Lexus RC 200t and RC 300 AWD Added to Lexus Lineup for 2016

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-10-02-lexus-rc-200t-400x200.jpg

Lexus USA has announced two new RC models for 2016: the 241 horsepower RC 200t and the 255 horsepower RC 300 AWD.
View the original article post

Reactions
im not shocked they didnt bump the power for the turbo... still getting an IS300 when its my time

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
This is definitely a smart move from Lexus. Adding the turbo models will definitely increase their sales and brand appeal. Will we see a CT 200t? That would be a great addition to the lineup.

Reactions
Surprised no one commented on the similar power output of these 2 engine options 255 -241 hp respectively. The V6 should be way more powerful than that otherwise what's the point?

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
@LEXCROMAGNON, I had covered that in the article on the IS200. There was a miniscule MPG difference between my current F Sport and that of the upcoming 4-banger turbo.
I am looking at the ability to dip the MSRP by thousands of dollars, helping to bring the availability of the RC to more prospective buyers such as myself.
Philosophically, I still hate Lexus dumping 4-cylinder engines into everything from an RC to a full-sized GS. Yeah, the turbo has more HP and torque, but the advertised gains in gas mileage (3-4 mpg stated) will never justify me giving up a normally aspirated RWD V6 engine.
I'd have to drive an example of an IS, GS and
RC to convince me otherwise.
Lexus maintains CAFE compliance and lowers the entry level price for some models to gain more sales.
I, personally, have no interest in a 4-cylinder anything, turbo or not. But when my current leases run out on my pair of 2015's, I'll most likely be forced to accept the 4-cylinder since it seems to have become the industries go to engine du jour for all entry level models.

RAL

Reactions
@LEXCROMAGNON, I had covered that in the article on the IS200. There was a miniscule MPG difference between my current F Sport and that of the upcoming 4-banger turbo.
I am looking at the ability to dip the MSRP by thousands of dollars, helping to bring the availability of the RC to more prospective buyers such as myself.
Philosophically, I still hate Lexus dumping 4-cylinder engines into everything from an RC to a full-sized GS. Yeah, the turbo has more HP and torque, but the advertised gains in gas mileage (3-4 mpg stated) will never justify me giving up a normally aspirated RWD V6 engine.
I'd have to drive an example of an IS, GS and
RC to convince me otherwise.
Lexus maintains CAFE compliance and lowers the entry level price for some models to gain more sales.
I, personally, have no interest in a 4-cylinder anything, turbo or not. But when my current leases run out on my pair of 2015's, I'll most likely be forced to accept the 4-cylinder since it seems to have become the industries go to engine du jour for all entry level models.
We've gradually had to make the same transition.
The 4 will never be as quiet as the 6, but I am pleasantly surprised to say we are more than satisfied with the 4 in our NX ... and I still have the 6 in my ES ...
The sound of the 4 during rapid acceleration is sweet indeed!

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
We've gradually had to make the same transition.
The 4 will never be as quiet as the 6, but I am pleasantly surprised to say we are more than satisfied with the 4 in our NX ... and I still have the 6 in my ES ...
The sound of the 4 during rapid acceleration is sweet indeed!

Agreed, the better turbo4's in the better premium cars are great base engines, I was skeptical at first. I've put 30K+ miles on a Mercedes C250 turbo4 1.8L with 7 speed tranny (always driven in sport mode to minimize turbo lag), it's surprisingly satisfying from a power and NVH standpoint, smooth/refined and quiet to redline. MPG is consistently within 1 mpg of EPA numbers too driven briskly. I'm very picky about NVH and hate nearly all 4 banger offerings by mainstream automakers, but Mercedes and now Lexus know what they are doing with these latest turbo4's.

And Lexus offers the option of 3.5L 300ish hp 60 degree V6, so nobody is forced to go with the 4, thankfully. The addition of the turbo4 is not a problem (it's a plus) as long as they continue to offer V6/V8 options. Like they say, "upgrade, upgrade"...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
From Car & Driver:

The RC200t starts at $40,935, versus $43,720 for the RC350 (a savings of $2785). The entry figure for the RC300 AWD is $43,550, while the RC350 AWD checks in at $45,955 (making the lesser version $2405 cheaper). Meanwhile, beckoning those with more cash to spend—a minimum of $63,745 for the 2016 model—is the RC-F with its 467-hp, 5.0-liter V-8.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Interesting thoughts everyone. I myself think the base price of the RC turbo is a bit high.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, and I think the base price of the RC350 is on high side too. Aren't these top tier premium lux coupes all higher priced (and lower volume) than similar sedans?

Reactions: CIF

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
$2.8k is pretty large difference, especially since turbo is not slow by any means during regular driving (in gear) due to max torque from 1600rpm

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Surprised no one commented on the similar power output of these 2 engine options 255 -241 hp respectively. The V6 should be way more powerful than that otherwise what's the point?

There are two AWD options - 300 AWD and 350 AWD... no turbo there. They introduced cheaper 3.5l option to bring lower price to people who dont care about speed.