workers had to determine where the failure was and then how to correct that problem. That level of persistence really comes through in the finished product. The current ESs are the best I've seen and I've been with Lexus for nearly a decade.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Great thread, Krew.:) That particular plant has long had a quality reputation, and proved, decades ago, that Camrys could be built here in the U.S. just as well as they could in Japanese plants.