Apple Talk

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I wouldn't recommend any smart watch, yet. The technology just isn't there yet. Better batteries, smaller and more efficient processors, memory, etc. Wait until smart watches can do more. Right now, they aren't even that smart.

Plan to buy an Apple Watch at the end of the summer -- I want it mostly for the health tracking, especially the heart rate monitor. Went and tried one a few weeks back, and really liked it.

IMG_1941.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
Any updates? I know its not an Apple watch but I'm flirting wit the Fitbit "Blaze"....I am a Fitbit user and the Apple watch doesn't seem to be compatible...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Don't want to drag the thread necessarily into politics, but, at least vaguely on the thread-subject, some are calling for an Apple boycott over the FBI cell-phone access issue and court orders. I myself am not really taking sides on it, as I don't consider myself enough of an expert on cell-phone or watch-programming to really know all that is at stake.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Sorry for adding further to the unrelated politics garbage, but the only clown I know "calling for an Apple boycott" is Trump.

Regarding topic here, no I don't have an Apple watch. I use a Garmin GPS watch for tracking my runs.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Sorry for adding further to the unrelated politics garbage, but the only clown I know "calling for an Apple boycott" is Trump.

Regarding topic here, no I don't have an Apple watch. I use a Garmin GPS watch for tracking my runs.

He's the only major figure that I know of calling for a boycott, too.....but, like I said, I'm not taking sides on it (I don't consider myself qualified to). I only mentioned it because it was a story in the news.

As far as Apple products themselves go, I have both a 2-year-old Macbook Air laptop and a somewhat older i-Phone4........and am quite happy with both. I don't see any need to buy a SmartWatch, Apple or not.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Any updates? I know its not an Apple watch but I'm flirting wit the Fitbit "Blaze"....I am a Fitbit user and the Apple watch doesn't seem to be compatible...

Once I started taking part in a weekly Fitbit competition (*cough* @mikeavelli *cough*), I quickly lost interest in the Apple Watch. Might revisit when the new one is released this year, but it would have to significantly improved.

Reactions
Apple battery watch?
I am not that kind of guy.

WP_20160324_02_11_10_Pro.jpg

A hybrid car should have a hybrid watch; Seiko Kinetic.
But for a watch i am old fashioned.

:cool:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Anyone thinking of getting the new one?

I was thinking about it, but I don't know if I need a watch when I'm sitting at a desk all day. They definitely improved the thing, though, and it might be an impulse buy if the Apple Store catches me at one of my weaker moments.

Reactions
I was thinking about it, but I don't know if I need a watch when I'm sitting at a desk all day. They definitely improved the thing, though, and it might be an impulse buy if the Apple Store catches me at one of my weaker moments.

What you need in your situation is a mechanical (or automatic) watch. A Rolex or Omega will underline your requirement of quality. Like a Lexus does...

:cool:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Try the Moto 360 watches. They have better style IMO with a classy look and a sport look and it supports iOS as well as Android OS at much better prices than the Apple Watch

mikeavelli

Reactions

Same question a year later lol...

So I had the Fitbit Blaze but lost the damn thing over the summer. I did like wearing it since it made life easy in the mornings to just put the Blaze on. But it really didn't offer much features. They have a new Ionic or something which is $299 and more upgraded but still no Apple Watch.

For now I ended up just buying the $60 Fitbit band.... Everyone I've talked to with the watch seems to love it. I'm really evaluating my entire life right now (lol) and I noticed the best thing about having the Apple Cellular Watch is being in the gym. I actually use my iPod Shuffle still. The Phone needs a stupid connector which I lost of course. And its just bulky in the gym, I hate bringing it. Also for meetings I did like the Fitbit pop up text feature, something obviously the Apple Watch has.

Now 3 months later I still haven't decided on a watch...

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
So I've been wearing my 2nd-gen Watch about a year now and as often happens, I'm now kind of lost if I go to work having forgotten to put it on. Being able to triage messages and phone calls without pulling out my phone is great, Apple Pay on the Watch is super-awesome, and if you use a Mac it can automatically log you in if you're wearing the Watch. Plus the daily fitness tracking is great, so I know what days I need to do more.

Pro tip: you can save money by getting the watch you want with the cheapest band, and then get a Chinese knockoff band for about 1/10th what Apple charges. I got the black Milanese Loop knockoff from Amazon for $12 and you can't tell it's not the $200 Apple band.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
@mikeavelli

I've had my Apple Watch now for a year, bought it Black Friday last year for a steal. Honestly, it's about the only thing that's stopping me from switching to the Google Pixel. The only thing that would make it better is LTE, which the new ones have.

I like not having to take my phone out all the time, the fitness tracking is killer and the heartrate monitor is accurate, and tapping the watch to pay feels like the future even now. My favorite feature is Siri, just holding the crown and making reminders and notes -- use it all the time.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Thought we could expand this topic a bit to all Apple, because I just got a new iPhone 8 Plus and it’s completely changed my game.

For some perspective, I’ve been using a iPhone 6 for the past three years After updating to the new iOS, it went belly up. But it hasn’t been fast for a while.

I can’t believe how amazing this thing is, and I’m about as negative about Apple as a person can be and still use their products. The iPhone 8 has restored my faith somewhat. A huge upgrade, feels like an actual mini-computer.

Anyone made a similar upgrade? Anyone want to laugh at me for using such an old phone?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
When they first came out I thought the Plus size was ludicrous, but I love my 7 Plus. The bigger screen is so useful that I just can't handle smaller phones now.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
When they first came out I thought the Plus size was ludicrous, but I love my 7 Plus. The bigger screen is so useful that I just can't handle smaller phones now.

I was really worried about dropping it at first — still am, of course, but I bought AppleCare + and it takes a lot of the pressure off.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Anybody upgrading to the 11/Pro? I'm content with my XS for the time being, but I really like the Series 5 Watch and I might pull the trigger.