In Conversation with Lexus USA General Manager Jeff Bracken

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-02-03-lexus-rc-jb.jpg

An interview with Lexus USA General Manager Jeff Bracken discussing the new F Performance Racing team and a new pilot program for Lexus dealerships.
View the original article post

Last edited:

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
I just drove the GX 460 and the newest RX 350 side-by-side. It is amazing how the GX still feels significantly nicer than the all-new RX. I would recommend many people to ditch the options in the GX if they were to choose between the two with a strict budget. I would credit the ride quality to the V8 and the platform. I think the GX 460 might ride better than even the LS 460.

Reactions
Any chance at all that they think about offering a manual again in the IS and RC ? With them being back in Motorsports and all...a manual could reel in a deal from enthusiast buyers who might be looking at a BMW.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Any chance at all that they think about offering a manual again in the IS and RC ? With them being back in Motorsports and all...a manual could reel in a deal from enthusiast buyers who might be looking at a BMW.

Agreed. I understand that with modern technology automatics/dual clutch transmissions may be quicker, but sometimes people just want that driver involvement. Plus, most cars don't ever really see track time so those fractions of a second difference don't really mean all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Thanking the heavens that corporate appreciates GX's success... Makes me feel confident we'll have another one. Just can't wait to see it!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Between Bracken's comments about how surprised they have been with the GX's success, and Templin's comments about there being a place in the lineup for a BOF SUV such as the LX (and omitting GX), it just makes me rather uncertain about what the future holds.

With GX getting long in the tooth, I can only hope that it's name will live on in a unibody vehicle that still has a lot of capability and the required hardware. I would love for it to remain BOF, but I just don't think that's realistic anymore...

Jeep has handled the Grand Cherokee's transition very well... hopefully Toyota/Lexus can do the same.

Reactions
I wouldn't count on seeing a manual transmission from Lexus ANYTIME soon. And we probably wont be seeing a dual-clutch anytime soon either because AISIN just wrapped up the 10-Speed and the LEXUS engineers do not feel there is a huge advantage in going dual-clutch. So unless there is a change in actual engineering personnel, don't expect either.

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
Great interview. The mention of the 50/50 split of cars versus SUV sales is interesting, especially when the January sales report is considered. Virtually all the car models saw a year over year decline and the SUV all saw an increase. Granted the NX is a huge success and many of my customers are now making the jump from IS to NX as their young families get started. It seems as if the Lexus master plan is playing out perfectly.

Reactions
I wouldn't count on seeing a manual transmission from Lexus ANYTIME soon. And we probably wont be seeing a dual-clutch anytime soon either because AISIN just wrapped up the 10-Speed and the LEXUS engineers do not feel there is a huge advantage in going dual-clutch. So unless there is a change in actual engineering personnel, don't expect either.
Probably right, but if the itch comes for a standard, guess there's always Bimmer...bummer.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

Problem is......even at BMW, manual-transmission availability, though not gone by any means, is being cut back or eliminated on some models.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I just can't see a world with only unibody trucks especially since they are even more popular overseas. I assume the Middle East has a ton of weight in regards to the future of the LX in particular (and LC) since its so popular there.

This was another great interview KREW and Jeff really seems like a great guy. Thanks again!

Reactions
Problem is......even at BMW, manual-transmission availability, though not gone by any means, is being cut back or eliminated on some models.
Oh definitely...the availability of manuals among BMW models is unfortunately narrowing as well, with stick available mostly in the models that the enthusiasts would still buy like most of the M3,4,5 and M135i.

Reactions
SUV is definitely the trend to go. Lexus used to have the most SUV models, but nowadays most competitors have at least the same numbers of SUV if not having more in their lineup.

I would say that using the new platform of LC500 to design a flagship unibody SUV will not only give Lexus a good possibility to generate profit, but also can lift the brand recognition to another good level. The aim should be high, the big loaded Range Rover is a good reference.

Then, a 3-row crossover is the way to move the bigger number in sale. It must be quite difficult to design a 3-row people mover like a true SUV. Those MDX/new Q7/GL just look like minivans on diet to me. Lexus please try harder, and show us a better one when it comes out.

For GX, there must be some lessons learned. One of the things is that most people paying big bucks for a luxury vehicle don't want to be looked as homely boys. BoF GX is unique in luxury SUV now, especially considering its size. Still, people want that. The next gen should be quite easy. I would say that a inch wider/a inch lower/1-2 inch longer with another quality interior and an evolved exterior. A de-tuned 5.0 V8+8 speed=next GX500

Lexus has its own experience and success, and should not chase the same game as German, instead focus on its own established styles which are the core values of Lexus owners looking for.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I would say that using the new platform of LC500 to design a flagship unibody SUV will not only give Lexus a good possibility to generate profit, but also can lift the brand recognition to another good level.

That, of course, assuming the LC platform is actually large enough for a flagship SUV.