Next-Generation Lexus CT to be a Compact Crossover?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-02-08-lexus-ct-2018-second-generation.jpg

Japanese website Response is reporting that the next-generation Lexus CT will grow in size and adopt the styling seen with the NX and RX crossovers.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
So like how the GLA-Class is the crossover version of the A-Class? But that would create a really ugly car like the QX30 or GLA. But the GLA-Class and NX are in the same class, so why make an uglier version of the NX?

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
The CT needs a sedan version, meaning it would need a new name, and my pick would be CS and maybe BS, lol jk. It should also have a 200t version to compete with the A3. And also a CT F to compete with the S3 and RS3. The CT F will no doubt be the most popular F model because of it's affordability

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
So like how the GLA-Class is the crossover version of the A-Class? But that would create a really ugly car like the QX30 or GLA. But the GLA-Class and NX are in the same class, so why make an uglier version of the NX?

NX is not in the GLA/Q3/X1 class. It competes against the RDX, Q5, X3, and GLK/GLC though people will cross shop the smaller German offerings since their price points with similar options hit the NX's.

I'm actually looking forward to the CT as a small crossover. It's the rumor I've also heard from a source making this a credible outcome. My only concern is the weight of this new vehicle being propelled by the Prius power plant.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
It would basically be a version of the Toyota C-HR concept
Remember that the Lexus CEO has told us that the roads between Lexus and Toyota are separated for future generations.
We're looking forward to the next new/updated model....
And this one, the CT or who knows, the CX, needs an update.

Michael

Fan
Reactions
Lexus should make supercharged V6 CT if they are thinking about making a F version of the CT crossover. The next gen CT should have hand gesturing in the Mercedes S class.

Reactions
I hope it will be only a version of the ct, because i really like the sporty feeling of the first gen.
And YES it really needs a bigger engine. 200t would be perfect for it. Or maybe the big hybrid of the IS?

Btw its my first entry here in forum ;-) hey there

Reactions
Since SCION has been folded back into TOYOTA, the Scion tC (which the CT shares some chassis architecture with if I remember correctly) will be discontinued in August. So a new platform for the next gen CT makes sense. The beauty of TNGA?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
NX is not in the GLA/Q3/X1 class. It competes against the RDX, Q5, X3, and GLK/GLC though people will cross shop the smaller German offerings since their price points with similar options hit the NX's.

I'm actually looking forward to the CT as a small crossover. It's the rumor I've also heard from a source making this a credible outcome. My only concern is the weight of this new vehicle being propelled by the Prius power plant.

we had spyshots of camoed, lifted CT 2 years back , so no doubt there will be a SUV version... now lets see if that ends up only version of CT or not. Toyota "version" of small SUV based on same platform (TNGA) is going to be shown in next 3 weeks or so.

That is going to have same powertrain as Prius too, so it will give us some preview of "performance". For Europe though, that would be a large engine in its class.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

I think of the Prius V, which was just awful to drive. Acceleration was brutal. There's no way Lexus puts out a vehicle that slow, so I have to question the idea of the 1.8L as the core powertrain.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think of the Prius V, which was just awful to drive. Acceleration was brutal. There's no way Lexus puts out a vehicle that slow, so I have to question the idea of the 1.8L as the core powertrain.

This would be smaller than Prius, let alone Prius v.

It will certainly have 1.8l engine too, because its core markets are Europe and Japan where that engine is middle-spec... most of competition start with smaller engines than that and those are usually best sellers. So it fits perfectly.

Toyota version of same small suv platform should be C-HR, and thats rumored to have 1.2t turbo engine as well as 1.8l. I am assuming it will also have 1.6l, and 1.6l D4D but lets see.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
This would be smaller than Prius, let alone Prius v.

It will certainly have 1.8l engine too, because its core markets are Europe and Japan where that engine is middle-spec... most of competition start with smaller engines than that and those are usually best sellers. So it fits perfectly.

Toyota version of same small suv platform should be C-HR, and thats rumored to have 1.2t turbo engine as well as 1.8l. I am assuming it will also have 1.6l, and 1.6l D4D but lets see.

The 1.8L LHD would not survive in N.A, sales-wise, with a +10s 0-60 and 40K pricetag (optioned) in this low fuel-price market. With that said, I have a feeling the 2L Turbo will make its way into the car, possibly detuned for 220 hp to not compete too closely to the NX. I'm hoping the 2.5L LHD will be the Hybrid engine choice for this cross-over. These engine offerings would align perfectly with the current Lexus NX and RX CUV offerings of gas and hybrid engine options.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The 1.8L LHD would not survive in N.A, sales-wise, with a +10s 0-60 and 40K pricetag (optioned) in this low fuel-price market. With that said, I have a feeling the 2L Turbo will make its way into the car, possibly detuned for 220 hp to not compete too closely to the NX. I'm hoping the 2.5L LHD will be the Hybrid engine choice for this cross-over. These engine offerings would align perfectly with the current Lexus NX and RX CUV offerings of gas and hybrid engine options.

Not sure thats going to happen - CT200h sells well for what it is, and SUV version will double the sales easily... 2.0t is way too strong for such small car and of course if you use same engines, just make it 2" smaller, then there could be no differentiation between it and NX.

I expect that Toyota will have to come out with engine between 1.2t and 2.0t to fit cars like these, that replace 1.8l/2.0l petrols currently.

Again, this is for Europe and Japan and hence engines will be tailored for those markets.

In the NA, if they made CX 2.0t and make it same as NX 2.0t then the price difference would be $1k-2k max and then everyone will complain how it is same price and ask why does it exist.

Reactions
This is the upcoming CX model that is due next year and sits underneath the NX.

It is in addition to not replacing the CT200

The CT will continue in its current form until the next generation in 18/19.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Toyota announced today that C-HR will be built in Turkey, they invested a lot of money to increase production by 130,000 per year., while new engines will be produced in Wales and will be 1.8l from new Prius.

C-HR show car is 4350mm in lenght and 2640mm in wheelbase - which is one size smaller than Rav4 overall BUT wheelbase is very similar to Rav4 wheelbase actually, they are almost the same. Since it has sloping roofline, lets assume that interior will be slightly smaller, less head space at back and smaller trunk but overall very close sized with smaller overhangs.

The Japanese automaker will invest $450 million in the project, with plans calling for annual output of some 180,000 units.

The vehicles will be shipped to more than 50 countries, mainly in Europe but also in the Middle East and northern Africa. Production will likely be split evenly between gasoline and hybrid models.

Toyota had few small SUVs in its lineup despite the growing global popularity of the class.

Automakers such as Renault and Ford Motor have used Turkey as a base for exporting to Europe. Toyota makes the Corolla compact and Verso minivan in Adapazari in western Turkey. It exported 82,000 of the 116,000 vehicles produced there in 2015.

The addition of the C-HR will boost Toyota's total capacity in the country from about 150,000 now to 280,000 by 2017. The automaker expects to add more than 1,000 employees at the plant.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...off-Turkish-production-of-small-SUV-this-year